Trajectory And Accuracy

Took my youngest son down to the indoor range today (his 2nd visit) and its his 2nd only shooting session.(he`s v, nearly 16)

My 100kt 177 is zeroed at 35 mtrs for "me" my lad hit everthing he went for with it.

I got friendly with the guy shooting next to me he was shooting a Theoben rapid 22 and we swapped guns to evaluate the trajectories,- he was gobsmacked at how "forgivingly flat" the 100 kt is,- sorry lads i was horrified with the 22`s trajectory (it was like using a mortar) after 30 mtrs. -

I shot cross hairs "dead on" a 15 mtr target with the rapid 22 missed 5 inch to high ,my son shot the target with the 177 1/2 inch high but if quarry dead.

We didn`t fart about we set a paper target out at 40mtrs - 177 set to 35 mtrs was well on target inside a 5p piece shot on shot, 22 cal set for 30 mtrs was 2-1/2 inch approx` low shot on shot.

conclusion - 177 much easier to hit the target (head shot) and too much milldot guesswork in 22 after the 30 mtrs and under 20mtrs.

atb

There's no "mildot guesswork" involved, it's pure science! It just means practice and having a handy little diagram of your aimpoints at various distances stuck to the back of your scope cover. Or use chairgun/ strelock (like me!)

Of course for this to work you need to be accurate at range finding too, but again, practice with your AO scope and you'll get the hang of that too.

Your right though, .177's are more forgiving. My hunting partner uses one, I use .22. He hates my rifle and I love the simplicity of aiming with his. But I love the involvement and skill of shooting a .22 well, when you get it right it feels so good!

Jim

ehhh depends how you veiw the easier .177 thing, sometimes its too close to get the extraness accuracy, can actualy take longer to 'perfect'.

bottom line is..practice practice, but more inpoertant is take note and let it on your head, i.e. random zero's at random distances..welll...hmmmmm pissing in the wind one day, hot on the next and buying kit till yu piles pop..lol

measure it and learn it untill your head dont even think ooo 34 yards, six dots an hour to think about it..ooo get the cross hair on..ermm what was next? ahhh yeh crosss hairs back on lolol..what did the airgun mag say? ahh yes you cant hit it lolol!!

one thing to know...ITS THERE!! NAIL IT.

hot tip for the 16 year old, look at the target, everything else is going straight onto that target in sort of a 'one'..then the fun begins.(if he's hitting everything he's probably three quarts the way there, just needs muddling by helpfull 'others' to put the doubt in..twats!)

everytime you lift the gun your 'aiming' to lift it cross hair straight on, without wigging about to find it, for want of a metofore, straight to the cross hair is going one way towards it, wiggin about and thinking all insundry is going backwds left right up dawn side wise and all over the place..the pellet only wants one thing, a straight line at it, your body only needs to supply one thing..everything leading up and too that straight line. (and a little poise to still, just as you touch the trigger off, then the poise sorta watchs the pellet hit it, now yu can come out the scope lol).

Edited by ghillies
  • Like 1

Hi lads,

Yes the saying "it`s all well and good" inside on a range - yeah mate i agree but my lads 2nd outing lets get his confidence first, and using the 177 trajectory sure helped that.I have used the 22 calibre constantly since i was a 12 yr old so yeah i`ve had 39 years practice, the 100 kt is my first ever 177 calibre rifle and i`m really enjoying its trajectory and speed.

Now that i`ve spent some money on the 100 and hunted with it a lot i am more than ever convinced that for myself that not having to "compensate" hardly helps greatly in accuracy farther out.

The 22 will def` stay as a hunting calibre with me for 25- 30 mtr shots and close ratting,177 only for lamping(no mistakes)

Just my humble opinion,

Mark.

Hi Ghillies/lads

Yes might take him around the farm yard or sit him up in the barn where theres a round opening window looking directly onto the other barn roofs where he can use the bipod and be in pitch black to the outside world at dead on 30 yd shots.

Happy days.

Thats the spirit mark, Let his natural ability shine through. As far as .177 and .22 are concerned, they both do the job, however in my experience over the years with both calibres, .177 is far better at extreme range for two reasons, 1, it holds fpe and velocity far better than .22. and 2, quarry tend not to hear the round coming at them untill its too late, unlike the much slower .22. that said it depends a lot on wind direction with the .22. Have you ever seen rabbits duck down or move at 60 yrds just after youve squeezed a shot off ? 5 times out of 10 its because they can hear it coming, thats where the .177 has the advantage, smaller hiss,but much faster. well thats just my experienced opinion, its held good for me over the years, thousands and thousands of rabbits later. not blowing my own trumpet, just trying to deliver some common sense which i know every body has but sometimes forgets.

phil

• Like 1

.177 = 1 + 7 + 7 = 15 which represents the first point scored in a game of tennis which is played at Wimbledon, home of the Wombles who performed at Glastonbury in 2011 which was The International Year of Forests as declared by the United Nations,who's Secretary General is Ban Ki-moon of South Korea , where 90% of the population like to eat a delicacy of Beetle Crab shit, which is an anagram of..........

....... the best calibre. END OFF :whistling:

• Like 1

.177 = 1 + 7 + 7 = 15 which represents the first point scored in a game of tennis which is played at Wimbledon, home of the Wombles who performed at Glastonbury in 2011 which was The International Year of Forests as declared by the United Nations,who's Secretary General is Ban Ki-moon of South Korea , where 90% of the population like to eat a delicacy of Beetle Crab shit, which is an anagram of..........

....... the best calibre. END OFF :whistling:

HMM, not a fan of .22 then, lol

phil