If Deerhounds Aren't What They Were

I think it would be hard too please everyone if u were start trying too breed dhx too make a type cos every one has a main agenda the way they would like the cross too go but if you were too adapt the way the Americans are breeding there staghounds be ruthless in your culling and breeding too get the certain type everybody wants but I can't see the kc reg types being any more use then what we alrdy have but I think you would struggle too find folk willing too put there bitch over another dog they haven't seen or somebody's dog that they have not seen take my dog for example he is a dhx but not a hairy type would he be excluded he has good points and bad points so what way could you take it you could not please everybody

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

having been a fan for decades i see a time nearing when the show v working type have as big a difference as show v working / racing greyhound, granted the show guys are breeding more to an almost wolf

i can trace mine back i think on the deerhound / lurcher side 8 generations or so and obviously more on the greyhound side, they've all worked way pre ban but thats not the point of this thread, altho

Posted Images

some folks will want different types / sizes..........the chap that walks woodland and copses will rate agility brains and tenacity over size and speed ..........the chap that walks the hillside and moorland will favour size speed and stamina, both may like similar traits like toughness, biddability, coat, etc thats why i think any kind of breeding by commitee would be doomed to failure

cracking thred lads, probably the only one on here I've read from the first page to the last! the more I read about deerhound x's the more fascinated I become about the breed, but like what has previously been said when you look on the Internet for pup's there's more dog's out there aimed at showing/pets then working lines or maybe im just looking in the wrong place?

cracking thred lads, probably the only one on here I've read from the first page to the last! the more I read about deerhound x's the more fascinated I become about the breed, but like what has previously been said when you look on the Internet for pup's there's more dog's out there aimed at showing/pets then working lines or maybe im just looking in the wrong place?

maybe just unlucky so far, when i got belle her owner had them on here, lots of history pics etc and really struggled to shift quality pups .......and she hasn't turned out too shabby..........if your after a cross platts bred gafers smart dog and the cracking 1st x's holly and bruce are cookland bred ...........i'd guess theyre only a phone call away

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3067.jpg

Get them out young enough and they'll work. He was about 6 months here and we had a day out with the shotgun.

3A12CC8F-9E98-4DB9-91DF-84E0597CB7B5-126

08050942-8C0E-4811-BEF4-0D7D4D546AD9-126

DSC_0030.jpg

My dogs are out with me from young pups, they come fishing, shooting, ferreting, shopping, on school runs, to the beach, basically everywhere I go. By the time they are 9 months to a year there isn't much they haven't seen and they start working from then.

have you a more upto date picture of him and what line is he?

size aint a problem as long as the big uns are functional, without height they aint deerhound types

big uns can be extremely functional if they are proportioned correctly, but I disagree with your comment "without height they aint deerhound types". If they have deerhound in them, they are deerhound types, with or without height.. I have two 23" deerhound types, whose ancestors are pictured in birddog's post, I also had a 29" first cross bitch, all of these, in my eyes are deerhound types.

the best dog ive seen was a saluki x deerhound greyhound it took everything was th best dog by far and ran and pissed some good dogs I agree there an oldschool dog if its not a bull x nowadays nobody wants to know but tbh ive only seen one good bull x and have been out with plenty

size aint a problem as long as the big uns are functional, without height they aint deerhound types

big uns can be extremely functional if they are proportioned correctly, but I disagree with your comment "without height they aint deerhound types". If they have deerhound in them, they are deerhound types, with or without height.. I have two 23" deerhound types, whose ancestors are pictured in birddog's post, I also had a 29" first cross bitch, all of these, in my eyes are deerhound types.

I'm of the opinion that a deerhound type needs to have some height to it. I'd be sorely disappointed if a deerhound x only reached 23". With the greatest respect, and I'm sure your 23" dogs are fantastic performers, but they aren't going to have the speed or running style of a 27/28" + dog. I'd be more inclined to say that a dog of that small size is a whippet type.

:icon_eek: Never had them called whippet types before, thats a new one.. :) as for not having speed, well I'd disagree on that, different running style to a 29" dog I agree, but a lot more versatile, whilst still maintaining the deerhound stamina and nature, but to me they are still deerhound types.

_DSC3543-24.jpg

_DSC3726-6.jpg

_DSC3582-61.jpg

DSC0056.jpg

_DSC0872-131.jpg

I could never have ran the 29" bitch through woods.. (nor could I a whippety type come to think of it)

_DSC1132-67.jpg

_DSC0372-31.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

dog on the left is a collie x, other 3 are deerhound x's

419013_10150699870939314_463084901_n.jpg

Edited by Keeps
  • Like 6