Okay ladies and gents, mothers 3 year old Wheaton/Greyhounf has apparently collapsed with EIC. Waiting for the vet. Dog was fitting, now led on my sofa, breathing fast, eyes open, but unable to move. . Told over the phone he'll come good after rest. . Anyone experienced this ? He's going to be thirsty for sure. Been over 30 mins now. Getting better gradually. .

Thanks

Okay ladies and gents, mothers 3 year old Wheaton/Greyhounf has apparently collapsed with EIC. Waiting for the vet. Dog was fitting, now led on my sofa, breathing fast, eyes open, but unable to move. . Told over the phone he'll come good after rest. . Anyone experienced this ? He's going to be thirsty for sure. Been over 30 mins now. Getting better gradually. .

Thanks

cool it down and limit its water when it comes around :thumbs:

I had it 2yrs back with my spaniel dog after a full days graft pushing through woodland . I just carried him back to van took him home put him in a dark place to sleep it off . not nice to see he was fitting like you described and hes still with us today fitter than ever but like said get recharge down him atb mick

• Like 1

Yup seen it a few times including this year at the shoot with a seriously fit spaniel. Young dog as well. Sometimes it just happens, he now takes glucose gell out with him incase the dog flags again

• Like 1

Interesting area, do you think it was true EIC which would seem to have a genetic cause or could it have been heatstroke?

Retrievers are well known to suffer with EIC as are border collies; site below has a video of a border collie showing symptoms.

EIC is usually something that has a short recovery whereas heat stroke or fitting would have a slower recovery.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vbs/faculty/Mickelson/lab/EIC/bordercollieEIC/&sa=U&ei=4G6bUfXfI4aE4ASq14DwDA&ved=0CBsQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHn6L_HODX2P6hA17un4l74Mi1beg

purely for rehydration, (not for animals with an illness0, are things like recharge and lectade actually any better than water? in my experience a dog which has diarrhoea or similar may benefit from salt/glucose solution but pure water better for simple rehydration?

purely for rehydration, (not for animals with an illness0, are things like recharge and lectade actually any better than water? in my experience a dog which has diarrhoea or similar may benefit from salt/glucose solution but pure water better for simple rehydration?

Is water any better or worse than lucozade sport :whistling:

i was exercising my deerhound xgrey a few years back running behind my van ,now this was on a bumpy road so i wasnt going fast at all i was also running my saluki pup too .after about a mile i turned round opened doors to let dogs in as there was a few people walking about so decided to go home ,when we got home my pup was fine jumping about as normal but deer xgrey looked not his usuall self when we got home i put food and fresh water for him which he turned his nose at and went to his kennel . i went to phone vets as something didnt seem right i was gone maybe 10 minutes when i returned he was dead . i was devastated as was the mrs and kids ...

Simple really replace what’s missing, ie if the dog had diarrhea/vomiting it will be losing fluids, energy substrate and salts so give rehydration with these added such as Dioralyte which has salts and glucose given in water.

If it is just a little dry give water.

If it has burned its available glucose store give glucose ie Lucosade or home made versions.

On the other hand if its over heating cool it down ie water on the outside such as pond or water trough, if open water is not available wet any area with little hair such as belly inner thighs and sips to wet mouth/tongue along with wetting surface veins on legs etc, give small amounts of water to aid cooling but don't let it over do it as it may then just vomit it all back up.

If unsure if over heating or low glucose give glucose solutions and cool down it down as above.

Dogs tend to over heat rather than get dehydrated but as they then drink lots to cool down people have traditionally thought the dog was dry.

If a dog has lost salts without vomiting etc or is so dry that these are really needed then it needs a vet PDQ.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1

my little dog did on a busy day...i just had to carry her the rest of the way and after a nights sleep she was goo as gold, wasnt fitting tho :hmm: i think fitting could indicate worst tbh

My little terrier did the same a few years back after a long day out..

my little dog did on a busy day...i just had to carry her the rest of the way and after a nights sleep she was goo as gold, wasnt fitting tho :hmm: i think fitting could indicate worst tbh

My little terrier did the same a few years back after a long day out..

she was bushing rabbits out of woodland running after them everywhere after a day of catching bolters up on the hill... she was very lethhargic and drank her weight in water out of a trough but the next morning she was jumping around like a coiled spring