Kennels.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are the kennels I have nearly finished, keychannel drainage into the mains, GRP fiberglass roof, two coats of industrial grade floor paint. When I do the internal boxes I will do a framework of

I'd put a solid roof on it to keep the run dry in the winter because if there out in a wet run it all gets trapsed back in with wet feet and gets all the bedding wet

Before anything make sure your drainage is 100%. The right drainage done right makes all the diffrence     And just build from there. Honestly build EVERYTHING with cleaning in mind make sure its t

Posted Images

Kingspan and cellotex is mega expensive. I would stuff loft roll in between the studs and line it with a dpm (damp proof membrane).

Also if you build it out of studwouk, have 3 courses of bricks up first to keep the timber off the ground...

And if you ply the sleeping boxes use wbp ply not the softwood shuttering ply...

Build it right, build it once. :thumbs:

Kingspan and cellotex is mega expensive. I would stuff loft roll in between the studs and line it with a dpm (damp proof membrane).

Also if you build it out of studwouk, have 3 courses of bricks up first to keep the timber off the ground...

And if you ply the sleeping boxes use wbp ply not the softwood shuttering ply...

Yes agree but is easy to cut and work with I would not be keen on loft insulation in my dogs kennels no matter how well sealed plus celotex is fair better heat insulation

ATB Cookie

Work on finding the materials like the roof sheeting section and mesh sections then building the concrete base to the materials .

Have seen alot of kennels built around the concrete base and folk having to cut sheeting be it roof or mesh panels when if they had got the measurements right it would have been a straight build .

Sounds daft but easliy done you want it to be like a IKEA flat pack

ATB Cookie

null_zps4fa3a7d7.jpg

I'm in the process of making mine it's a 20by6 run its a double 10by6 each but there for terriers and then I've got a 20 by 9 single run for my lurches and terrier il post pictures when finished its got drainage and will have a sheeted roof when finished

• Like 1

post-26754-0-58374000-1371417575.jpgpost-26754-0-03398200-1371417593.jpg

These are the kennels I have nearly finished, keychannel drainage into the mains, GRP fiberglass roof, two coats of industrial grade floor paint. When I do the internal boxes I will do a framework of 2"x2" and put 50mm insulation in between the ply and a vapour barrier(this stops the mould).

• Like 9

Kingspan is expensive for a reason,its f***ing good stuff....the man isn't going to need a lot for sleeping boxes and I recommend the finest marine ply,build it right build it once :toast:

• Like 2

Is 6ft deep by 1m wide too small? (sorry about the mixed measures :laugh: )

OK for a terrier, though I wouldn't want even a terrier to spend 23/7 in that size unless it was out and working every day and tiring itself out. Dogs need room to move about as much as possible, even if it is only for a few minutes at a time. I have 1 x 2 metre runs in front of my terrier boxes, but there is a 3 x 3 metre yard in front of them to which they have access during the day; only shut in their individual runs at night or if I'm out. Hasten to say, these dogs are never left alone together out loose.

I wouldn't want to shut any size lurcher in such small runs: seen dogs in tiny runs like that and they were always much more hyper when out: OK if you can let them out several times during the day for a run up and down a garden I guess. Many will disagree with me but IMO the more space you can give a dog the better unless you are out for hours with it each day.

i have 2 runs from one kennel 1 is roofed and he other isn't so they have a choice :laugh: the shed is insulated, ply lined and painted so it can be washed and disinfected there was rubber matting on the floor but they kept trashing it, the run doors are always left open when im at home. one run is 10 x 6 and the other is 16 x 6

post-896-0-48048200-1371456018.jpg

Drainage is important when building dog runs for ease of cleaning. There are arguments for having roof or no roof on the runs, I personally like no roof on. 1 meter by 6 ft sounds quite small, mine are near enough 6 x 12 ft.