Fitter Type English Bull Terrier

Im only discussing too... but thats how this all started ...I stated unlike Staffords...there was no game tested line or best bred to best line of Bull terriers , all are show / pet dogs..best to best show winners... the Staffords and wheaten all worked good, no one would bring a dog to a trials who would'nt work, and thats the reason why there was very few Bull terriers at trials, very few made the grade... the rules ware very strict ... it only took a little error for the dog to be diquaified ... Your not saying what these Bull terriers with good conformation win..again and again ? so I can't comment... as for harder sports than trials ..as a breed Bull terrers are very poor....

• Like 5

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Tinker belonged to an old school pal of mine from the mid 60's, and we still hunt together albeit at a slower pace. Tinker and Handy ( Red Hand of Ulster to give him his full name) were both bred

One for those interested in Wheatens... from the 1970s.... I had to crop it as the man in photo might not like it,,,    

No there was a wee dog from Limerick called "The Gallant Hendrix", Handy and Tinker, which were the only dogs of this breed I remember seeing certifying, which may be a contributing factor as to why t

Posted Images

It's simple... The Bull terrier, EBT, whatever you want to call it, was purpose bred by James Hinks for the show bench, FACT...!! No more no less..!

Over the water, where they trialed dogs on the 70's & 80's, bull terrier owners would have given some the opportunity, no different to now if we could have the same chance, some went, many didn't... No different to what would happen now.

Bolio, Carlovian please set the record straight, did the owners of those famous BT's kept kennels full of 'em, best to best because they were that good...??

Bull Terriers are just that, Bull Terriers... so some will be capable, most wouldn't be... But don't think they are sommat they are not...

Oh yer, Neil, those pics that you put up, were taken down because they were someone elses dogs... :yes:

It's simple... The Bull terrier, EBT, whatever you want to call it, was purpose bred by James Hinks for the show bench, FACT...!! No more no less..!

Over the water where they trialed dogs on the 70's & 80's bull terrier owners would have given some the opportunity, no different to now if we could have the same chance, some went, many didn't... No different to what would happen now.

Bolio, Carlovian please set the record straight, did the owners of those famous BT's kept kennels full of 'em, best to best because they were that good...??

Bull Terriers are just that, Bull Terriers... so some will be capable, most wouldn't be... But don't think they are sommat they are not...

well said and im a fan of the bull terrier and I don't doubt that some are mor than capable of doing some work and it would be nice to see proper workers being bred best to best to see if hey can get something going

Over the water where they trialed dogs on the 70's & 80's bull terrier owners would have given some the opportunity, no different to now if we could have the same chance, some went, many didn't... No different to what would happen now.

well said and im a fan of the bull terrier and I don't doubt that some are mor than capable of doing some work and it would be nice to see proper workers being bred best to best to see if hey can get something going

As someone who like BT's too mate, its a nice pipe dream but who has got that time, money and heart.. Because that heart would break, i'd bet....!

Over in Pakistan, or where ever those throwbacks are supposed to be, remember... They were left with those dogs when the Empire died, they made use of 'em and fair play but over how many generations and though I'm just surmising, I'd put money down that when they first seen those American dogs go, when they became truly global, time started ticking for them white dogs...

Not being argumental but because there was some trials with some badgers in the 70s and ebt didn't excell doesn't mean they are not a usefull game dog ebt have proved there worth at all sorts of game from when they were created to the present day in all parts of the world a few badger trials aren't the defining factor of these dogs

A short perusal of any amount of journals that span generations of sporting dog activity should serve to inform of the lack of any significant success of the EBT in fast lane competition. While I can empathise with loyal fanciers of this manufactured breed, I can't compare them favourably against Wheatens, Staffs nor especially the yank dogs. The fact that some modern strains may have better conformation is irrelevant because breeding for conformation is precisely what show breeders do. Breeding winner to winner will take care of both conformation and character, as form follows function....and the proper pitbul manages to come out a winner without recourse to a deformed skull.

• Like 5

I remember reading over in Germany they done all sorts with the EBT,personal protection,tracking wounded game,and catching boar.

I've never seen any of this myself and apparently they had problems with breed specific legislation and the working EBT struggled to recover.

But if all thats true and they were capable dogs to me that's more impressive than dragging a badger out of a hole quietly,but I'm not a terrier man.