Whippet X Greyhound

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My bitch is basically a grew with an 1/8th beddy and an 1/8th bull stands at 22tts, she lacks a little pace compared to my old grew but makes up for it in being a bit steadier and a bit tougher than t

Here's a whipp grey owned by a mate,, was a very useful dog ferreting and lamping stood 21 inch,,, here we are doing some pest control on a golf course.     Here she is with my old coursing dog,,

That's one of mine - mainly Whip/Grey, with a little collie in the background. He is sharp, fast, turns on a sixpence, and is very focussed. Feet are not bad - definite hare foot shape, but I think t

Here's a whipp grey owned by a mate,, was a very useful dog ferreting and lamping stood 21 inch,,, here we are doing some pest control on a golf course.

ferreting111207008.jpg

Here she is with my old coursing dog,, after knocking a few bunnys over one night

pics33004.jpg

My kelpie grey x whipp grey,,, look how short that land is ,,, very fast running ground

lamping140108orston005.jpg

lamping140108orston009.jpg

pics127010.jpg

PICS26003.jpg

• Like 6

my brother in law had a first cross about 25 years ago was along time ago and i can remember the dog knocking over afew bunnies and hares mainly on the lamp though .but like has been said thin coat and would be shivering like f**k out ferreting on a frosty morning he did think of putting him across a saluki grey but nothing came of it in the end which was a shame really ..

She weren't bad

Here she is with another mates bitch ,, rew of this site,, his bitch was whipp grey,, with 1/16 collie and 1/16 deerhound

DSCF0783.jpg

So pretty much a grew,,

Here they are with 80 rabbits

dalesrabbits2-1.jpg

Edited by TOMO
  • Like 5

my uncle had a 3/8 whip 3/8 grey 1/4 collie and it was mustard , would take hares during the day and rabbit under the lamp, the bit of collie in there gave it a better coat and abit more stamina, stood around 24 tts , chased a rabbit on the fell into a hole and went over and broke its neck, shame he didnt have any pups off it befor hand

• Like 1

I have just read with interest the article in the countrymans weekly about whippet x greyhounds and there lack of popularity nowadays.

Who runs them and what are your thoughts?

I've often liked the idea of these but have never actually seen one run.

I spent most of last season wondering what the best dog would be for where I run my dogs, mainly golf course and a quarry with loads of cover and uneven terrain and kept thinking about the whippet x greyhound. Take off speed is paramount for both as is agility and turning but would they be tough enough?

My dogs ( 3/4 Grey 1/4 Beddy and Sal/Whip/Grey) are both tough as old boots and have taken some nasty knocks which have not phased them at all. Would a whip x grey be the same? What about feet?

The other positive for me is the fact that they would be a smaller dog. Don't get me wrong I stay within the law at the moment but keep bigger dogs in the hope that the ban will be overturned. However this is getting more and more unlikely as time goes on and I am appearing in court next week under the hunting act 2004 for simply being out with a dog and lamp (no quarry was run) which just emphasises to me how seriously they are beginning to take this load of nonsense. A bigger dog doesn't only attract more unwanted attention IMO but it also puts the "temptation" factor there to slip on illegal quarry.

So why isnt this little rabbiting speed machine more popular?

Any pros and cons appreciated and hopefully we will get a good discussion going.

Cheers

Gaz

collie whipp grey would suit theee gaz atb bunnys.
  • Like 1

I have just read with interest the article in the countrymans weekly about whippet x greyhounds and there lack of popularity nowadays.

Who runs them and what are your thoughts?

I've often liked the idea of these but have never actually seen one run.

I spent most of last season wondering what the best dog would be for where I run my dogs, mainly golf course and a quarry with loads of cover and uneven terrain and kept thinking about the whippet x greyhound. Take off speed is paramount for both as is agility and turning but would they be tough enough?

My dogs ( 3/4 Grey 1/4 Beddy and Sal/Whip/Grey) are both tough as old boots and have taken some nasty knocks which have not phased them at all. Would a whip x grey be the same? What about feet?

The other positive for me is the fact that they would be a smaller dog. Don't get me wrong I stay within the law at the moment but keep bigger dogs in the hope that the ban will be overturned. However this is getting more and more unlikely as time goes on and I am appearing in court next week under the hunting act 2004 for simply being out with a dog and lamp (no quarry was run) which just emphasises to me how seriously they are beginning to take this load of nonsense. A bigger dog doesn't only attract more unwanted attention IMO but it also puts the "temptation" factor there to slip on illegal quarry.

So why isnt this little rabbiting speed machine more popular?

Any pros and cons appreciated and hopefully we will get a good discussion going.

Cheers

Gaz

collie whipp grey would suit theee gaz atb bunnys.

If I was going for something else in there then it would be Beddy I think mate.

My bitch is basically a grew with an 1/8th beddy and an 1/8th bull stands at 22tts, she lacks a little pace compared to my old grew but makes up for it in being a bit steadier and a bit tougher than the grew was. She still as plenty of pace though and as got a good set of lungs on her. :thumbs:

DSC00494.jpg

lunal.jpg

menluna.jpg

• Like 6

There's a good whippet greyhound in Scotland that is a good allrounder n still working hard at over 5 years old he was bred from a good tough working whippet to a staying greyhound, not sure if anyone on here knows the dogs he's called Bertie.

My bitch is basically a grew with an 1/8th beddy and an 1/8th bull stands at 22tts, she lacks a little pace compared to my old grew but makes up for it in being a bit steadier and a bit tougher than the grew was. She still as plenty of pace though and as got a good set of lungs on her. :thumbs:

DSC00494.jpg

lunal.jpg

menluna.jpg

What a smashing little dog mate. That bottom pic is awesome. Has she ever run on a golf course? She certainly looks like she could shift.

I used to think you were a right bell end but you are warming on me and you have got some nice dogs I will give you that :laugh:

It seems that all the best whip x greys have in fact got just a touch of something else in there.

Cheers for replies.

Gaz.

DSC00494.jpg

lunal.jpg

menluna.jpg

cracking bitch that johnny my type :thumbs:

• Like 1