Froch V Groves

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it'll take a better fighter than George Groves to show how old Carl Froch is getting. . What we have here is world class v domestic class, they just so happen to both British and in the same w

Its a no win situation for Froch and a no lose situation for Groves.....................i quite fancy Groves to pull off an upset Adam Booth is a very good tactician and Groves has the discipline to s

A good match up plenty of intrest should fill the venue. groves in at the deep end gets found out only my opinion.

Are'nt they both out of the same stable?? Didn't Groves not spar with Kessler when Froch was fighting him? Think Froch will beat him pretty easily tbh.

No they are not out of the same gym.....Froch had a bit of a tantrum because Groves went out to spar Kessler in the build up to their fight.....he felt it was disloyal....which,as much as i like Froch as a fighter,was a pretty daft thing to say......

Groves is a youngster on the way up why would he pass on an opportunity to spar a world champion...personally i think it was merely an angle as he knows how the game works and knew he would be fighting Groves soon so it starts " a grudge "

You seem a straight enough chap Stig....fancy a little wager just to add a bit of interest ?........Keeping in mind your man is 1/5 favorite of course :D

win or name a round ? .........

Great fight. Agree it's a win win for Groves, going up against a genuine world star, on HBO tv, boat load of cash I assume.

If he gets the victory, he's catapulted into other potential mega fights, if he loses, he's young and fresh enough to come again.

I think Groves can hurt Froch, he's a serious banger and developed real accuracy at long range, Froch has a great chin but been hurt by Taylor and buzzed by Kessler, he's not invincible, and there's only so many wars you can come through, hIs recuperative powers will undoubtedly diminish with age. It's not as if Froch is an ageing fighter like Bernard Hopkins who is a defensive master and hardly takes any shots so can keep going even though he's nearly 50, Carl has been in brutal fights throughout his career, and that's got to catch up with him at some stage.

As gnasher says, Groves trainer Adam Booth will devise a great gameplan and Groves has proved he can follow one, like he did in the Degale fight.

Big problem that Groves has got I think, is that he isn't great at short or medium range, not very cute in the inside and gets nailed with a lot of shots. If Froch can implement the same sort of fight that he did against Bute, fast raiding attacks, pushing Goves back against the ropes and really letting his hands go, then he could easily blast Groves out before he even gets a chance to get into the fight.

But if Groves can keep it long, use his better footwork, faster hands, and not get sucked into a war, I reckon it could be a much closer fight than some people think. Kessler, who lets be honest is nowhere near the fight he was years ago, got the better of Carl in some periods of that last fight, and the rumours are that Groves gave Kessler a serious going over in some of their sparring sessions leading up to that fight.

Plenty of world class champions have been caught just at the right time, by a younger, fresher, possibly hungrier fighter who's ultra motivated to 'beat the man'.

Can't make a prediction this early, will probably change my mind a hundred times before it happens, but I think it's the best match out there in the division and for British boxing.

Got splinters in my arse, sat on the fence for this one!

• Like 1

You seem a straight enough chap Stig....fancy a little wager just to add a bit of interest ?........Keeping in mind your man is 1/5 favorite of course :D

Name a round stone me you must be confident :icon_eek: ...................No i,ll keep it simple i,ll go with a Groves win......all we need to decide is what odds your going to give me :D

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

Saw them both live on SSN the other day when they announced the fight, great to see two blokes gearing up for a fight giving each other just enough needle, but also showing a great deal of respect to each other while discussing the upcoming bout. Looking forward to this.. :thumbs:

Name a round stone me you must be confident :icon_eek: ...................No i,ll keep it simple i,ll go with a Groves win......all we need to decide is what odds your going to give me :D

If stig doesn't want to take your money gnasher then I will.

£20 says Froch wins. Do you have £20 to say Groves will take the win?

just sort a figure out gnash .. :thumbs: pm if you like ...........

Groves looks the part, granted, he's a good puncher, nice style, quick hands and has got a bit about him too. . But you can't get excited all that much, who has he beaten that could even be compared to Froch? No one. Let's not forget that just over a year ago Carl demolished a one Lucian Bute, who had all the qaulities Groves has and far more too, Carl was actually the under dog in that fight...

What will let Groves down will be his temperament, how will he cope with the magnitude of a fight like this? How will he react when he gets banged hard mid way through a round? (and he will) I think he'll lose his senses and retaliate how he knows best, with heart and leather and consequently he will leave himself at the mercy of a tough, powerful, far more experienced and better man. .

• Like 1
If stig doesn't want to take your money gnasher then I will.

£20 says Froch wins. Do you have £20 to say Groves will take the win?

What was i born yesterday .......Bookies have Froch 1/5 and your offering evens :D

Groves looks the part, granted, he's a good puncher, nice style, quick hands and has got a bit about him too. . But you can't get excited all that much, who has he beaten that could even be compared to Froch? No one. Let's not forget that just over a year ago Carl demolished a one Lucian Bute, who had all the qaulities Groves has and far more too, Carl was actually the under dog in that fight...

What will let Groves down will be his temperament, how will he cope with the magnitude of a fight like this? How will he react when he gets banged hard mid way through a round? (and he will) I think he'll lose his senses and retaliate how he knows best, with heart and leather and consequently he will leave himself at the mercy of a tough, powerful, far more experienced and better man. .

Whats always interesting with these fights between different generations is previous opponents have no real bearing.......years ago they used to call them crossroads fights....2 opponents meeting when going in different directions.......it could be said Froch will never be any better than what he is now and will more than likely be on the way down........yet the likelihood is Groves will only get better than what he is now and will more than likely be an improvement on his last outing...............so the question is does a Froch on the way down still have enough to beat a Groves on the way up........its an interesting fight for sure.....hunger and desire could be a telling factor........i dont think Groves will win but i certainly wouldnt see it as a shock if he does.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1