If Deerhounds Aren't What They Were

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

having been a fan for decades i see a time nearing when the show v working type have as big a difference as show v working / racing greyhound, granted the show guys are breeding more to an almost wolf

i can trace mine back i think on the deerhound / lurcher side 8 generations or so and obviously more on the greyhound side, they've all worked way pre ban but thats not the point of this thread, altho

Posted Images

having been a fan for decades i see a time nearing when the show v working type have as big a difference as show v working / racing greyhound, granted the show guys are breeding more to an almost wolfhound type standard but there just doesn't seem to be enough guys working the breed or at least breeding for purpose,............................

totally agree with sandymere.......deerhound bitches of yesteryear were 26 or 27" fast and capable probably with a wee dollop of collie in the mix but they were bred by folks using them in the field and understanding what was needed to improve the next generation that weren't too pompous to use different breeds in order to get the right traits, they can take an age to mature maybe thats one of the reasons they and their x's fell out of favour for a while as modern hunters need a mutt that catches all sorts before they're a year old..................

but maybe old fashioned guys who appreciate the good things and have a wee bit of patience will keep the breed or its crosses going

belleposing105_zps9be3f8d1.jpg

belleposing058_zps6061f11f.jpg

PURE CLASS :yes::yes::yes:

The only Deerhounds now that have any resemblance,in type and character,to the breed of old are hybrids.Id forget about sourcing Deerhoundy lurchers from the vast majority of so called pure breds,they are second rate jukels.Source a working hybrid,the nearest i see to a proper Deerhound is some of the Deerhound/grey-Collie/Grey hybrids,just because it says Deerhound on a KC pedigree,does,nt make it a Deerhound that would have been recognised in the breeds golden years.

• Like 2

The only Deerhounds now that have any resemblance,in type and character,to the breed of old are hybrids.Id forget about sourcing Deerhoundy lurchers from the vast majority of so called pure breds,they are second rate jukels.Source a working hybrid,the nearest i see to a proper Deerhound is some of the Deerhound/grey-Collie/Grey hybrids,just because it says Deerhound on a KC pedigree,does,nt make it a Deerhound that would have been recognised in the breeds golden years.

Why add any collie? What would that bring?

I've taken two seperate mates out on two seperate occasions and both deerhound x's have come back with broken toes where mine dog has has been fine I'm not saying its deerhound because there are other breeds in the mix, just wondering if any has experienced any problems with deerhounds there feet?

I have seen plenty deerhounds run to the lure and they are not impressive, they don't seam to ever commit their selfs and treat it more like a game, some would say thry are to intelligent but I have owned collie cross lurchers that chase the lure, deerhounds in my opinion are slightly lazy and won't lay themselfs out unless its the real thing.

Seeing a big fit deerhound on a hare or a deer is an experience but on the lower flat land the smaller racier ghound types in my opinion are more suited and I can say this with experience, in the highlands of Scotland running the land they bred for I can't think of another dog that would even match them, some land they run is difficult to walk over with its high heather and rocks, after a 20 min chase they are expected to keep a red stag at bay!

Deerhound owners are few and far between, the show folk it could be argued dont do the breed any good but a big percentage I know for a fact did course white hares with the different clubs when it was legal so you could say a good number if showers done as much as they could until the ban.

I know a of a few people that still work pures and if you wanted one off working stock its still possible but sadly maybe not for to meany years longer, I think sooner or later working deerhounds will be like rocking horse sh#t.

A deerhound cross from two decent animals could always turn out a decent animal.

Horses for courses

Edited by Haggis81
  • Like 3

I grew up around my uncles l and dads line of. Deerhound, greyhound lurchers in the early 90s and although I was a todler I can remember them as being very chilled out dogs with good natures. They clearly caught plenty of stuff, as I regularly saw various game hanging in the garage and some of it was much bigger than the dogs. I guess they were around 27 tts, rough coated either fawn or brindles. My old man still raves about these dogs and he is still into his dogs. There was a picture of them a few months back with me as a todller and 2 of these bitches either side in the countrymans. Good times.

Deerhound x's don't suffer from bad feet as a rule. You can slip them on real rough ground and they'll run it. Running any dog across flinty plough will soon smash their feet up.

None of mine would chase the lure, but they're hunting dogs not racing dogs. I don't consider it a fault.

• Like 1