New Season In France

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

come through here

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Ill re write what I edited, no bias intended but a genuine querie.... is this animal to be dispatched?

If so why not just step in and put a swift shot to his cranium with a pistol and humanely dispatch him, or if he is to be taken live to hand to be re located or inspected for disease, why just not let him out another foot before tailing and scruffing same as would be done with a fox?

Is it just tradition to use tongs, or are they part of the French code of conduct? :thumbs:

Edited by stop.end

come through here

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Ill re write what I edited, no bias intended but a genuine querie.... is this animal to be dispatched?

If so why not just step in and put a swift shot to his cranium with a pistol and humanely dispatch him, or if he is to be taken live to hand to be re located or inspected for disease, why just not let him out another foot before tailing and scruffing same as would be done with a fox?

Is it just tradition to use tongs, or are they part of the French code of conduct? :thumbs:

A badger must be took outside of the den before dispatched. We never kill an animal inside the tunnel (behind the first one may be another one hidden).
So if you're very skilful, you can catch badger by tail or back paws. Be careful, a lot of people had been wounded with badgers. Never take the neck for a long time, badger could give you a scratch in few seconds.
But tongs are the best way to catch an animal without fight, quietly. When badger is in the tongs, he don't move. These are special tongs. It's a part of the french code of conduct.
In fact, when we catch a badger by tail, we use tongs just after to be safe and calm.
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Succession

attachicon.gif1.jpg

lovely healthy looking litter Blaise credit to you,at what stage does your season finish as ye seem to start very early.

Badger season begin the middle of May until the middle of january. In fact, Very few are hunting bagder during the winter.

• Like 1