Springer Bipod Solution?

Hi everyone, as we all know by now, using a bipod on a springer air rifle doesnt work because of its recoil pattern. So when out hunting in an open space (lets use a field while rabbit hunting for example) there arent many options to steady yourself and springers tend to be quite heavy and fatiguing to hold over a period of time. I was wondering about a solution... would a tripod with a padded rest on the top work? it would be free standing and separate from the gun and would theoretically give an affect similar to a bench rest, whilst remaining light and portable. what are peoples views on this? is there any reason why it wouldnt work? I look forward to your replies,

Joe.

I sometimes use a forked stick as a monopd. Works for me with my Meteor. Your idea seem good to me. i have a few rests scattered around on my grounds made from various sand bags etc. I was thinking of hitting a car boot sale for a camera tripod to play with.

ATB

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about this very thing for some time. I use a pair of sticks for stalking but I want something for hide shooting that is short enough to use from the seated position but could be upped to the standing position if required. If it's practical enough it might replace the pair of sticks. I was thinking about getting three cheapo aluminium walking poles and fabricating a joint for them that would carry a bench rest style rest on top. Then I could rest my hand on the top and my rifle in my palm just like on my sandbag when at the range. I did think about using the pad from the top of old crutch or maybe bend a piece of pipe/bar and wrap it in pipe lagging and gaffer tape. The camera tripod is a genius idea! I like it a lot, it's perfect and would save a lot of bother so I've just picked this one from eBay for £5 - bargain!

T2eC16hyUE9s6NGYjZBRbpVZog60_12_zpsba34e

I'll take the camera mount bit off the top, attach some kind of pad thing, cover it all in camo tape and Bob's your uncle! (Actually, he is in my case!)

I'll post some pics as I go so you can how it turns out if you like, although I have a few projects on the go at the moment and a 15 day old son to look after so progress may be slow!

Thanks for the ideas though folks :thumbs::D

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes use a forked stick as a monopd. Works for me with my Meteor. Your idea seem good to me. i have a few rests scattered around on my grounds made from various sand bags etc. I was thinking of hitting a car boot sale for a camera tripod to play with.

ATB

Ihave used a camera tripod padded with pipe insulation with good results for some time now. got mine on a car boot for a couple of pounds.

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate there are a couple of ways around this.
As you suggested making some sort of pod, which you can rest your hand on and shoot naturally will keep your accuracy on par, but seems like too much effort to me ;)
When I go out with my springer, (An old BSA Supersport which kicks like a mule) when there's nothing to lean on I take off my game-bag and put on the floor and use it as a sand bag. It is very important that you rest the rifle on your hand whatever you rest on.

The easiest and least cumbersome thing I do, is simply adopt an FT style sitting position, with the rifle rested on your knee similar to this, but with the rifle rested on an open hand rather than my folded arm.
08-09-11-01-Mini-sniping-Mac-sitting-pos

This will require a lot of practice at different ranges until you're very confident and have found the most comfortable position for you. I generally always take 4 or 5 shots at a 30yard spinning target before doing any hunting and I will not leave until I have hit the small spinner at least 3 times in a row.

Hope this helps buddy, keep spring air rifle shooting alive :)

Aye the FT position is cool unless very muddy ground. I used a pod on my vulcan and didnt really have a problem with it....the thing i found was not to grip the rifle too tight and just let it rest into the shoulder and hold the pistol grip lightly so as to let the rifle recoil as normal.