Kennel Cough

how is it that packs seem to get the cough this time of year,i suppose it being airborn as a virus is how it gets about, i see the heythrop have cancelled their terrier show,and i think it was mentioned that some packs up country would,nt get to p,boro and if they did get there,then they were,nt allowed to honiton,it seems to be they always get it the nearer the season comes closer,anyone throw any light on this?,could it be that when you have visitors in kennels that they may have been around domestic kennels that have the cough and then its carried on unawares, i had it here one year and it went through my terriers like a dosh of salts, leaving me dogless for a good while,and confining them to very little exercise and at the time i think that was the only answer and having shares in bennelyn.

It's a combination of many different factors but this time of year most packswill be exercising on bikes therefore covering much more ground and maybe coming into contact with cur dogs on hound exercise add that to all the shows, parades, open days etc and it's easy to see how it can spread through the hunting community

• Like 2

how is it that packs seem to get the cough this time of year,i suppose it being airborn as a virus is how it gets about, i see the heythrop have cancelled their terrier show,and i think it was mentioned that some packs up country would,nt get to p,boro and if they did get there,then they were,nt allowed to honiton,it seems to be they always get it the nearer the season comes closer,anyone throw any light on this?,could it be that when you have visitors in kennels that they may have been around domestic kennels that have the cough and then its carried on unawares, i had it here one year and it went through my terriers like a dosh of salts, leaving me dogless for a good while,and confining them to very little exercise and at the time i think that was the only answer and having shares in bennelyn.

I used to keep track greyhounds and they were very prone to pick up kennel cough because of the kennelling up in different race tracks around the country.I used just honey aqnd a spray of antiseptic throat spray and it would clear it up in a matter of a few days.

apparently its not the normal cough this year, more virilent strain, not heard a lot about it.

Luckily we've avoided it but seen a few pics from southern packs and its the worst Iv even seen, 2 packs have lost hounds from what Iv heard :-(

I was alway led to believe it was only transmitted by contact & not airborne?

Edited by alimac

try this if you can get ahold of it,, I got caught up in an outbreak of the cough a couple of years back, this workefor me,,, tylan 200 in powder form , mix at the recommended dosage for pigs what I recall to be .5g to a ltr =1 heaped teaspoon to 2 gallons of water, desolve it in warm water them add to drinking water , feed your dogs dry meal so they drink more & keep this on for 5-7 days, this done the job for me ,,. tylan 200 is a pom & is only available via a vet or you may be able to get it from a pig farmer or a large poultry outfit ,,atb