50 Or 100% Baggage?

DanAdams

Hi all, I've started making a long net and was just wondering weather people prefer to do 50 or 100% baggage. I was wanting as long of a net as possible with the twine I have so was going to go for 50% but is 50 anywhere as near as good as 100% at catching and holding? Is there any noticeable difference in catching rabbits between 50 and 100. Thanks Dan

Edited by DanAdams

I use a 100% because the experienced chaps recommend it. I wouldn't fancy using 50% because even with a 100 if you don't lay the net right you can get tight spots so I wouldn't fancy 50

Not been at it long but that is just my take on it so far

• Like 4

I use a 100% because the experienced chaps recommend it. I wouldn't fancy using 50% because even with a 100 if you don't lay the net right you can get tight spots so I wouldn't fancy 50

Not been at it long but that is just my take on it so far

Cheers

Hi Dan, personally I wouldn't go down to 50% for a longnet in my opinion it's not worth it.

But a long time ago I made a single strand net from 20/9 spun poly mainly to use on golf courses and I got to 80% and decided as I set mine low combined with the small diameter of the twine and the not huge numbers I would be catching I gave it a few trials.

I was quite surprised with how well it performed, but I would really recommend going for the 100% mark. But it's your choice and good luck with whatever you decided to do. Mr Goodcat.

Hi Dan, personally I wouldn't go down to 50% for a longnet in my opinion it's not worth it.

But a long time ago I made a single strand net from 20/9 spun poly mainly to use on golf courses and I got to 80% and decided as I set mine low combined with the small diameter of the twine and the not huge numbers I would be catching I gave it a few trials.

I was quite surprised with how well it performed, but I would really recommend going for the 100% mark. But it's your choice and good luck with whatever you decided to do. Mr Goodcat.

Thanks I think I've decided to go with 100%, thought that I would rather have a bit shorter net but a net that is going to catch well rather than a really long net that doesn't catch good numbers. Cheers Dan

Thanks I think I've decided to go with 100%, thought that I would rather have a bit shorter net but a net that is going to catch well rather than a really long net that doesn't catch good numbers. Cheers Dan

Good decision mate!Mr Goodcat.

Has anyone ever used nets with more than 100% bagging ie say 150% ? If so, is there an advantage or what or the pros and cons, if any?

Thanks

I would think too much of a good thing I would need a week to get a rabbit out plus picking up extra rubbish maybe but I have not used one so just guessing

Has anyone ever used nets with more than 100% bagging ie say 150% ? If so, is there an advantage or what or the pros and cons, if any?

Thanks

I made one rigged by a third, that is the net was one third of the sretched length of the netting, a 50 yarder as an experement so I suppose it was 150%. To be honest I used it once and it caught every rabbit that hit it, but there again so did the nets set by halves that day. They are good, without a shadow of a doubt. But are they worth the extra hassle of cleaning and (which worried me the most) the extra weight?

I do have some 5 yrd stop nets that are rigged that way and even with that amount of slack I have still lost the odd rabbit from them, usually going through the meshes.

TC

Edited by tiercel

i have read somewhere that if theres too much bagging it would appear like a wall to the rabbits and thats why some dont use over 100% bagging also black nets appear like a wall and are visable to the rabbit.... i would not be worried about this myself as rabbits run in to the burgandy net in the daytime, although ideally with a dog chassing its arse..

as for clearing the net of rubbish its not a problem at all when pare netting as one man hanks and the other cleans as hes pulling the peg's.. working on your own might be a bit of work

Thanks

A long time ago I tried the same idea out on a twenty-five yard quickset net with 150% and another one with 200% (I think they were both 4z) and the idea stayed as an experiment.

I had the same result as Tiercel did, it performed well but there was so much netting there it did collect everything from the floor and the weight was very noticeable even in a basket in comparison with the normally rigged net's of the same size.

The net with 150% was the better one as the 200% net was far to extreme for me, but worth trying all the same.

But have a go at it if you fancy it, you may get on with it really well. Mr Goodcat.

• Like 1
But have a go at it if you fancy it, you may get on with it really well. Mr Goodcat.

That seems to be the problem with the tinternet, advice is freely available, but, the advice given is only applicable to the giver. Every person is different what some people like others hate. That is not to say that both their ways are right or wrong. The only way you will find out what suits you is trying something new. As Mr Goodcats states try it, you might like it, and the weight issue is no problem to yourself.

The best advice I could give anyone regarding long netting is, if you have an idea, run with it. I have over the years tried many an idea that has not worked as I wished. But, those ideas have been utilised in other aspects of netting. In all aspects of life if you don't try you will never learn. Failure and the will to succeed are powerful allies.

TC

That seems to be the problem with the tinternet, advice is freely available, but, the advice given is only applicable to the giver. Every person is different what some people like others hate. That is not to say that both their ways are right or wrong. The only way you will find out what suits you is trying something new. As Mr Goodcats states try it, you might like it, and the weight issue is no problem to yourself.

The best advice I could give anyone regarding long netting is, if you have an idea, run with it. I have over the years tried many an idea that has not worked as I wished. But, those ideas have been utilised in other aspects of netting. In all aspects of life if you don't try you will never learn. Failure and the will to succeed are powerful allies.

TC

I couldn't agree more with the above. Just remember if it doesn't work for you at the end of the day it's only netting and you can always find another use for the piece you might remove. Mr Goodcat