• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well here's my penny's worth..   I worked for a pack in Scotland that used about 12 1/2 couple of foxhounds to do fox control days on shooting estates, gun numbers varied between 6 & 60 dependi

you do not use fox hounds for fox drives for a start,...............when they take a line they could end up miles away on other land...........and secondly this is the exact reason there not readily a

going to watch a pack hunt is completely different to hunting hounds yourself . you've got your mind made up by the sounds of things so i'm not trying to discourage you only state the facts for anyone

I am only wanting to drive woods to keepers to keep them happy I am mainly wanting to hunt the fell land witch would let the hounds work properly I have hunted since being a kid with a couple of local packs my dad was the terrier man for 1 of the packs for 3 seasons a good few years back before the ban then he said it wasn't the same and stopped going a couple of seasons later thanks for the advice but it's foxhounds I want

I am only wanting to drive woods to keepers to keep them happy I am mainly wanting to hunt the fell land witch would let the hounds work properly I have hunted since being a kid with a couple of local packs my dad was the terrier man for 1 of the packs for 3 seasons a good few years back before the ban then he said it wasn't the same and stopped going a couple of seasons later thanks for the advice but it's foxhounds I want

going to watch a pack hunt is completely different to hunting hounds yourself . you've got your mind made up by the sounds of things so i'm not trying to discourage you only state the facts for anyone else that wants to hold the horn.

fox hounds ( English i think you mean) have be breed to hunt hounds on horse back and hunts for miles and miles. you need a lot of guns to cover big wood even small pieces depending on the shape. if one of the guns miss your on your bike and a good hound is hard to stop on a good scenting day. unless your fit as a fiddle and can out run a horse your in a spot of bother.

hounds can be noisy in kennnel so if you've got neighbours near by you will upset them if you don't know what you doing.

you can't just take a hound for a quite walk and take your eye off the ball or your on your bike again!!!!!!!!!

i've found hounds to be wired very differently to different breeds and you'll find yourself back to the drawing board when it comes to training even the basics.

saying that and there are many pitfalls with hounds but it can be very rewarding.

i'm not an expert far from it only an addict.

i just hope you don't find yourself in a position that it's all too much after a season and you've ruined good hounds. good luck with them :thumbs:

• Like 3

Whippet Were I come from the packs do fox drives so if its ok for them to do them then i am sure i can with a couple of hounds I have a lot of permission it would be big enough for a full pack of hounds to hunt on never mine just a couple of hounds

you do not use fox hounds for fox drives for a start,...............when they take a line they could end up miles away on other land...........and secondly this is the exact reason there not readily available.............thank god ..........

you need to start looking at different dogs for your type of work .........otherwise you will have no end of problems........it sounds like a few beagle xs would suit you better

. And beagle x wont hunt on lol

any dog will hunt up obviously hounds more so,.................ive never heard fox hounds driveing to the guns(maybe im young and dumb) ............now if your drawing cover with hounds your not driving to the guns,..........for fox drives to the guns at one end of the cover ,..............smaller dogs like beagle x terrier would be more appropreiate,.......fox hounds are for finding and hunting ,......you will not find a pack of fox hounds drawing cover surrounded by guns,...........for one its dangerous for hounds and men,............in my opionion you only use guns on fox drives and for bolting.......

you need to think what your doing and saying,...............you just said a pack comes on the same land and hunts ,...................people like yourself will ruin it for everyone on that hunt ,................why dont you enjoy the pack what hunts on your permission ,.................because you could be opening up a can of worms...........i tell you what i follow local pack and there is a guy who hunts foxes aswell ,...............hes a well educated man and why does he use beagle x russells and not fox hounds ,.........i think he uses 3 couple plus a couple of other terrriers and he has some good mornings.........the bigger dogs fly across ground alot faster than the smaller dogs and i tell you now unless your equiped right, with man power and equipment you will encounter problems.........

there are and allways have been gun packs using foxhounds , you need to get out more as for flushing to guns. ITS THE LAW lol

Whippet Were I come from the packs do fox drives so if its ok for them to do them then i am sure i can with a couple of hounds I have a lot of permission it would be big enough for a full pack of hounds to hunt on never mine just a couple of hounds

you do not use fox hounds for fox drives for a start,...............when they take a line they could end up miles away on other land...........and secondly this is the exact reason there not readily available.............thank god ..........

you need to start looking at different dogs for your type of work .........otherwise you will have no end of problems........it sounds like a few beagle xs would suit you better

any dog will hunt up obviously hounds more so,.................ive never heard fox hounds driveing to the guns(maybe im young and dumb) ............now if your drawing cover with hounds your not driving to the guns,..........for fox drives to the guns at one end of the cover ,..............smaller dogs like beagle x terrier would be more appropreiate,.......fox hounds are for finding and hunting ,......you will not find a pack of fox hounds drawing cover surrounded by guns,...........for one its dangerous for hounds and men,............in my opionion you only use guns on fox drives and for bolting.......

you need to think what your doing and saying,...............you just said a pack comes on the same land and hunts ,...................people like yourself will ruin it for everyone on that hunt ,................why dont you enjoy the pack what hunts on your permission ,.................because you could be opening up a can of worms...........i tell you what i follow local pack and there is a guy who hunts foxes aswell ,...............hes a well educated man and why does he use beagle x russells and not fox hounds ,.........i think he uses 3 couple plus a couple of other terrriers and he has some good mornings.........the bigger dogs fly across ground alot faster than the smaller dogs and i tell you now unless your equiped right, with man power and equipment you will encounter problems.........

there are and allways have been gun packs using foxhounds , you need to get out more as for flushing to guns. ITS THE LAW lol

not where im from there is no law.......well put it this way you cant use a pack to flush foxes too the guns lol,..................in england its TWO hounds too flush to the guns the law states,.................you need to get your facts right pal because you just stated that packs have been used to flush to the guns,.............a pack is more than one couple of hounds.................pmsl

if your getting two fox hounds you will need tracking collars on and a good quad bike to keep up with them ,..............that will help a bit lol

I have a quad bike and as for tracking device I will use my eyes and ears they do use and always have used packs to drive to guns were I am from same as they do for the farmers [BANNED TEXT] they are loosing lambs

I have a quad bike and as for tracking device I will use my eyes and ears they do use and always have used packs to drive to guns were I am from same as they do for the farmers [bANNED TEXT] they are loosing lambs

mate they will split up at times guarenteed................you will always find a pair of reduns in places

what be going to do then..........good luck me old cock..... :thumbs:

Well here's my penny's worth..

I worked for a pack in Scotland that used about 12 1/2 couple of foxhounds to do fox control days on shooting estates, gun numbers varied between 6 & 60 depending on sizes / area of the draws & number of foxes. Even when your "well gunned" foxes still get past and when the hounds go too, you haven't got a hope in hell of keeping up if they go away on a good fox that you suspect had been wounded by the gun, sounds like fun but the guns can be left behind for half a day while your away retrieving the hounds..

When I was up there a few other lads had 4 couple of beagle xs that we used to hunt foxes, bits taking between 5 minutes & 2 hours to do, if you know the ground you can keep up when they go, well most the time, they will hunt a line for aslong as the scent allows or it's interrupted by the fox being shot. It's far more relaxed with less pressure, meaning you'll enjoy watching your hounds work. We got more with these wee hounds than we ever did with the foxhounds because of the numbers of bits we could do in s day.

Doing bits like you say you'll be doing I know what I'd be getting.

• Like 7

not where im from there is no law.......well put it this way you cant use a pack to flush foxes too the guns lol,..................in england its TWO hounds too flush to the guns the law states,.................you need to get your facts right pal because you just stated that packs have been used to flush to the guns,.............a pack is more than one couple of hounds.................pmsl

if your getting two fox hounds you will need tracking collars on and a good quad bike to keep up with them ,..............that will help a bit lol :hmm: funny that as ive been around quite a while and can assure you old whippet that many famous names and packs did and have long before any ban used hounds to flush to guns in circumstances were need be and i am going back 40 years long before any ban :yes:

• Like 1

and just for good measure one spot was less than a mile from the M6 and there is no better pack in the country that came to flush to guns all be it half a doz hand picked by a legend :laugh: who could stop them because he was a legend whippet :yes:

• Like 2

im wrong in the hounds and guns because im inexsperienced and havent been out of the south west really ............i was only judgeing by what i seen and fook me not alot or as much as others , but were all learning all the time and i have my opionions and respect a tradition that is slowly dieing out .............but i will stay strong for what i believe.........and when people come on here trying to get foxhounds from others with no intention of hunting as a pack and for own leisure it upsets me a little because a fox hound is for pack work and belongs to hunts and this is the exact reason why there hard to get hold of........if everyman who hunted old reynard used fox hounds it wouldnt take long before the injunctions and laws would change too keep these marvellous animals out of the hands of people trying to do a bit on there own,.........theres reasons why there a pack animal and to be honest i think it should stay that way,........no better sound in the world than a pack in full flight and on a good line even the mounted hunters cant keep up with them,...........and thats where followers and supporters of the hunt plays there role ,..for one to protect the hounds and secondly to make sure there all in the lorry until next time,..............and i will end here and say good post alimac and i know what i prefer aswell............

what ever you choose ,..enjoy your sport and more importantly the welfare of the dogs.... :thumbs:

Well here's my penny's worth..

I worked for a pack in Scotland that used about 12 1/2 couple of foxhounds to do fox control days on shooting estates, gun numbers varied between 6 & 60 depending on sizes / area of the draws & number of foxes. Even when your "well gunned" foxes still get past and when the hounds go too, you haven't got a hope in hell of keeping up if they go away on a good fox that you suspect had been wounded by the gun, sounds like fun but the guns can be left behind for half a day while your away retrieving the hounds..

When I was up there a few other lads had 4 couple of beagle xs that we used to hunt foxes, bits taking between 5 minutes & 2 hours to do, if you know the ground you can keep up when they go, well most the time, they will hunt a line for aslong as the scent allows or it's interrupted by the fox being shot. It's far more relaxed with less pressure, meaning you'll enjoy watching your hounds work. We got more with these wee hounds than we ever did with the foxhounds because of the numbers of bits we could do in s day.

Doing bits like you say you'll be doing I know what I'd be getting.

good post bud too true.

I had 3 old hounds I got from "somewhere" I worked as a keeper in Perthshire for a long time and hunted them mainly thru forestry with a few good rifle men we got a lot of foxes and roe they were used to move animals in a 500 acr forestry rather than hunting them but some times they would go for a half a day with only hearing them and seeing animals move. thankfully towards the end of their working life,once they had slowed down a bit they would come back to the horn with a bit of percerverance