Lurchers As Guard Dogs?

Sadly I've recently been burgled and so I'm looking at ways to increase the security of my house. I've been considering a guard dog, something to let me know if anyone's about and be big enough to make someone think twice about walking down the drive!

So... I was wondering if anyone has experience of using/training lurchers as guard dogs? I'm there thinking a big lurcher could be dual purpose whilst the 22inch dogs I've got now aren't going to scare anyone!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pick from google, think this would do what you wanted and more Malinois Greyhound

GEESE ARE THE WAY FORWARD THE EVIL b*****ds THEY ATTACK YOUR BOLLICKS AND MAKE ONE HELL OF A RACKET WHEN YOU ON THERE PATCH EVEN WORSE WHEN YOU TRY THROTTLING THEM OR COULD GET A CUPLE LAMA OR ALPACA

Noisy terrier, silenced .410 and some pigs?

If it was me i would get a german shepard pal i have been making collections from peoples houses for years and there is nothing and i mean nothing more of putting than a shepard to me as they are fast smart loyal and vocal so if it was me i would get a shepard,i have terriers and a gravel drive i dont even think spider man could creep up on us lol

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the burglary.

My current 2 would bark, but I doubt it would go further than that - they love people, and I am sure if a thief would quickly have them on side ! My old lurcher however, looked the part ( very tall, big build) and sounded great, and wouldn't let anyone near the place unless I was there. No training, just his natural guarding.

mali x greyhound seen some pus advertised last year sometime and 1 of the parents was working the sleeve, dont think there would be much that would get past it :hmm:

ive got s 23inch whip x and f**k he hates people entering ma yard . had a fella walk into ma house few yrs bk hell.he was gunna do the fella if i hadnt a been.there lol picked up ma bat and told him to get the fook out.

Edited by bracken boy

Get yourself a big farm collie, my bitch wont let anyone in the gate... No one enters without us telling her to let them in, i would say if you got yourself a reverse 3/4 bred collie grey it would keep the average burgler out

To those who say a gsd would deter theives i know of a case few years back where the theif beat a gsd to death because it tried to defend its home... There are some psychos out there

• Like 1

I've always loved having a good guard dog around the place and have got a couple of dobermanns at my dads. I've often considered getting a dobe, rotty or gsd to roam the garden and stop my dogs getting nicked but how the law is these days if your dog seriously maims someone then it's getting put down and you are getting sued.

Equally if its in the back garden then it's not protecting your house and vice versa.

Get a yappy little Jack Russell and a nice baseball bat :)