So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Westlands peat free compost verses Vitax 100% peat. I normally buy the Vitax I have used it for years but have to travel out about 10 miles to buy it. So the other day as wifey keeps pinching it for her flowers I bought 3 bags of Westlands for £12 from Morrisons down the road. 

So thought I would do a little experiment I pricked out 6 Little Gem from a seed tray into identical cells on the same day a week ago. Westlands Vs Vitax. Well think the results are plane to see I shan't be wasting any money on Westland shit again.

IMG_4721.jpeg.28d4c178dd46ef376a4c202c6d714e88.jpeg

IMG_4725.jpeg.78c2ea82c46420d805fe5eb355d11faf.jpeg

IMG_4727.jpeg.f746fb1715c2d7226abae1e44fce3a66.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 8

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

been down today but not sure if the pics will work

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Just dug two Jazzy potato plants from the end of a row 7lb 5oz / 3,318kg. Well happy with that I'm keeping an eye on them for blight. Might lift the lot if I'm worried.

IMG_4730.jpeg.e4ce2a69cc2a0cdd1c8967e3ded7eab9.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Arry said:

Just dug two Jazzy potato plants from the end of a row 7lb 5oz / 3,318kg. Well happy with that I'm keeping an eye on them for blight. Might lift the lot if I'm worried.

IMG_4730.jpeg.e4ce2a69cc2a0cdd1c8967e3ded7eab9.jpeg

Cheers Arry

What does blight look.like never had it before but couple plants have gone rotten if it is blight I'll know who 2 blame 

22 minutes ago, Black neck said:

What does blight look.like never had it before but couple plants have gone rotten if it is blight I'll know who 2 blame 

f**k me my fault for crop failure.

The plant that have gone rotten, did the stems rot off just above the ground mate?

Late blight usually strikes from July onwards, the leaf get brown marks that go nearly black then black stems. If this happens cut all the top off as it will spread to the spuds.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Arry said:

f**k me my fault for crop failure.

The plant that have gone rotten, did the stems rot off just above the ground mate?

Late blight usually strikes from July onwards, the leaf get brown marks that go nearly black then black stems. If this happens cut all the top off as it will spread to the spuds.

Cheers Arry

Stems went well slimey leaves just looked dead not black 

3 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Bit wierd this non flowering potato lark  did any yours flower in the end arry

Still not flowered mate.

Cheers Arry

5 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Sound like something called "Black Leg" mate. 

I you dig them as soon as they wilt over you should save the spuds, if you leave them the spud will start to go black and rot.

Cheers Arry

2 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Dya reckon they will 

I really don't know mate some of mine the top look like they are over so I started to dig them as I need them. To be honest I'm very happy what is under them.

Cheers Arry

18 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Did any of the potatoes under the rotted off plant look like this. I had one plant wilt over with black leg so dug them to save the spuds. Most were okay bit small but two had started to go black.

37ad7f84-f155-43db-bd94-1a7aec28b43b.jpg.f2e4bf5f0f553e43206ee86a0abdb928.jpg

Cheers Arry

7 hours ago, Arry said:

Did any of the potatoes under the rotted off plant look like this. I had one plant wilt over with black leg so dug them to save the spuds. Most were okay bit small but two had started to go black.

37ad7f84-f155-43db-bd94-1a7aec28b43b.jpg.f2e4bf5f0f553e43206ee86a0abdb928.jpg

Cheers Arry

Reckon it's that tbf

• Like 1
On 24/06/2024 at 18:35, Arry said:

Westlands peat free compost verses Vitax 100% peat. I normally buy the Vitax I have used it for years but have to travel out about 10 miles to buy it. So the other day as wifey keeps pinching it for her flowers I bought 3 bags of Westlands for £12 from Morrisons down the road. 

So thought I would do a little experiment I pricked out 6 Little Gem from a seed tray into identical cells on the same day a week ago. Westlands Vs Vitax. Well think the results are plane to see I shan't be wasting any money on Westland shit again.

Cheers Arry

That's a good idea doing the comparison planting Arry 👍.

• Like 2
On 24/06/2024 at 09:35, Arry said:

Cheers Arry

Used peat free ..it’s shite . 

21 hours ago, Arry said:

Sound like something called "Black Leg" mate. 

I you dig them as soon as they wilt over you should save the spuds, if you leave them the spud will start to go black and rot.

Cheers Arry

Your Blackneck has spread to the leg  … just think you could have a black **** soon you’ve only yourself to blame for all the black jacks consumed as a lad 

• Haha 1