What age?

Guest FOXDOG

what im trying to say is, if my bitch come's across a hole either fox or rabbit that is being used and there is something there, then in her way she will let me know thats there is something there, it doesnt matter fox or rabbit she will work it, where my other terrier's wont.

as i said if your wanting a earth dog to work fox then letting it on rabbits is going to put you in the position were you dig some holes for a poxy bunnie.... would look really good if out with a keeper for the first time :doh:

i dont think there is any problem with letting a pup hunt rabbits.first and formost it will get your pup hunting using its nose,running cover and most of all get it wanting and when the pup starts it digging career if it has it init it will forget all about the rabbits.

THERES IS A BIG PROBLEM LETTING A PUP HUNT RABBITS IF YOU WANT IT FOR DIGGING FOXES, " ALIMAC" HAS PUT IT IN A NUT SHELL READ HIS POST, I HAVE SEEN GOOD DOGS RUNNED BY ALLOWING THEM TO HUNT RABBITS....... LET ME TELL YOU A TRUE THING THAT HAPPENED TO A MATE OF MINE........15 YEARS AGO MY MATES SON HAD A " BORDER TERRIER" WE DUG HIM EACH WEEK ON BIG FOXES.....MY MATES SON TOOK THE BORDER TERRIER FERRETING ONE DAY WITH HIS LURCHER, NEXT TIME WE DUG THE BORDER TO A RABBIT, AND ON THAT DAY THERE WAS A FEW GUESS LADS OUT TO WATCH THE BORDER BEEN DUG, IT WAS THE LAST TIME MY MATE TOOK HIS YOUNG FELLA DIGGING WITH US EVEN TO THIS DAY....... RABBITS WONT IMPROVE A DOGS NOSE, A DOG EITHER HAS A GOOD NOSE OR HE DONT...... BRING THE PUP TO A FEW DIGS LET HIM SEE WHAT THE OTHER DOGS ARE DOING AND HAVE DONE, GIVE HIM A RAG AT A DEAD FOX, AND GIVE HIM PLENTY OF TIME .

foxdog, i cant say any more to change your mind, but in a year or so time when you have one of these embarrasing times(as it will happen) remember my advice..... as long as your happy with you dog that is ALL that counts, if you can smile in the face of embarasement then fair play, happy hunting mate, all the best alimac

I dont think you understand what I mean mate, the dog can hunt rabbits for a few months then start its digging career but during the months hes hunting the bunnies its above ground only he wont be allowed to show any interest in going down bunny holes :laugh: My dogs wouldnt fit anyway :thumbs:

FOXDOG, A PUP LEARNS WHAT RIGHT AND WHATS WRONG THE FIRST FEW MONTHS OF HIS LIVE, DONT CONFUSE HIM BY LETTING HIM HUNT A SHITTIE RABBIT, ONE DAY THE RABBIT WILL FIT IN A LARGE BURROW AND SO WILL THE PUP OR DOG, SO ENOUGHT OF SILLY RABBIT TALK PLEASE, AND DONT TAKE THIS AS AN INSULT.

Guest FOXDOG

p***y dont worry mate no offence has been taken but this is what I have always done the last 15 years and I never dug one of my dogs to a rabbit, the dog is from very good stuff and I will expect it to stay with whatever it meets underground so maybe I should change my ways and not ruin a promising youngster :hmm::thumbs:

p***y someone else talking sense.... :signthankspin: were not trying to be belittling knobs, just giving some hard earned experience/advice..... the choice is yours weather or not you take it.....

remember a dogs brain is not as complex as a humans, dont expect it to hunt rabbits above but not below.. :wallbash: they might have hearts the size of a bin lid but dont expect you dog to read your mind... there just not capable

Edited by alimac

p***y i did not say it would improve a dogs nose i said it would get a "PUP" hunting.i have been using terriers a year or two now and this is how most of my dogs was started just to get them roooting and as i said they soon forget when they start to work bigger quarry

• 2 weeks later...

my terrier gose to ground on rabbits and foxes its a pain in the arse but my uncles dog hunts only off the lead and will finds any rabbit walk striaght past there holes but if it finds a fox den it gose crazy until the fox bolts i belive keep it away from rabbits till its over a year old tghen it should be smart enough to no whats its ment to hunt