Mora Carbon Knife

Just bought another of these since losing my last one. Decided to go for a colour that would stand out in the grass being as it was that's where I lost my last one which was green.

20130614_164109_zps5b8ea835.jpg

£15.99 from a local shop in Kirkby Londsdale. This one has a more heavy duty blade with a thicker spine. Loved my last one but need to be careful it doesn't rust.

Can anyone reccomend a tool for keeping the blade nice and sharp, I suppose a good old oil stone would be as good as anything?

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1

I have a few Moras alongside other knives. Best low cost sharpener for a Mora I have found is a Fallkniven DC4 :

http://www.heinnie.com/Sharpeners/Fallkniven-Sharpeners/DC3DC4-Whetstones/p-370-212-418/

Followed by a strop with a small amount of Autosol polishing compound from Halfords:

http://www.heinnie.com/Sharpeners/Razor-Strop/p-370-8950/

Quick touch up now and again keeps it sharp enough to shave with. Great little knives.

I also put an elastic band around the top to stop the knife sliding out of the sheath by accident and put a few around the sheath just in case, never can have too many laggy bands!

Tim

hmmm ty for them links may well look into them

i generaly end up taking to a file to re edge anything i buy, especialy if its for bait fish, theres a sushi sharp angle that suddenly produces fish when the other knifecuts wont..tried and tested a couple times.

Edited by ghillies

Bladetec is not right for a Mora.

Mora knives have a Scandi grind edge, so you ideally need a flatstone.

A bladetec will give it a 20 or 30 degree bevel on the edge which will change the way the knife performs and how long the edge will last. These devices are good, but not suitable for every knife.

Google Scandi grind and knife edges and you'll learn a lot about the options. I love my Mora - great knife and when sharp good for just about everything.

As above better to use a flat stone than one of those Bladetec type sharpeners. I use 2 flat DMT diamond files fine/ extra fine (being a Joiner already had them handy ) then I use a flat piece of wood with leather glued to it for stropping the blade after sharpening using Autosol which def helps getting a really good edge. I've got a few knives but my favourite is a Mora bushcraft black,which can be sharpened very quickly.

As above better to use a flat stone than one of those Bladetec type sharpeners. I use 2 flat DMT diamond files fine/ extra fine (being a Joiner already had them handy ) then I use a flat piece of wood with leather glued to it for stropping the blade after sharpening using Autosol which def helps getting a really good edge. I've got a few knives but my favourite is a Mora bushcraft black,which can be sharpened very quickly.

As above better to use a flat stone than one of those Bladetec type sharpeners. I use 2 flat DMT diamond files fine/ extra fine (being a Joiner already had them handy ) then I use a flat piece of wood with leather glued to it for stropping the blade after sharpening using Autosol which def helps getting a really good edge. I've got a few knives but my favourite is a Mora bushcraft black,which can be sharpened very qu

You can all so use toothpaste

http://backyardbushman.com/?page_id=13

as far as i know

full convex for a full axe

full flat..nice fishbiat/ sushi edge

hi flat curring 'flesh'/meat..fish

hollow..is erm over did that lol..(dont know)

scandi..thats as far as i can be arsed to get this sharp lol..flesh/meat fish.

the finer the edge, e.g. the harder to keep it perfick and the easier it loses an edge, 'full flat types to scandi.

an axe chipes out here and there with too fine an edge, but its all dependant on how hard you use it, what its made off and how long you want it for. (the more times its sharpened the more metal gets removed faster..)

i find a 'quick ' sharpening regularly you can get a nice 'axe edge' (conves) elongateted like a longer scandi that seemsto just last ages untill the shape changes then its goes chronic and its a be atch to get sharp again.(hense my knifes of late are el cheepos so i just reach for the file..5 mins i have a sushi cutter lol)

must admit though it nice useing a wet stone and honing a good edge..

any other veiws on this guys n gall's?

edit in.......you need to know whaat the edge is btw, if its a really cheap 'insert' edge you can file the edge material off very quick with the full edge, then your left with a shitty soft metal knife that may be good or usualy it just goes blunt on a natts wing..

Edited by ghillies