Aye mine fared well on that skinners..

I am gong to try Gain this season..

Going to give my older bitch Gain 20 and the younger dogs gain 28 mixed with Chicken, beef ,tripe & the odd bone or carcase to chew on..

I give them the bones on a rest day.. normally a rib cage or a neck.. I give them oily fish that day as well..

Cheers for your replies.. Food for thought :laugh:

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we all agree to disagree in what we feed our dogs. If it ain't broke no need to fix it, my dogs run/work as much as i ask them without any nutritional glitches or deficiencies. No need for cha

Just read the composition of the skinners dog foods, i wouldn't feed it to a gerbil , not that i would feed dry food anyways but it is so far from a dogs nutritional needs it is scarey. Here is the ch

My bitch had pie and chips last night after lamping. With sausage   The feeding lord will strike me down  

Ah but did you win Paulus You might have a champion show dog without knowing :toast:, I won the bullcross class at a show I never went to once, wasn’t even in the same county! I call it homeopathic showing, diluted so you can be omnipresent.

Giro I give cod liver oil but that’s part just because I always have and part to boost the fat content, I don’t use other supplements just increase the volume of feed when working hard. Increasing the volume increases the mineral amounts as well as giving extra protein to repair, more fat and carbs to supply energy. I tend to feed a bigger evening snack in the winter to help to gain the extra volume. In general in the morning I feed meat, say half a rabbit etc, along with either complete, a little more if with pasta, potatoes etc, and a few veggies and in the evening its table scraps, an egg once a week or so along with a table spoon of oil.

On rest days I feed more protein as they need to repair rather than run so it would be less complete etc and more meat ie a whole rabbit or equivalent.

I used to use every supplement known to man, SA37, electrolytes, extra vit E etc etc but as the years have passed I found that when I ran out the dogs didn’t drop off so slowly the supplements all fell by the wayside. Now I depend on a varied diet with decent meat, complete and all the rest to supply all the vitamins and minerals in a usable form and as I say when the increase the amount of food you naturally increase all those as well. Simple, double the amount of meat you double the amount of iron, potassium, sodium etc without adding a pill or powder that likely wouldn’t be absorbed anyway.

i was in staffordshire and the show was in warwickshire :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just read the composition of the skinners dog foods, i wouldn't feed it to a gerbil , not that i would feed dry food anyways but it is so far from a dogs nutritional needs it is scarey. Here is the chicken and rice composition as an example, the first two ingredients say it all really!

Maize, chicken meat meal (17.5% min), whole rice (15% min), oats, chicken fat, white fish meal, vitamins, minerals and trace elements, brewer’s yeast, culinary herb mix.

:o

• Like 3

Ah but did you win Paulus You might have a champion show dog without knowing :toast:, I won the bullcross class at a show I never went to once, wasn’t even in the same county! I call it homeopathic showing, diluted so you can be omnipresent.

Giro I give cod liver oil but that’s part just because I always have and part to boost the fat content, I don’t use other supplements just increase the volume of feed when working hard. Increasing the volume increases the mineral amounts as well as giving extra protein to repair, more fat and carbs to supply energy. I tend to feed a bigger evening snack in the winter to help to gain the extra volume. In general in the morning I feed meat, say half a rabbit etc, along with either complete, a little more if with pasta, potatoes etc, and a few veggies and in the evening its table scraps, an egg once a week or so along with a table spoon of oil.

On rest days I feed more protein as they need to repair rather than run so it would be less complete etc and more meat ie a whole rabbit or equivalent.

I used to use every supplement known to man, SA37, electrolytes, extra vit E etc etc but as the years have passed I found that when I ran out the dogs didn’t drop off so slowly the supplements all fell by the wayside. Now I depend on a varied diet with decent meat, complete and all the rest to supply all the vitamins and minerals in a usable form and as I say when the increase the amount of food you naturally increase all those as well. Simple, double the amount of meat you double the amount of iron, potassium, sodium etc without adding a pill or powder that likely wouldn’t be absorbed anyway.

i was in staffordshire and the show was in warwickshire :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well it was in a shire :laugh: did you win?????? :toast: or perhapd I did ??? as I wasn't there either!

Just read the composition of the skinners dog foods, i wouldn't feed it to a gerbil , not that i would feed dry food anyways but it is so far from a dogs nutritional needs it is scarey. Here is the chicken and rice composition as an example, the first two ingredients say it all really!

Maize, chicken meat meal (17.5% min), whole rice (15% min), oats, chicken fat, white fish meal, vitamins, minerals and trace elements, brewer’s yeast, culinary herb mix.

:o

LOL, well which do you have a problem with and why?

Don't go for the tired old allergy, can't digest, natural diet rubbish, lets stick to reallity rather than made up stuff eh :thumbs:

Ps, They do a variety of feeds I use duck and rice.

Maize and chicken meal !! don't tell me your going to stick your heels in a defend these ingredients lol come on sandy i thought more of you than this lol ok, lets hear it, sell it to me.

Edited by Sadie

During a long shift on the lamp with lots of slips it’s a good idea to boost the glucose reserves with something like small pieces of a carb type energy bar every now and then or a squirt of sugar/glucose water. I prefer the bar as it will give a slightly more stable release and so more level blood glucose. Then give a small meal as soon as its tongues back in, a handful of complete with a drink will do if away from home, this restocks reserves better/more efficiently ready for the next night

Some good advice in the above quote Sandy :thumbs: without any links aswell :laugh:

Edited by C Hall

Maize and chicken meal !! don't tell me your going to stick your heels in a defend these ingredients lol come on sandy i thought more of you than this lol ok, lets hear it, sell it to me.

Whats wrong with them, carbs and protein in a digestable form you have the problem tell me whats wrong with them?

Skinners at the mo, duck and rice,.

As an addition to the above....

During a long shift on the lamp with lots of slips its a good idea to boost the glucose reserves with something like small pieces of a carb type energy bar every now and then or a squirt of sugar/glucose water. I prefer the bar as it will give a slightly more stable release and so more level blood glucose. Then give a small meal as soon as its tongues back in, a handful of complete with a drink will do if away from home, this restocks reserves better/more efficiently ready for the next night

Im feeding exactly the same as you at the moment only with gain 28 instead of skinners and seeing great results.

I've also dropped all the wonder supplements except cod liver oil a few times a week.

I've been mixing up a drink of water, salt and sugar with a splash of blackcurrant or orange. Home made lucozade if you like. For in the car after a hard shift.

Is there any benefit to this do you think? Or would it be more beneficial between runs?

Thanks

Gaz

During a long shift on the lamp with lots of slips it’s a good idea to boost the glucose reserves with something like small pieces of a carb type energy bar every now and then or a squirt of sugar/glucose water. I prefer the bar as it will give a slightly more stable release and so more level blood glucose. Then give a small meal as soon as its tongues back in, a handful of complete with a drink will do if away from home, this restocks reserves better/more efficiently ready for the next night

Some good advice in the above quote Sandy :thumbs: without any links aswell :laugh:

Just for you

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9361887

During a long shift on the lamp with lots of slips its a good idea to boost the glucose reserves with something like small pieces of a carb type energy bar every now and then or a squirt of sugar/glucose water. I prefer the bar as it will give a slightly more stable release and so more level blood glucose. Then give a small meal as soon as its tongues back in, a handful of complete with a drink will do if away from home, this restocks reserves better/more efficiently ready for the next night

Im feeding exactly the same as you at the moment only with gain 28 instead of skinners and seeing great results.

I've also dropped all the wonder supplements except cod liver oil a few times a week.

I've been mixing up a drink of water, salt and sugar with a splash of blackcurrant or orange. Home made lucozade if you like. For in the car after a hard shift.

Is there any benefit to this do you think? Or would it be more beneficial between runs?

Thanks

Gaz

I wouldn't bother with the salt but the juice/sugar water would be a quick absorbing energy for during and after, depending how long you’re out and how many runs. I never thought of using a squash but as long as its not a low sugar one its likely to contain a mix of sugars, sucrose, fructose etc and an easy way of doing it. :thumbs: learn something new every day.

Edited by sandymere

Thanks

Gaz

I wouldn't bother with the salt but the juice/sugar water would be a quick absorbing energy for during and after, depending how long youre out and how many runs. I never thought of using a squash but as long as its not a low sugar one its likely to contain a mix of sugars, sucrose, fructose etc and an easy way of doing it. :thumbs: learn something new every day.

That was what I thought. Thanks.

I don't take it with me every time we go. Just if

I know it's gonna be a tough shift with some big gruelling runs. We are nipping out tonight but its gonna be 2 hours tops, couple of bunnys that's all, so I won't bother.

I try to think of it like an athlete. If I'm going a quick 3 mile run around the block I don't need a drink or anything. If I'm going the gym for a 2 hour double circuit training class then I will take a bottle of lucozade to help keep me going.

it dont matter what yer feed yer dogs as long as there isnt a yard full of shit everyday you know the dog is doing ok,ive tried the lot £40 £50 a bag i now feed a worker food from a local store or berriewoods own working food £10!!solid shits and not loads of it dogs doing well.

some of the best dogs ive seen have been fed on £10 a bag stuff and bits of meat they catch with table scraps.

just feed the dogs and get em out!!

• Like 1

In general people get excessive shite because they over feed or they don't understand that you get more shite from a healthy digestion, ie gut bacteria breaking down fibre (good bacteria) bulk up the stool and moisten it a fair bit, this is reduced when only fed meat as less bacterial activity so less is not always better.

Dogs fed complete will shite more than those only fed meat, good, but it shouldn't be excessive. Dogs feed complete and meat etc should produce sensible amounts between the two.

Common sense and kennel management really.