First Litter Of Kits - Advice Please

I was not saying that the father will eat his young i said it is better to take him out as when my polecats had there first litter 3years ago the father killed all 6 kits and he was not a bad ferret i fed him like a king my old man still says it was the jill that killed there litter but she had never even had a live mouse :s so i don.t no but just to be safe

Jills are known for killing their litters on occasion..

Dead right Mal, I've bred a few litters of kitts over the years and the best mothers sometimes kill the kitts, I don't think theres ever a particular reason why, it just happens. :victory:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It all comes down to the same old question. How are you going to get rid of spare kits, as you say you have already one hob, and two Jills, so if you keep one from each litter you will have 5 ferr

All this should have been found out before breeding a litter. You should have had a shed freezer. when I bred, i skinned the Rabbits chopped them in three pieces with an axe. then bagged them and fr

Guest annette jackman

Feed them well an ween them about 3-4 weeks i used mince then moved onto pinkies ect. I must say my hobb use to round up the young and curl round them. (He wasnt kept with them) he was kept with the jill i miss timed her whelp, and he use to clean her ect when she was to big to turn and do her own back haha.

But ive known others to kill, my jill killed 4 out the 10 she had (was a big litter for a small ferret might have had something to with that an what she could feed properly). Cant stress enough to leave her alone for the first week at lest an get some cat milk an liver as a treat to help boost her milk while shes feeding the young they loose condition quickly before they ween them. And be warned she may become nippy after.

Id be more concerned with trying to get them homes. if i was u get ur hobb vasecetomised too many unwanted ferrets about and they will breed with their young. You dont want ferrets with extra toes (haha) and defects, good luck with ur litters hope u find good homes for them.