New Season In France

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

I think that every thing that gets dug over there is killed, so maybe they are green because they haven't seen a terrier before, but least they can still dig without looking over there shoulders, they only use sounders over there because they don't use locators all done by ear.if we tipped in our type of digging dogs they wouldn't get a mark for hours

Just my opinion

Blaise, what's the average amount of hunts a terrier would have during a season?

what an interesting question !
I'll try an answer but for the time, this morning, I'm going to hunt.

Last season, we used 11 different dogs in 38 days and 102 different hunts.

So average was 9.3 hunts per dog per badger season.

• Like 3

So with 11 terriers worked the previous season obviously some being young dogs only learning their trade and only got, say a handful of hunts over them. Then common sense would mean that would be lowering the average for the more experienced terriers. Which leads to my next question. What was the most digs yous had over a terrier last season, what type of terrier was it and how many badgers and foxes where accounted for over the 102 hunts? Sorry for all the questions, I'm genuinely interested.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

So with 11 terriers worked the previous season obviously some being young dogs only learning their trade and only got, say a handful of hunts over them. Then common sense would mean that would be lowering the average for the more experienced terriers. Which leads to my next question. What was the most digs yous had over a terrier last season, what type of terrier was it and how many badgers and foxes where accounted for over the 102 hunts? Sorry for all the questions, I'm genuinely interested.

A third of very experienced, you have to be cautious because they are older.
A third of middle-aged, they can do the great part of the job but don't forget the future.
A third of young, they are the future.
Last season, the most digs we had was over Comète. A Jack Russell bitch, 14 digs and 18 badgers. Unfortunately, this bitch is dead before the end of the season (killed by car). Most of our job is done with patterdales.
According to me, a hunt is the work of one dog. 69 badgers for 102 hunts. We never hunt fox.
  • Like 3

Thanks for that Blaise, I'm sorry to hear about Comete it seems like she was a useful bitch for the hunt, very unfortunate. I've lost you slightly on your last sentence, sorry for my ignorance in advance. 102 hunts with a result of 69 badgers could you please explain further as I was expecting the tally to be more than the amount of hunts and not less. Also do yous not stumble across foxes in earths from time to time when checking them for badgers ?

• Like 1