Live Traps..

What about catching mink on the river and you have water voles you can let the vole go and then despatch the mink can't do that with a kill trap

yes you can fire fox.. more mink two than you would get in a live trap and water voles be safer to if you know how to go about it

There is, as far as I'm aware, no approved kill trap for foxes or birds.

Cage trapping is the only means of trapping birds under the General Licences.

Cage trapping is also commonly used for trapping crayfish

There are countless borderline situations where you may need to trap and kill traps just aren't appropriate, whether that's because of the risk to non-target wild or domestic species, because you're engaged in a sanctioned relocation or study programme, or simply because the landowner says so.

Cage traps are large, bulky, can be difficult to transport and easily spotted, so easily nicked.

However they do work and definitely have their place - in my view.

Edited to add: One thing which does annoy me though is when people use the term 'humane traps' to describe cage traps as if it meant the same thing. It doesn't.

A well set, appropriately powered spring kill trap is about as humane as you can get. Using cage traps places a greater responsibility on the user to check frequently and be practically and emotionally prepared to deal with catches efficiently an without fuss.

I suspect that we probably agree on that.

• Like 3

As you have seen logun i do a fair bit with the rabbit cages, most of them are right on the foor paths with the rabbits crossing over the paths to get to the wheat fields, there is no way i could use kill traps along the foot paths

birds, foxes etc as we know can not be taken by kill traps..i think kill traps,discretely hidden away,are more human in use and often left untouched by the public... my opinion only ,but i see no real purpose in using them myself, and on a fair point of view i find them unnecessary.

What would you use Logan ? I think you could catch fox cubs easy enough in the right sized body grip badgers too, but all you are left with after that is locking snares or a killing pole. I agree with you though ,any animal that is being caught to be killed,is better off ,being killed when its caught.