Pre Ban Deer

Kranky the best larger dog I witnessed run for a few seasons was around the 30tts he accounted for some gear and was a handy animal but it was down to his brilliant strike not his turning :no: which was typical of a dog his size, comparing his turning to a smaller dog would be like comparing the turning circle of a bus :clapper: to a mini :yes: yes he was faster in a straight line but that rarely if ever made a difference or his game bag fuller at the end of the night than the smaller dogs he was ran with :no:

Edited by C Hall

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this big dog little dog rubbish is just to much,good deer dogs come in all sizes and flavours fact.

I've read this whole shit thread and have came up with a few conclusions.   Suzy Ross needs a good shag to settle her down. Kranky lives up to his name C hall has never killed a deer in his life

Shame this topic could not of been about old stories folk had with dogs on deer

Posted Images

Kranky the best larger dog I witnessed run for a few seasons was around the 30tts he accounted for some gear and was a handy animal but it was down to his brilliant strike not his turning :no: which was typical of a dog his size, comparing his turning to a smaller dog would be like comparing the turning circle of a bus :clapper: to a mini :yes: yes he was faster in a straight line but that rarely if ever made a difference or his game bag fuller at the end of the night than the smaller dogs he was ran with :no:

I totally agree with you. Comparing the way a big dog turns with a small dog isn't valid. However that doesn't mean a big dog can't turn well. As this thread is about pre ban deer, the ability of a dog to turn through 180 degrees in its own body length was not essential. However, the requirement for a dog to get up to top speed fast and have enough speed to close on a deer that's dropping gears all the time was a pretty important factor. Even a CWD that turns a dog inside out wouldn't evade a big dog unless that dog was a heavyset wanker with no ability to turn.

post-88284-0-49804800-1383210475.jpg

this is the type I keep hardly what you would call a heavy type 28" and under 70lb and was rarely straight lined by his quarry ...he was put over his sister who is around the 26 " and I kept a bitch back that is around the 24"-25" mark so genetically she is as close to her parents as you can get but is smaller but she is faster than her sire and dam so I still have to disagree that because a dog is bigger its faster and I can assure you I have seen the right thing

Edited by MIK
  • Like 4

Yes speed was certainly a factor but a dog did not have to be 30tts to be fast enough :no: using crop fields as an example to say taller dogs were better on deer is just silly :bye:

I never said that taller dogs were better because of crops. Due to their different running styles, deer always had the advantage over dogs in crops or tall grass.

Speed was essential. How many times did you watch as a fallow buck straightlined your dogs and wished that your dogs were just that bit faster? There are some that will never be caught and will outpace any dog but even the owners of the fastest dogs wish there was as little bit more speed available to get on terms with them.

So I say a bigger, faster dog is better for that reason.

attachicon.gif140.JPG

this is the type I keep hardly what you would call a heavy type 28" and under 70lb and was rarely straight lined by his quarry ...he was put over his sister who is around the 26 " and I kept a bitch back that is around the 24"-25" mark so genetically she is as close to her parents as you can get but is smaller but she is faster than her sire and dam so I still have to disagree that because a dog is bigger its faster and I can assure you I have seen the right thing

He's still in good shape Mik. How olds he now?How are the rest of the pups doing?

Yes speed was certainly a factor but a dog did not have to be 30tts to be fast enough :no: using crop fields as an example to say taller dogs were better on deer is just silly :bye:

Its a valid example of where smaller dogs cannot compete, whether you choose to accept it or not. During the roe buck season probably 70% of the crop fields around here are up so even if a course started in a field with short grass etc from a 200+ yard slip chances are a field with longer crops was likely to feature at some point within the run. To have a small dog follow a deer into a high field and become immediately unsighted or spend half it energy trying to bounce out of the crop and end up getting straight lined was frustrating.

I am not saying that smaller dogs will in all circumstances be worse on deer than taller dogs, but for the most part when legally running deer in years gone by, in daylight hours etc etc a dog being at least 26+" like the one that MIK posted was an advantage if this was the quarry you wanted to focus on.

• Like 1

Its a valid example of where smaller dogs cannot compete, whether you choose to accept it or not. During the roe buck season probably 70% of the crop fields around here are up so even if a course started in a field with short grass etc from a 200+ yard slip chances are a field with longer crops was likely to feature at some point within the run. To have a small dog follow a deer into a high field and become immediately unsighted or spend half it energy trying to bounce out of the crop and end up getting straight lined was frustrating.

I am not saying that smaller dogs will in all circumstances be worse on deer than taller dogs, but for the most part when legally running deer in years gone by, in daylight hours etc etc a dog being at least 26+" like the one that MIK posted was an advantage if this was the quarry you wanted to focus on.

As I have already said I would of waited until fields were cut or went somewhere else I never had no desire to run any deer through crop fields :no:

As I have already said I would of waited until fields were cut or went somewhere else I never had no desire to run any deer through crop fields :no:

and when your trying to do it with a small dog I can understand why you wouldnt want to! lol

its not like the conditions favor the dog! what ever the size

140.JPG

In fairness, although he's deep and wide in the chest, I don't consider him to be overly heavy. When I was young dogs like him were commonplace.

I'd give him kennel space.

and when your trying to do it with a small dog I can understand why you wouldnt want to! lol

its not like the conditions favor the dog! what ever the size

I wouldn't want to do it with any size dog :laugh: I have done it in my youth before I knew better :laugh: with dogs of varying sizes.

Some people just never learn though :laugh:

Edited by C Hall