If Deerhounds Aren't What They Were

Was on the lure a few months back and seen a guy with 3 collies and 2 deerhounds... huge feckers!....

Invited him over for a run... and was shocked at how slow the deerhounds were.... the collies werent much slower....

Now i understand.... show breeding having a detrimental effect on these dogs etc.... and these particular ones wont have been 'fit' .... but honestly... they were slow :yes: .... and looked very 'clumsy' ...

Is this how they are? .... or will these have been shite...showbred examples? ....

Ive got a video.... ill try and find it..... :thumbs: ...

Edited by Blue Pocket Rocket

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

having been a fan for decades i see a time nearing when the show v working type have as big a difference as show v working / racing greyhound, granted the show guys are breeding more to an almost wolf

i can trace mine back i think on the deerhound / lurcher side 8 generations or so and obviously more on the greyhound side, they've all worked way pre ban but thats not the point of this thread, altho

Posted Images

Was on the lure a few months back and seen a guy with 3 collies and 2 deerhounds... huge feckers!....

Invited him over for a run... and was shocked at how slow the deerhounds were.... the collies werent much slower....

Now i understand.... show breeding having a detrimental effect on these dogs etc.... and these particular ones wont have been 'fit' .... but honestly... they were slow :yes: .... and looked very 'clumsy' ...

Is this how they are? .... or will these have been shite...showbred examples? ....

I saw a pure deerhound (from Ireland) behind a hare before the ban. And it was a sight to behold. Absolutely fantastic.

Slow and clumsy were not words that you would use to describe what I saw that day.

I'm sure there is show bred overweight shit out there that can't catch a cold though.

if they was big boned mother fekers with hardly any shape to them then probs show type bpr i have never seen a pure work the land but have seen the show type run there stuppid slow big arse lumps spoild a fantastic breed in my opinion at the same show i got talking to a chap with an old type bred from workers and when the lady with the 2 big lumps came for a chat you could tell the difference the worker was smaller not as thick set well it just looked like my 1/2x dhxgh just wish i could have seen it run he told me he used to cours with them

• Like 1

if they was big boned mother fekers with hardly any shape to them then probs show type bpr i have never seen a pure work the land but have seen the show type run there stuppid slow big arse lumps spoild a fantastic breed in my opinion at the same show i got talking to a chap with an old type bred from workers and when the lady with the 2 big lumps came for a chat you could tell the difference the worker was smaller not as thick set well it just looked like my 1/2x dhxgh just wish i could have seen it run he told me he used to cours with them

The working deerhound I saw looked more like a half cross deer/grey compared to the show shite.

William Barraud - Scottish Deerhound 1843

adh.doc

or here about half way down.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/294306-for-the-saluki-fans-been-about-a-while-now/?hl=%2Bwilliam+%2Bbarraud+%2Bscottish+%2Bdeerhound+%2B1843&do=findComment&comment=3262560

The working deerhounds of the past are closer to lurchers than any modern pure bred deerhound.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 2

having been a fan for decades i see a time nearing when the show v working type have as big a difference as show v working / racing greyhound, granted the show guys are breeding more to an almost wolfhound type standard but there just doesn't seem to be enough guys working the breed or at least breeding for purpose,............................

totally agree with sandymere.......deerhound bitches of yesteryear were 26 or 27" fast and capable probably with a wee dollop of collie in the mix but they were bred by folks using them in the field and understanding what was needed to improve the next generation that weren't too pompous to use different breeds in order to get the right traits, they can take an age to mature maybe thats one of the reasons they and their x's fell out of favour for a while as modern hunters need a mutt that catches all sorts before they're a year old..................

but maybe old fashioned guys who appreciate the good things and have a wee bit of patience will keep the breed or its crosses going

belleposing105_zps9be3f8d1.jpg

belleposing058_zps6061f11f.jpg

• Like 15

This will be my Deerhound Cross's third season and the penny is just starting to drop, the frustrating thing is that her brother is turning into a good dog. Our season starts next week, the bitch will be out every Saturday this season, we can only hope. I have always been a big fan of D/hs and the crosses, long may they work.ATB.

This will be my Deerhound Cross's third season and the penny is just starting to drop, the frustrating thing is that her brother is turning into a good dog. Our season starts next week, the bitch will be out every Saturday this season, we can only hope. I have always been a big fan of D/hs and the crosses, long may they work.ATB.

any pics?

in my experience the more work they get the better.................'belle' above walks the woods dailly and when young took some bruising bumps n tumbles but seemed to learn eventually, she's even picked up on 'stalking' woodland game...........she was a pain to retrieve train somedays good but most not, then two nights ago (she's nearly 3) i was watching 'jazz' work some cover when i realised belle was missing, then from maybe 3 or 400yds away i see her coming carrying a big fat bunny straight to hand no need for the fetch or leave commands just dropped it in my hand, no hanging around for praise and then into the reeds beside jazz looking for the next as if she'd done it a thousand times

• Like 3

As mentioned IH it would be good to see some photos are they first crosses?,and if you dont mind me asking what Deerhound lines are they?,atb.

As mentioned IH it would be good to see some photos are they first crosses?,and if you dont mind me asking what Deerhound lines are they?,atb.

and pic's of your's would be most welcome mate ;) or his 'little' sis.............both crackers and great adverts for the x

The working deerhound I saw looked more like a half cross deer/grey compared to the show shite.

i got my dhxgh from Dave platts he has a couple of pure from old working stuff they looked the same as mine and very similar night too mine is 28" tts

i got my dhxgh from Dave platts he has a couple of pure from old working stuff they looked the same as mine and very similar night too mine is 28" tts

You got any pics of your half cross mate?