Ffp Scopes. Are They Worth It?

I'm looking for a new scope for general use to go on a HW95 custom. I keep been drawn to FFP scopes as in theory they make more sense to me to get the most out of a mil dot ret.

The thing that crosses my mind is that the ret maybe to small to be of use at lower zoom powers. So I am looking for feedback as to wether they are all that.

Just to add that looking at the 4-16 x 40ish type jobbie

I have a 5.5 - 25 x 50 falcon menace i think its a brilliant bit of kit!

I personally don't want any more SFP scopes for me first focal plane is far superior

The only issue i have is it has target turrets that dont lock, but that is minor

Ive used it on my rimfire, pcp and its now on my 97k for HFT :thumbs:

I will be looking to kit all my rifles out with FFP scopes when money allows

Edited by AR177

the reticle is ultra fine so at low mag the dots are quite small, I tend to shoot on 8 or above (personal preference) but still perfectly usable on 5.5

the bonus is no matter what mag the mil dot increments remain the same

If your in doubt I suggest you have a peek through one before you buy to make sure it is what you want :thumbs:

Edited by AR177

I use a light stream 4.5-15x44ffp on my 80 hybrid and its great, although like the menace the reticle is very fine at 4.5. Brilliant for squirrels though as its crystal clear so excellent at low light. True mil dot at all magnification, no having to think about aim points at different mags, theres not much to dislike but they are well expensive.

If hawkes sr12 reticle was available on one it'd be the perfect air rifle scope I reckon.

• Like 2

I have a 5.5 - 25 x 50 falcon menace i think its a brilliant bit of kit!

I personally don't want any more SFP scopes for me first focal plane is far superior

The only issue i have is it has target turrets that dont lock, but that is minor

Ive used it on my rimfire, pcp and its now on my 97k for HFT :thumbs:

I will be looking to kit all my rifles out with FFP scopes when money allows

I had the same falcon on my r10 and yes they are brill but found it abit on the heavy side.

Now have a viper connect sat on it :thumbs:

CHEERS

GARRICK

I use a light stream 4.5-15x44ffp on my 80 hybrid and its great, although like the menace the reticle is very fine at 4.5. Brilliant for squirrels though as its crystal clear so excellent at low light. True mil dot at all magnification, no having to think about aim points at different mags, theres not much to dislike but they are well expensive.

If hawkes sr12 reticle was available on one it'd be the perfect air rifle scope I reckon.

What he says. Wouldn't give sfp a second glance now.

what FFP scopes are out there im thinking about going big too

The smaller Lightstream is very good (4.5-14x44. The bigger one's SFP, I think.) but pricey unless you can find a good one secondhand, which is not that easy. And before you think it, I'm keeping mine!

for a minute thee i thought you meant scopes with range finding side wheels.

i've 'heard' the odd scope does etc

nar then nar then, the point or regauding the side issue of 'is it worth it' are they effective...sorry dood, but you'r going to have to try one if its tickling your intrest.

not to see if theyre good for this or that hypertheticaly, but more for your own peace of mind (so theres no wandering) but most importantly to exsplore the realms of shooting, to pritty much broaden your horizons and fed your mind and skill.

couple issues going from small mag to the big bot 50 mag's

first focal and second focal and the issue of a fixed ret verses being able to tweek to suit.

next is what you going to use it for? thats easy, you want know what 'you' would use it for untill you try one.

larger mags less in veiw, it could likened to using a 4x20 verses a 4x40 for veiw...same issue on all that is its nicer more in veiw but more inclose and non cluttered zoomed up, the only diference really depends on wether you have to wigg about finding stuff in the tube there or if you can just put the cross hair on...

after that the 'wobble' issue looking through on higher scopes actualy has a basic fundamental basis...just because you cant see a wobble on low mag doesnt meen it isnt there..hi mags if you just forget yourself for a moment you'll find you can handle up 20 mag (on average) and you'll just adjust and stop wobbling about..when you do on lower mags you'll shoot better better you wobble less.

reguarding rets...i cant really comment, i'm stale with using a single set up with a single scope, i know it it suits me lol..its a 2.5-10 mag i should on 9 mag..

in general though thngs like the nato ret 10-50x60 scopes, near too on ratting theyre perfic, even though its 10 mag, further out theres not enough ret points to use..

the main difference is your used to hold over hold under you'll know 'yu just get used to what you got' at a push so the image sharpnes/low light capability probably is more inportant..but, if you really dont like the ret dunt matter how good it is...you'll really hate it later lol.

or dialing in......its a different kette of fish but certainly does have its advantages, if you have the time to play..followed by the hi mag rangefinder scopes where you use the side wheel on hi mag and shoot after dialing in and zooming down.

it has to be tried and then played with before you'll know for yourself.

every one is different.

for a minute thee i thought you meant scopes with range finding side wheels.

i've 'heard' the odd scope does etc

nar then nar then, the point or regauding the side issue of 'is it worth it' are they effective...sorry dood, but you'r going to have to try one if its tickling your intrest.

not to see if theyre good for this or that hypertheticaly, but more for your own peace of mind (so theres no wandering) but most importantly to exsplore the realms of shooting, to pritty much broaden your horizons and fed your mind and skill.

couple issues going from small mag to the big bot 50 mag's

first focal and second focal and the issue of a fixed ret verses being able to tweek to suit.

next is what you going to use it for? thats easy, you want know what 'you' would use it for untill you try one.

larger mags less in veiw, it could likened to using a 4x20 verses a 4x40 for veiw...same issue on all that is its nicer more in veiw but more inclose and non cluttered zoomed up, the only diference really depends on wether you have to wigg about finding stuff in the tube there or if you can just put the cross hair on...

after that the 'wobble' issue looking through on higher scopes actualy has a basic fundamental basis...just because you cant see a wobble on low mag doesnt meen it isnt there..hi mags if you just forget yourself for a moment you'll find you can handle up 20 mag (on average) and you'll just adjust and stop wobbling about..when you do on lower mags you'll shoot better better you wobble less.

reguarding rets...i cant really comment, i'm stale with using a single set up with a single scope, i know it it suits me lol..its a 2.5-10 mag i should on 9 mag..

in general though thngs like the nato ret 10-50x60 scopes, near too on ratting theyre perfic, even though its 10 mag, further out theres not enough ret points to use..

the main difference is your used to hold over hold under you'll know 'yu just get used to what you got' at a push so the image sharpnes/low light capability probably is more inportant..but, if you really dont like the ret dunt matter how good it is...you'll really hate it later lol.

or dialing in......its a different kette of fish but certainly does have its advantages, if you have the time to play..followed by the hi mag rangefinder scopes where you use the side wheel on hi mag and shoot after dialing in and zooming down.

it has to be tried and then played with before you'll know for yourself.

every one is different.

Cheers bud. Nice straight answer :thumbs: