What Is The Best Food For My Goldie

A good quality british finch mix and extra's like a egg food mix with a spinkle of niger seed in it and some greens like peas,brocali,chickweed, would or should be a basic diet for a goldie Tom,will add up to a few pence a day and thats cheap for what they give you back :thumbs:

• Like 2

I'm doing ok with the same stuff Fireman ... :thumbs: ..

Tom if you can source Countrywide British Finch mix you wont go far wrong..aswell as the odd millet spray and if you can find some Dandilion head's they go bonker's for them aswell as Teasel and just about any flowering thistle once they have seeded.. :thumbs:

• Like 2

A good quality british finch mix and extra's like a egg food mix with a spinkle of niger seed in it and some greens like peas,brocali,chickweed, would or should be a basic diet for a goldie Tom,will add up to a few pence a day and thats cheap for what they give you back :thumbs:

fireman what would you say is the best diet to feed during the moult to a goldie ? :thumbs:

As much wild food as you can find Brookie and of as many sorts you can find as well,it's what i do every year and so far i've never lost a bird during the moult yet.Won't say it's the reason i haven't lost one through going light but i'll be doing the same this year mate,I do the same for all my birds from redpolls to bullies and not only do they love the wild food i'm convinced it's the reason i seem to go ok through the moult with my birds.Maybe if we asked Kittle nicely he will put up a nice list with pics of some of the wild food worth collecting :thumbs: .

• Like 1

As much wild food as you can find Brookie and of as many sorts you can find as well,it's what i do every year and so far i've never lost a bird during the moult yet.Won't say it's the reason i haven't lost one through going light but i'll be doing the same this year mate,I do the same for all my birds from redpolls to bullies and not only do they love the wild food i'm convinced it's the reason i seem to go ok through the moult with my birds.Maybe if we asked Kittle nicely he will put up a nice list with pics of some of the wild food worth collecting :thumbs: .

good post that fireman . an old feller i knew from years ago .he would collect as much wild seed as he could and use to soak it and use that water to give to his birds plus like you say feed it to them as well . whats your opinion on plain tap water as opposed to natural spring water . one or two old uns i know wont give tap water .because of the fluoride ,

There is truth in what there saying and although i do use tap water at the moment i am putting in water butts to catch the rain water,one thing i do is when i use the tap water i'll let it stand for a day or so in the can as this can help remove some of the additives put in the water and i was told this by a fella who grew a bit :whistling: and it makes a difference in his chosen subject :thumbs: .Even makes a difference in hard water areas on the calcium intake and if you do live in a hard water area then putting to much added calcium in their diets can cause problems like the chicks not being able to break out the shells,water is the basis of all life and is as important as the quality of feed.Will add moulting birds do need access to bird baths to help with the new feather and for bird hygine reasons as well :victory: .

so are ye asking :D lol

oh I suppose so seeing as I've been stuck in the hoose choked with the cauld :cray:

• Like 1