Which Hound?!

will84

Hi all,

Me and a friend are considering getting a couple of hounds, but we're not sure what to go for? Thinking on the lines of a beagle/beagle x, land we have is a mixture of woods and open fields, we have a few dogs between us but want something that hunts fox only and speaks when it's on one.

What do you think?!

really depens how quick you can run and the amount of land you have permission on good foxhounds can cover miles in the blink of a eye just there on sunday within no time hounds where hunting 8 miles away that was some walk over a mountain to get back in touch with them so if this does nt sound like much fun to you and your not fit enough id go for a beagle type

but if your just looking to flush to the lurcher a springer terrier cross would do the job

but first of all think long and hard about what suits your needs hounds need plent of work

and do you really have the amount of permision need to keep a small pack of hound ?

hope this helps a bit best of luck on your new venture

robert

• Like 1

It's nice you got one reply Will84.. you ask a genuine question on THL and no one will bother replying. Next time you will have to ask a dumb question about what hounds are best suited to hunting a giraffe in the uk and you might get more response. I thought the hound lads would of gave you some good input but I was wrong.

really depens how quick you can run and the amount of land you have permission on good foxhounds can cover miles in the blink of a eye just there on sunday within no time hounds where hunting 8 miles away that was some walk over a mountain to get back in touch with them so if this does nt sound like much fun to you and your not fit enough id go for a beagle type

but if your just looking to flush to the lurcher a springer terrier cross would do the job

but first of all think long and hard about what suits your needs hounds need plent of work

and do you really have the amount of permision need to keep a small pack of hound ?

robert

perhaps martmc as sensible answer like the one above doesnt need a lot added to.

Will84 its true foxhounds need a lot of ground out here there are a lot of fox grews that use foxhounds and large beagles but those crews have as many a dozen to 20 men to suround an area to be hunted that will shoot or put the running dogs on an fox that breaks there way. most importantly catch any hound on a hot scent from an unseen fox.

Some others use small dogs terriers , bassets both the basset bloodhound type and the basset griffin types as well as beaglexterrier types these crews still have a lot of shooters but a lot less looking for hounds.

• Like 1

It's nice you got one reply Will84.. you ask a genuine question on THL and no one will bother replying. Next time you will have to ask a dumb question about what hounds are best suited to hunting a giraffe in the uk and you might get more response. I thought the hound lads would of gave you some good input but I was wrong.

hillarious how someone who has only put 65 posts on in seven years puts a post on complaining about how nobody has replied, you never reply to anything!!! have you got absolutely nothing to add to anything?? apart from moaning that nobody has replied, obviously.

Like Steve says, the first reply pretty much sums it up.

• Like 1

:laugh: welcome to the world of hounds my friend.

i'd say it can be the most rewarding and exciting way to hunt but be prepared for the fear and heart ache when you can't find a hound after a good day. hounds are very different to other breeds you have to work with them and it takes time to get a good level of control.

hounds have been bred for hundreds of years to suit a particular terrain,style or quarry there are many varied breeds that might suite you like some of the smaller modern french hounds,welsh hounds or maybe even a teckel.

i must admit i'm a little biased when it comes to beagles but as already said you've got to be fit. oh yeah be prepared to fight your way though 6 foot brambles wade a cross swollen rivers and getting home after dark soaking wet in just a pair boxers shorts. AFTER SAYING THAT IF YOU GET THE BUG YOUR IN TROUBLE.

And lastly you meet some good people along the way and a few more knob heads.

good luck what ever you decide mate :thumbs:

• Like 3

hillarious how someone who has only put 65 posts on in seven years puts a post on complaining about how nobody has replied, you never reply to anything!!! have you got absolutely nothing to add to anything?? apart from moaning that nobody has replied, obviously.

Like Steve says, the first reply pretty much sums it up.

i'd say it can be the most rewarding and exciting way to hunt but be prepared for the fear and heart ache when you can't find a hound after a good day. hounds are very different to other breeds you have to work with them and it takes time to get a good level of control.

hounds have been bred for hundreds of years to suit a particular terrain,style or quarry there are many varied breeds that might suite you like some of the smaller modern french hounds,welsh hounds or maybe even a teckel.

i must admit i'm a little biased when it comes to beagles but as already said you've got to be fit. oh yeah be prepared to fight your way though 6 foot brambles wade a cross swollen rivers and getting home after dark soaking wet in just a pair boxers shorts. AFTER SAYING THAT IF YOU GET THE BUG YOUR IN TROUBLE.

Thanks for the helpful reply its much appreciated.

robert

:thumbs: spot on

Thanks for the helpful answers

In reply to some of them, yes I'm fit and will get fitter if need be, And yes I would say I have enough land to give a couple of hounds some work.

I've been out with foot packs (harriers) and mounted pack and yes the foxhounds cover a massive amount in a small time, as do the Harriers when they get going. That's why I was thinking something smaller from the hound family.

When we hunt them it could be anything from just 3-4 of us to a dozen with lurchers/guns.

I'll keep doing research on the smaller breeds and try an talk to people who work them

(getting home after dark soaking wet in a just a pair boxer shorts) try explaining this to your wife if you dident keep hounds. LOL good luck will84 hope you get something to suit you.

Hi all,

Me and a friend are considering getting a couple of hounds, but we're not sure what to go for? Thinking on the lines of a beagle/beagle x, land we have is a mixture of woods and open fields, we have a few dogs between us but want something that hunts fox only and speaks when it's on one.

What do you think?!

from reading your thread what ground you have,, your best bet is to get 2 till 3 foot beagle hounds will hunt bogs all day handy caught easy worked with good hound for you to start with mate :thumbs:

Hi all,

What do you think?!

My one year old basset speaks when he is on a fox, or two as it was the other day, he enjoyed that! I didnt quite so much, as it was my lunch hour and there I was running across a muddy field trying to keep up with my stubby legged hound. All fun though. Best of luck with your choice.

• Like 1