Wild Bird Feeding Stations

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few years ago I used to sell home made bird tables on ebay, to be honest I used to sell a lot, then ebay changed the way the search engine worked and every garden centre that sold bird tables was sh

never mind big enough assortment of tits on here

one of my neighbours had spar and cat problems at her bird feeders. To stop this, I built a feeding station inside a gabian basket. The type used for landscaping. The 3 inch mesh is strong and stops p

Posted Images

Got a old oak branch aprox 3" round,3 ft long and drilled some holes in it with a brace and bit and fill it with lard and old seed,tied up with bailing twine,hardly worth a pic but looks rustic :laugh:.Did have a shed door down in the snow with the aviary sweeping spread on it and again wasn't really worth a pic and looked a right mess if i'm honest :icon_redface: but the birds liked it :D .

Edited by fireman

A few years ago I used to sell home made bird tables on ebay, to be honest I used to sell a lot, then ebay changed the way the search engine worked and every garden centre that sold bird tables was shown in the search results. Kiss of death for the small seller!!

I used to sell the same table but one was wall mounted and the other free standing.

Free standing.

2005_0325BIRDS0008.jpg

The base.

2005_0325BIRDS0003.jpg

Wall, fence or shed mounted.

tableonbracket005.jpg

tableonbracket003.jpg

These days I just use the runner beans sticks throughout the winter. Put the fat balls on one end and the seed feeders on the other. That way it tends to keep the birds seperate and you have a greater variety on the feeders at the same time.

2013_0203greenfinch0018_zps31ddd2f4.jpg

2013_0130woodpecker0041-1.jpg

2005_0101blackcap0005_zpsa607bdbe.jpg

TC

• Like 11

mines a 7ft post with hanging basket brackets for the feeders to hang on i cut a round piece of ply with a hole in the middle and dropped it onto the post half way down it catchs a lot of the dropped seed and its a feeding table .. i always turn a few spades of soil for the blackbirds to feck about in .. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Mine has been busy the last week , starlings , blackbird , robin , assorted Tits , Sparrows & collared doves . . Just waiting on the Sparrow-hawk now ;)

Wish i had assorted tits in my garden!!! :whistling::D

• Like 2

tiercel they look amazing, i put a bird box out two weeks ago and iv got a pair of blue tits popping in and out of it everyday im really made up and hope they nest in it. your work looks fantastic. i put a bird table up too but so far only collard doves have been using it but hopefully the tits should be confident enough to feed on it soon. atb tom :thumbs:

• Like 1

Location is very important. You need to put it where birds can avoid predators like cats and Sparrow Hawks.

yes, thats what made it hard to put a box in my garden, had to risk life and limb to get the box this high lol. cats are all round here, they make the birds ultra shy. its a shame realy as im sure id get a lot more birds on the table otherwise.

Mine has been busy the last week , starlings , blackbird , robin , assorted Tits , Sparrows & collared doves . . Just waiting on the Sparrow-hawk now ;)

Wish i had assorted tits in my garden!!! :whistling::D

never mind big enough assortment of tits on here :thumbs:

• Like 3

one of my neighbours had spar and cat problems at her bird feeders. To stop this, I built a feeding station inside a gabian basket. The type used for landscaping. The 3 inch mesh is strong and stops predators but the majority of garden birds can get in and feed in relative peace. The old lass says its worked really well. I'll get a pic up if I get chance to take one.

• Like 3

thanks folks lots to think about . i have a lot of magpies around me and squirrells. so they are a problem. as are the cats. :censored: .

i will post some pics when i get it up and running. i'm surprised no one has mentioned a bath. ive read they are handy to keep your tits clean. :laugh::laugh: also thanks for the pm.s :toast: