Lurchers catching Pheasants and Feather?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are we talking poults or adults :whistling: my bitch has had a few obviosly they were all in season and adults :kiss: she's been creal close to a few more adults aswell. tends to just jump around in the long grass when she picks up a scent and when she sees a bit of meovement or finds were they are she races over and jumps up snatching them. a few have been just about to take off aswell or a few feet off the ground. wish she was as good at retreiving as she is hunting up :D there seems to be a few around now aswell compared to last year. just been out now and saw about half dozen plus of poults with about half adult plumage. not sure if someones been putting them down or what. nice to have a dog that does it all i think :notworthy:

STP80495Large.jpg

Edited by maty j

MY BEDDY WHIPPET CAUGHT A SEAGULL ON THE BEACH WHILE I WAS JUST OUT FOR A WALK, SHES ALWAYS ON THE LOOK OUT FOR ANYTHING THAT MOVES...TOOK IT OUT THE AIR AS IT WAS FLYING OFF...AND THIS WAS A BEACH WITH QUITE A FEW OTHER PEOPLE ON THERE...SOME OF THE LOOKS I GOT WHEN SHE RETRIEVED IT LIVE TO HAND THEN I HAD TO TAKE IT FROM HER WITH OUT GETTING BIT BY THE THING...IT WAS RELEASED UNHARMED...DONT THINK THERE IS ANYTHING SHE WOULD NT TRY FOR.... post-3686-1187198378_thumb.jpg

MY BEDDY WHIPPET CAUGHT A SEAGULL ON THE BEACH WHILE I WAS JUST OUT FOR A WALK, SHES ALWAYS ON THE LOOK OUT FOR ANYTHING THAT MOVES...TOOK IT OUT THE AIR AS IT WAS FLYING OFF...AND THIS WAS A BEACH WITH QUITE A FEW OTHER PEOPLE ON THERE...SOME OF THE LOOKS I GOT WHEN SHE RETRIEVED IT LIVE TO HAND THEN I HAD TO TAKE IT FROM HER WITH OUT GETTING BIT BY THE THING...IT WAS RELEASED UNHARMED...DONT THINK THERE IS ANYTHING SHE WOULD NT TRY FOR.... post-3686-1187198378_thumb.jpg

nice looking dog mike. my sort of dog :yes:

Both my kelpies point, and sometimes flush, pheasant but, like Molly, they were broken to them as the farm where I have permission is next to a large estate. They've both caught wood pigeons in cover though :thumbs:

Ive had pheasants, partridges and red grouse with some of mine, and also a skylark and wor lasses budgerigar

I got to go coursing years ago with Ted Walsh and a landowner beside the Scottish border. The landowner was into game banties, one of my dogs jumped out the car and first thing it did was kill a banty cock :whistling:

All mine have taken feather and work with gun and catty and partridge and woodcock on the lamp the young pup ive just got took a squab feeding on the lawn so hes started already at thirteen weeks.

Im partial to birds so i wouldnt have it any other way.

My Kelpie x has had a few pheasants, but far less keen on them than she was. The reason for that is that I take her beating quite often so she has got used to flushing them and moving onto the next one. Doxhope, my bitch has also caught a skylark... though one which I'm sure had been clobbered by a sparrowhawk first.

i had a colie x when i was thirteen went out lamping on some grass land one night thought it was a rabbit sat in a tuft of grass but when she bought it back it was a woodcock i had three woodcock with her and loads of phesants good fun brings back good memories :D

Edited by wag

Typical: after saying that yesterday about wood pigeon, I go out this morning and nearly come back with a green woodpecker! It was searching for ants next to the undergrowth around the base of an oak tree and the bitch stalked it. I thought its "laughing" as it made off would put her off but as they fly quite low she kept going after it occasionaly jumping up at it. I had a beardie cross once who tried it on with a heron and a canada goose :doh: