Anybody Tried One Of These 1W Laser Illuminators

well curiosity got the better of me so I decided to give it go and as 72line per says they give a grainy image but the worse thing was the light penetration it was very poor but as said above I contacted the guy who's happy to give a full no quibble refund on the laser and postage. ... good company but this one wasn't for me.

kanny

The light penetration is most likely poor because of the beam angle - 30 degrees is massive its like a torch!

At 100 metres if my trig method is correct, the beam width would be 53.6 metres wide!!

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm

Angle a = 15 Degrees (1/2 the full angle)

Side b = distance from gun to target = 100 metres

So the Calculated Side a (width) = 26.8 metres

Actual beam width = 2 x 26.8m = 53.6 metres diameter

Also, as an aside, be careful with Class IV lasers, they can damage your eyes faster than your blink reflex can save you, literally thousands of a second, the slightest glance = potentially burnt retinas.

With a 30 degrees beam the NOHD (nominal occular hazard distance) probably isn't that great, probably only a few metres, - but with a laser mounted on a gun, if you accidentally catch a glance whilst setting up or adjusting something on the gun, you won't be those number of metres away.

The narrower the beam, the greater the NOHD. eg a 1 W laser with a tight beam and low divergence can have a NOHD in the region of hundreds metres!

Edited by Alsone

The light penetration is most likely poor because of the beam angle - 30 degrees is massive its like a torch!

At 100 metres if my trig method is correct, the beam width would be 53.6 metres wide!!

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm

Angle a = 15 Degrees (1/2 the full angle)

Side b = distance from gun to target = 100 metres

So the Calculated Side a (width) = 26.8 metres

Actual beam width = 2 x 26.8m = 53.6 metres diameter

Also, as an aside, be careful with Class IV lasers, they can damage your eyes faster than your blink reflex can save you, literally thousands of a second, the slightest glance = potentially burnt retinas.

With a 30 degrees beam the NOHD (nominal occular hazard distance) probably isn't that great, probably only a few metres, - but with a laser mounted on a gun, if you accidentally catch a glance whilst setting up or adjusting something on the gun, you won't be those number of metres away.

The narrower the beam, the greater the NOHD. eg a 1 W laser with a tight beam and low divergence can have a NOHD in the region of hundreds metres!

Thanks for the informative post bud :thumbs:

but with all that said I feel the biggest problem was the fact that it doesn't have a clear lens its more opaque.... when I asked the guy why this was he told me it was so the light from the diode was more evenly spread throughout the beam removing hot and cold spots like you get with the cheaper lasers.....as im only using a air rifle a 100m is more than enough for spotting rabbits killing ranges are more like 40m downwards.

kanny