New Member, Tips On Cage Trapping Rabbits Please !

Hi all, my first post.

I'm a full time pest controller, been in the business over twenty years.

Mostly city stuff, although I live in the sticks. I'm proud of the fact I'm

Pretty good at catching moles, but I really struggle with cage trapping rabbits.

I'd be so grateful if you experts out there could share a few tips.

Thanks.

Paul.

Dont trap em..just blast em.!!

Nah never botherd even trying to trap them, but i know of a HMP that trap them all the time and a bloke picks them up in his van and releases them somewhere else..so there must be a bit of an art to it. I think you get better results if your using more than one trap at anyone time..not that i know why. Ive seen rabbit traps on ebay and it says they work better if you use a pair of traps..maybe its just so you buy a pair instead of one but i think thats unlikley. Ive been thinking of buying a few to have a go..but never get round to it.

Anyway thats a pritty good question..il be keeping my eyes on this thread..im might learn somthing..Everydays a school day.!!

Maybe its a trick question..after all the experiance you have you might just be testing us out lol. Will say one thing though..i bet you i can shoot more at 60yard with my .177 hw100ks than youl catch in your traps in a day lol.

Welcome to THL

Marty

Nah never botherd even trying to trap them, but i know of a HMP that trap them all the time and a bloke picks them up in his van and releases them somewhere else..so there must be a bit of an art to it. I think you get better results if your using more than one trap at anyone time..not that i know why. Ive seen rabbit traps on ebay and it says they work better if you use a pair of traps..maybe its just so you buy a pair instead of one but i think thats unlikley. Ive been thinking of buying a few to have a go..but never get round to it.

Anyway thats a pritty good question..il be keeping my eyes on this thread..im might learn somthing..Everydays a school day.!!

Maybe its a trick question..after all the experiance you have you might just be testing us out lol. Will say one thing though..i bet you i can shoot more at 60yard with my .177 hw100ks than youl catch in your traps in a day lol.

Welcome to THL

Marty

that's a silly bet to make,the cage trap would not be my own choice of controlling rabbits but I know a couple of lads who put a lot of time into them,i know one field where they caught over a hundred in two days , try and match that with your pop gun

Welcome to THL

Marty

that's a silly bet to make,the cage trap would not be my own choice of controlling rabbits but I know a couple of lads who put a lot of time into them,i know one field where they caught over a hundred in two days , try and match that with your pop gun

HOW?

I really would like some pointers here, my rabbit cage trapping has been far from successful!

the time the traps are left out is important, most cage trappers do not expect a catch for few days .then they will come in at a trickle, bait is important and carrot is a favourite but apple or other roots are good too, the lads I know are based in south Lincs and set their about ten yards out and ten yards apart, also they set them in a D shape on some hilly ground with the I of the D being the woodside or headland. these boys set a lot of traps and theft is a problem even when they live local and check 2/3 times a day . Look at nods posts on here ,he does a bit and has a fair bit of success .

Chopped up apple and carrot as bait a littler on the runs leading up to the cages and the main amount in the cages ... Cover the cage floor in earth because if the rabbit feels the wire underneath its feet it will back off ....

If the ground and time constraint permits keep the cage door jammed open so that they get used to feeding inside the cage ... Once they are eating the bait set the door and catch the coney ......

The only downside is that foxes and badgers love apple also and you may have a surprise in one of your cages ........

Chopped up apple and carrot as bait a littler on the runs leading up to the cages and the main amount in the cages ... Cover the cage floor in earth because if the rabbit feels the wire underneath its feet it will back off ....

If the ground and time constraint permits keep the cage door jammed open so that they get used to feeding inside the cage ... Once they are eating the bait set the door and catch the coney ......

The only downside is that foxes and badgers love apple also and you may have a surprise in one of your cages ........

Why get them used to the cages.....why not catch them when they go in the first time? Just wondering??? JD

• Like 1

I would quite happily out trap you and your 'pop' gun probuk.

Rabbits ain't fussed about walking on wire in the slightest. Find out where they are feeding at night. No point setting cages at 10-15 yards if they are feeding at 100. They will go in the cages first night but I tend to leave mine upside down over the weekend an start trapping on Monday. Couple of strips of carrot at the back and tiny piece at the front of cage. When foxes and badgers find the cages don't worry about killing the rabbits in the morning they are normally gone. The cages with spring doors might prevent this but pain in the arse. Will get pics up later when im on laptop

Why get them used to the cages.....why not catch them when they go in the first time? Just wondering??? JD

Because if you set your traps in a line it will take each various rabbit a different amount of time to get used to the traps and if you set 10 traps and on the first night a rabbit springs the trap and spooks the other rabbits it will be a long old wait before they get used to it again .... If the majority of the rabbits are used to the trap and are happily feeding the springing of a trap next to theirs or a couple of traps down won't bother them .......