What To Do.

offshore drilling?

I'm not sure I could ever go back offshore/overseas, sick of being away from home etc. I now work from home but on half the money so I end up working twice the days which is pretty bad.

I hate being a slave to money

No mate, drilling and grouting mine workings.I'm a plant mechanic so will be maintaining the drilling rigs and associated plant

offshore drilling?

I'm not sure I could ever go back offshore/overseas, sick of being away from home etc. I now work from home but on half the money so I end up working twice the days which is pretty bad.

I've just been offered an Office job as opposed to the rotation I'm on.

Working twice the time for 1/2 the cash..... :blink:

Fancy being at home for the kids as they are at the stage of questioning why I have to go away, and it's not good.

Like I said before, money's not everything but you can do very little without it!

Time off is the BIG thing for me, This lets me take the kids to the school bus, collect them, and attend some of their activities.....which I couldn't do working

9-5 each day....

20+ years at it tho.........It's hard to get away from it.

Yeh its ironic that I had time too do that when I was working away because I was on a rotation and now I work at home I cant get out of the house.

I'm at the point where I am questioning all my original ideas of bigger and better house etc. I'd prefer to have zero debt and little out goings in case I lose my job again.

offshore drilling?

No mate, drilling and grouting mine workings.I'm a plant mechanic so will be maintaining the drilling rigs and associated plant

Sounds interesting mate.

I did a masters degree in mining geology and loved being down the mines in Cornwall but I never got a job in that industry as the metal prices was on it's arse when I graduated so I just took the first job I could get in the oil industry...fecking hate it.

Sounds like you made the right choice hope it works out for you :thumbs:

I currently work a 37 hour week, but do overtime most sat mornings to top up my wages. It will just be a 5 day week with the new job.

The job I have been offered, is working for a drilling company that I have worked for before. They were fine to work for and the job is secure. I left them almost two years ago for a lot less money but more time with the family.

Since bought a new house and although we have been managing, money has been a little tight.

I have worked out that I will be around 240quid better off between the extra pay and not running my own car back and forward to work

So - why you asking us????

To hear other peoples opinions, I'm not sure what to do for the best.

Changing jobs is scary when you have mortgage etc...at least that is how I always felt.

I nearly changed when I was working in Libya but the fear of the unknown put me off...sounds dumb considering a year later I was made unemployed and was stuck in the country without a passport 9 days before the revolution. I got out just before it all kicked off.

In hindsight it was a no brainer to change jobs but I always worried about changing and ending up worse off or out of work again. That is why in my industry at least they love married men...easy to scare in to working their fingers to the bone and not causing fuss.

offshore drilling?

I've just been offered an Office job as opposed to the rotation I'm on.

Working twice the time for 1/2 the cash..... :blink:

Fancy being at home for the kids as they are at the stage of questioning why I have to go away, and it's not good.

Like I said before, money's not everything but you can do very little without it!

Time off is the BIG thing for me, This lets me take the kids to the school bus, collect them, and attend some of their activities.....which I couldn't do working

9-5 each day....

20+ years at it tho.........It's hard to get away from it.

Yeh its ironic that I had time too do that when I was working away because I was on a rotation and now I work at home I cant get out of the house.

I'm at the point where I am questioning all my original ideas of bigger and better house etc. I'd prefer to have zero debt and little out goings in case I lose my job again.

That's kinda what my plan is,

Kick the ar*e out of the mortgage just now whilst the interest is low, and I'm in a position to get their money.

Then, when interest goes up, It should be on a lower amount, or if I lose my job, it won't be such a wory.

Scary thing is, I've been thinking about starting all over again.

Instead of paying % into pension which may / may not give me a few ££ if I make it to old age, been thinking about a second house :icon_eek:

At least in 20 years time it will still be there to sell, or if they want to build some funky motorway, they'll have to buy it from me!

But,

I still say you need to be happy in your job.

It's all ok making a million to do as ya please, but if it turns you into a miserable moaning f*cker, Don't bother. Stick with what you're happy with.

Met too many people on their 3rd or 4th wife because of their work (one way or another) You don't want to become one of them.

Been telling my wife for years, If she see's that happening, tell me, and I'll stop!!

Again,

Money is not everything! :bye: