Pre Ban Deer

Bitch we have here now is almost 29", doesn't struggle on anything, picks rabbits up no bother, doesn't get outmanoeuvred for agility or turning ability on anything else either, and makes a mockery of many lurchers smaller than her, turning-wise, and is very quick off the mark, and seen many other taller types do the same. If a tall dog keeps balance and doesn't turn out too heavy, they're going to be of more use and more versatile than a smaller dog, maybe not as ferreting dogs, but everything else, especially lamping. And no, that hasn't come from any books

More versatile? What can a 29" dog do that a 25" dog can't do, unless it weighs 100lbs? :hmm:

Does it ever get into top gear? If so, I suggest that the lurchers it makes a mockery of, turning wise, must be shite?

Cheers, D.

It can run a lot faster!

All this talk of big dogs needing big fields to wind up to top speed and not being able to turn is nonsense.

My dog is 30" TTS and is at top speed in 5 strides. That top speed is significantly more than a 25" dog can achieve.

• Like 2

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this big dog little dog rubbish is just to much,good deer dogs come in all sizes and flavours fact.

I've read this whole shit thread and have came up with a few conclusions.   Suzy Ross needs a good shag to settle her down. Kranky lives up to his name C hall has never killed a deer in his life

Shame this topic could not of been about old stories folk had with dogs on deer

Posted Images

Bitch we have here now is almost 29", doesn't struggle on anything, picks rabbits up no bother, doesn't get outmanoeuvred for agility or turning ability on anything else either, and makes a mockery of many lurchers smaller than her, turning-wise, and is very quick off the mark, and seen many other taller types do the same. If a tall dog keeps balance and doesn't turn out too heavy, they're going to be of more use and more versatile than a smaller dog, maybe not as ferreting dogs, but everything else, especially lamping. And no, that hasn't come from any books

More versatile? What can a 29" dog do that a 25" dog can't do, unless it weighs 100lbs? :hmm:

Does it ever get into top gear? If so, I suggest that the lurchers it makes a mockery of, turning wise, must be shite?

Cheers, D.

It can run a lot faster!

All this talk of big dogs needing big fields to wind up to top speed and not being able to turn is nonsense.

My dog is 30" TTS and is at top speed in 5 strides. That top speed is significantly more than a 25" dog can achieve.

Cheers, D.

It can run a lot faster!

all depends on the animal in question while i agree tall animals can and are in some cases fast of the mark , that can also be said of any animal regardless of height. has for the 25 inch animal all things equal plenty high it all depends on ta breeding and the quality of the said animals in question some can run most ground lots have problems running most. irrelevant of height atb bunnnys..

theres a vas tdifference between quick and fast , ova thirty yds no thirty inch animal his gonna be quicker than a small 23 inch anmimal from good stock ,speed ova any further distance his so different ,blink and some animals have gone ,whilst the larger animal would be left in his wake ,running for speed his totally different ,the opposite to sharp dashes ,atb bunnys.

• Like 1

That's why I said quick and fast. I'm aware of the difference. I'm also aware of the perception of speed and how people think that the manic strides of a small dog are actually faster than the more leisurely stretched out strides of a big dog. This isn't the case. Watch the lurcher racing or simulated coursing at a game fair, you'll be able to see the difference then.

As this thread relates to dogs used for pre ban deer, even if a smaller dog could reach 30 yards first, it's a moot point and would be of no benefit to the smaller dog.

Cheers, D.

More versatile as in running /lamping rough ground or where a shorter dog's field of vision WILL be impeded due to height of grass/cover etc, and top gear within a few strides, very quick off the mark. And at 70 lb, she'd have more than enough power. Why does a dog have to weigh 100 lbs to theoretically be strong enough for deer? Seen more than one or two weigh 50lb or less do the job in the past

how many 30" greyhounds won the waterloo cup or the derby ? i'd like to bet a few at 25" did

sure master mcgrath weighed in around fifty 4 pounds be a poor thity inch animal at that weight . but i suppose if one his running preban deer ova vast distances the taller animal shoiuld have the edge that hisall beng equal FUNNY THING with animals bred for performance there all different ,what eva the height .atb bunnys.

I think the problem is a lot of people have only seen smaller dogs work because they started working them after the ban. There has been a definite shift towards smaller dogs since the ban and peoples opinions of big dogs are based on rumour and fallacies and not based on first hand experience. Those of us that have always worked larger dogs know what they are capable of and what to expect.

• Like 2

how many 30" greyhounds won the waterloo cup or the derby ? i'd like to bet a few at 25" did

sure master mcgrath weighed in around fifty 4 pounds be a poor thity inch animal at that weight . but i suppose if one his running preban deer ova vast distances the taller animal shoiuld have the edge that hisall beng equal FUNNY THING with animals bred for performance there all different ,what eva the height .atb bunnys.

ps may i quote to add i can only see a thirty inch dog having the edge running in deep heather where by the deerhound itself was evolved to run in .atb bunnys.

• Like 1

I think the problem is a lot of people have only seen smaller dogs work because they started working them after the ban. There has been a definite shift towards smaller dogs since the ban and peoples opinions of big dogs are based on rumour and fallacies and not based on first hand experience. Those of us that have always worked larger dogs know what they are capable of and what to expect.

kranky i agree in some of your quotes but not all of us have no experience with the taller breeds of animals we have run doherty bred dogs ,bitches of 26 and dogs of around the 29 inch mark also aardinglas deerhound greys ,,we are not all walking in the shadows of some and yes i have witnessed 25 inch animals to be on parwith them and in some cases outperform them .lioke as said there all individuall animals ,the deerhound in any lurcher adds quality that theres no denying , but theyre not the be all end all of preban deerrhunting .atb bunnys.

• Like 1

What size dog have you got Bunnys? I've got a 30" dog, we should have a run together and see how we get on and who's dog proves to be the most versatile. We can try some different ground and different conditions. We can even see how they do for speed and quickness. Then we can have a pint afterwards and compare notes.

What size dog have you got Bunnys? I've got a 30" dog, we should have a run together and see how we get on and who's dog proves to be the most versatile. We can try some different ground and different conditions. We can even see how they do for speed and quickness. Then we can have a pint afterwards and compare notes.

kranky at the moment i only have a 24 inch bitch ,and she be only for rabbs nothing more or less ,and yas welcome any time ova here fella i only run the bunnies these days i am quite well aware the speeed a thirty inch dog can reach i run tipps and all sorts the grounds that suits my slow mo the ground that suits a thinker with self pres ervation in mind we dont keep the larger animals no more just wasna woth the grief where we are , atb bunnys.

• Like 1