Air Rifle Discipline?

Guest long-tail

Guest long-tail

just wondered if you air-rifle lads feel that you are as disciplined in the use of your weapon as someone might be with either a shotgun or high powered rifle.

i was taught from a very young age that when loading the barrel was to be pointing at the ground pellet inserted then the stock was lifted to the barrel so continued to be pointing at the ground when loaded,dont matter if its a rifle or shotgun same principle.

all to often i see air-rifle users break the barrel put the pellet in then just snap the barrel back up,bad practice me thinks.

do you think its easy to be complacent with air -rifle safety due to the fact we all had one as kids never done us any harm type attitude or do you believe that your safety is on parr with other types of shall we say more lethal weapons.

whats your opinions cheers :thumbs:

Edited by long-tail

I was at the range dropping my PCP off to be serviced today when an older guy wanted to show me his rifle. In doing so he got it out of the bag and pointed it straight at me. I've no idea what makes people think it's ok to be swinging them around when showing them off or filling them at the range (PCP's). I was always told that you never point at something you don't want to shoot. Loaded or unloaded. How was I to know if he hadn't accidently left it loaded after his last session. I told the staff there and he's been warned a fair few times about it.

I think sometimes it's easy to forget for some people just what damage can be done with an air rifle until some damage is done.

PS Yes, I did shat my self lol

Guest long-tail

A FATHERS ADVICE.

If a sportsman true you’d be
Listen carefully to me. . .

Never, never let your gun
Pointed be at anyone.
That it may unloaded be
Matters not the least to me.

When a hedge or fence you cross
Though of time it cause a loss
From your gun the cartridge take
For the greater safety’s sake.

If twixt you and neighbouring gun
Bird shall fly or beast may run
Let this maxim ere be thine
“Follow not across the line.”

Stops and beaters oft unseen
Lurk behind some leafy screen.
Calm and steady always be
“Never shoot where you can’t see.”

You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think this:
“All the pheasants ever bred
Won’t repay for one man dead.”

Keep your place and silent be;
Game can hear, and game can see;
Don’t be greedy, better spared
Is a pheasant, than one shared.

• Like 2

all to often i see air-rifle users break the barrel put the pellet in then just snap the barrel back up,bad practice me thinks.

I don't know how else the pellets going to come out of the rifle and hit the target................... :whistling:

And I've yet to find a PCP that lets me brake its barrel ! :haha:

Do you mean they should be pointing the rifle at a safe location with the safety on until they are ready to fire at a target ?

Guest long-tail

Why do you consider that as bad practice?

because iv seen lads do it all to often,a loaded weapon pointing all over the place without any concern for the safety of others,a safety catch no matter the weapon should never be relied upon, from what iv witnessed in nearly 40 years there is a blatant disregard of safety to others when some lads use air-rifles.

Guest long-tail

I don't know how else the pellets going to come out of the rifle and hit the target................... :whistling:

Do you mean they should be pointing the rifle at a safe location with the safety on until they are ready to fire at a target ?

reckon so

because iv seen lads do it all to often,a loaded weapon pointing all over the place without any concern for the safety of others,a safety catch no matter the weapon should never be relied upon, from what iv witnessed in nearly 40 years there is a blatant disregard of safety to others when some lads use air-rifles.

Yes i agree if the barrel is pointing in an unsafe direction that is bad practice, a rifle should always be pointed in a safe direction :thumbs:

I have no issues with someone snapping up a springer as long as the barrel is in a safe direction, I also consider at an upward angle pointing down range to be a safe direction as no one should be infront of you when firing, if they are in front you shouldnt be cocking the and loading the weapon anyway :thumbs:

• Like 2
Guest long-tail

I was at the range dropping my PCP off to be serviced today when an older guy wanted to show me his rifle. In doing so he got it out of the bag and pointed it straight at me. I've no idea what makes people think it's ok to be swinging them around when showing them off or filling them at the range (PCP's). I was always told that you never point at something you don't want to shoot. Loaded or unloaded. How was I to know if he hadn't accidently left it loaded after his last session. I told the staff there and he's been warned a fair few times about it.

I think sometimes it's easy to forget for some people just what damage can be done with an air rifle until some damage is done.

PS Yes, I did shat my self lol

perfect example of what i see on a regular basis :thumbs:

Guest long-tail

Yes i agree if the barrel is pointing in an unsafe direction that is bad practice, a rifle should always be pointed in a safe direction :thumbs:

I have no issues with someone snapping up a springer as long as the barrel is in a safe direction, I also consider at an upward angle pointing down range to be a safe direction as no one should be infront of you when firing, if they are in front you shouldnt be cocking the and loading the weapon anyway :thumbs:

good points, il be honest though i certainly see it more often in the field which is what im getting at rather than on the range but the principles should be the same cheers

I have a .22 slug in my face from a dim-witted cousin shooting in his back garden; who thought his air rifle was unloaded. Till he saw a stream of blood fly out of my cheekbone :icon_eek: So yes, it is all too easy to forget that a rifle -ANY rifle, is loaded. And a moment of lax-memory and thought can happen to anyone.

I never do. :angel:

After nearly 50 years of having a pellet lodged in my mush, less than an inch from my left eye, to remind me everyday; I'll never forget! :whistling:

Pianoman.

Edit to add.

During my military service years, I saw many incidents of utter stupidity with rifles and sidearms, even from senior officers who should set an example. And a couple of tragic accidents with weapons in barracks on active service.

Never ever let safety be taken as an automatic, reactive measure we all adhere to, because, gentlemen, we don't. But we are good sensible lads in the main here. :yes:

Edited by pianoman

BSA Spitfre!

A break barreled pcp, honest!

Guest long-tail

I have a .22 slug in my face from a dim-witted cousin shooting in his back garden; who thought his air rifle was unloaded. Till he saw a stream of blood fly out of my cheekbone :icon_eek: So yes, it is all too easy to forget that a rifle -ANY rifle, is loaded. And a moment of lax-memory and thought can happen to anyone.

I never do. :angel:

After nearly 50 years of having a pellet lodged in my mush, less than an inch from my left eye, to remind me everyday; I'll never forget! :whistling:

Pianoman.

Edit to add.

During my military service years, I saw many incidents of utter stupidity with rifles and sidearms, even from senior officers who should set an example. And a couple of tragic accidents with weapons in barracks on active service.

Never ever let safety be taken as an automatic, reactive measure we all adhere to, because, gentlemen, we don't. But we are good sensible lads in the main here. :yes:

witnessed a couple of NDs myself when i was in the army,although no one was injured it was certainly to close for comfort,a lad with a gpmg dismounting from a truck, the other was an officer in the ops room with an sa80 cheers

I often see people at the ranges cock, load, and if a springer close the barrel, then INSTANTLY click the safety off before settling into a shooting position. I was always taught (by my elders and by my firearms instructors) that the safety should only be set to 'fire' at the last moment once the target is acquired AND the shooter is ready to take the shot. I also see folks waving barrels about when bagging/ unbagging their guns or filling at the ranges. Makes me cringe. Again, I was always taught to keep the barrel pointing at the ground, raising it only to bring it to the firing position.

Jim

• Like 1

No one has mentioned aswell that your finger should be nowhere near the trigger until you intend to pull it.

Whether I am using my shotgun or air rifle my finger is always straight down the stock outside the trigger guard

• Like 2