Wild Bird Feeding Stations

Location is very important. You need to put it where birds can avoid predators like cats and Sparrow Hawks.

location is extremly important, mines are all in range for the slug gun for any pesky squirrels and crows trying for free meeal got a right prob with rooks the now at first light.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few years ago I used to sell home made bird tables on ebay, to be honest I used to sell a lot, then ebay changed the way the search engine worked and every garden centre that sold bird tables was sh

never mind big enough assortment of tits on here

one of my neighbours had spar and cat problems at her bird feeders. To stop this, I built a feeding station inside a gabian basket. The type used for landscaping. The 3 inch mesh is strong and stops p

Posted Images

I used to get mice mate they were not a problem when they were at the feeder but when the wife left the back door open a couple came in the house then I put out some bait stations to deal with them and it worked a treat as the birds cant get to the bait.

• Like 1

Location is very important. You need to put it where birds can avoid predators like cats and Sparrow Hawks.

yes, thats what made it hard to put a box in my garden, had to risk life and limb to get the box this high lol. cats are all round here, they make the birds ultra shy. its a shame realy as im sure id get a lot more birds on the table otherwise.
Really it doesn't need to be that high for cats. As long as its got a clear space around it and not next to maybe bushes. Your trying to eliminate hiding places for predators and give the garden birds as much time as possible to see anything coming.

My neighbour has a small weld mesh cage that he pops on the ground. Not the most pleasant thing to look at but it does stop birds like pigeons, seagulls and crows getting a feed. He also has a few bird tables as well...:-)

• Like 1

only get mice where a store the feed, when ma bins about 3rd full il leave a little ladder up to top with the lid off and hay presto you have some mice that cant jump out. i do this about once a month for a few days at a time keeps them down a bit.

• Like 1

I'm getting mice coming in through the back fence to the chicken coop, will they get through tiny mesh? Probably 1 inch square if that? If not that's fine, if yes....traps coming out :thumbs:

I'm getting mice coming in through the back fence to the chicken coop, will they get through tiny mesh? Probably 1 inch square if that? If not that's fine, if yes....traps coming out :thumbs:

Get the trap out anyway. There destructive little shits.......and yes they will get in through that.... :yes:

a quick ps. do any of you folks get mice. and if so how would you deal with that. :D

i`ve had the little feckers in my garage -- carting food in where its warm and dry little barstewards ate half the seat pad on a victorian chair and made holes in 5 furniture covers/blankets if they stay outside i`m fine with that once they feck about with my gear -- they have to go trapped 3 and had none for a week ....

• Like 1

if you can put a biro pen through it, then a mouse will get through no probs

How does it work with bird feeders can you get certain foods to try and attract different birds or are you just stuck with whatever birds are in your area ?

i want to attract a variety tits and finches. ive got a couple of robins, and saw a wren on the ground below the feeder ive had blue tits and a great tit and a blackbird. ive got fat balls and nuts out. any home made feeders for seeds folks. pics :D

How does it work with bird feeders can you get certain foods to try and attract different birds or are you just stuck with whatever birds are in your area ?

You'll just get the birds that are in the area mate. Probably be surprised what birds are there though when you start feeding the place.

• Like 2