Pre Ban Deer

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this big dog little dog rubbish is just to much,good deer dogs come in all sizes and flavours fact.

I've read this whole shit thread and have came up with a few conclusions.   Suzy Ross needs a good shag to settle her down. Kranky lives up to his name C hall has never killed a deer in his life

Shame this topic could not of been about old stories folk had with dogs on deer

Posted Images

Some big dogs turn like a buss but not all of them everyone I have owned have been good in the bends recovered well too after a good run and got back in the run fast after a sharp turn the big dog in the pic I put up he could turn very well and amount for pleanty of rabbits and hares fox and dear in his time

• Like 1

lapin2008 Yes I am well aware of the seasons but as I have explained running any deer through long crops is not what it was about for me :no: if I wanted to run roe bucks I would of found short fields or waited until the fields were cut :yes:

have you seen a big dog run and take it high crops?

This little bitch (24") Done many a fox in its time.Took its first roe at 30 month solo.Undi had its sister Meg.Took its first roe at 11 month.Out working in front of us.Then took of on a scent.Found her about 7 mins later holding a live roe by the neck.

Im surprised your sober enough to count to 7

As for running through crops some stuff up here is not cut until Oct some years One of the best slips I saw was through wheat the advantage is definitely in favour of the quarry through long stuff with the style of running between dog and deer

• Like 3

lapin2008 Yes I am well aware of the seasons but as I have explained running any deer through long crops is not what it was about for me :no: if I wanted to run roe bucks I would of found short fields or waited until the fields were cut :yes:

Yes.

Bitch we have here now is almost 29", doesn't struggle on anything, picks rabbits up no bother, doesn't get outmanoeuvred for agility or turning ability on anything else either, and makes a mockery of many lurchers smaller than her, turning-wise, and is very quick off the mark, and seen many other taller types do the same. If a tall dog keeps balance and doesn't turn out too heavy, they're going to be of more use and more versatile than a smaller dog, maybe not as ferreting dogs, but everything else, especially lamping. And no, that hasn't come from any books

• Like 1

theres also the argument that the racier/faster types overshoot a little more because of they're speed, imo they also lack that wee bit of weight needed at the end of the run, are we looking for perfection ? at the end of the day its whats inside the dog that gets the job done thats important

• Like 1

theres also the argument that the racier/faster types overshoot a little more because of they're speed, imo they also lack that wee bit of weight needed at the end of the run, are we looking for perfection ? at the end of the day its whats inside the dog that gets the job done thats important

I agree with that to an extent, but as I've said, if a dog has good balance/coordination and isn't too heavy, then as with any type/height etc, with experience the overshooting etc is minimized. And over the years I've seen plenty of smaller types less agile than many taller, but not too heavy types.

Yes.

lol :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 2

Bitch we have here now is almost 29", doesn't struggle on anything, picks rabbits up no bother, doesn't get outmanoeuvred for agility or turning ability on anything else either, and makes a mockery of many lurchers smaller than her, turning-wise, and is very quick off the mark, and seen many other taller types do the same. If a tall dog keeps balance and doesn't turn out too heavy, they're going to be of more use and more versatile than a smaller dog, maybe not as ferreting dogs, but everything else, especially lamping. And no, that hasn't come from any books

More versatile? What can a 29" dog do that a 25" dog can't do, unless it weighs 100lbs? :hmm:

Does it ever get into top gear? If so, I suggest that the lurchers it makes a mockery of, turning wise, must be shite?

Cheers, D.

• Like 2