So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

On 22/09/2024 at 13:07, Arry said:

Struggled with Carrots this year they have forked, still enough for dinner. Still picking some Runners been picking of this row since June. Did feed them with Banana skins a while back.

IMG_6175.jpeg.cbde92fecd58f764ec35c1bb5837b8bf.jpeg

IMG_6179.jpeg.2af95f07dbec3e1ef192799697994613.jpeg

Cheers Arry

Least u got out 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

been down today but not sure if the pics will work

Few bits picked and washed tonight  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Least u got out 

Not sure what you mean mate.

Carrots I pull them as I need them. bean I managed to keep going might just get a couple more feeds.

Cheers Arry

4 minutes ago, Arry said:

Not sure what you mean mate.

Carrots I pull them as I need them. bean I managed to keep going might just get a couple more feeds.

Cheers Arry

I struggle wi carrots ,I done frenchies this year soon got fed up wi um tbf

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Black neck said:

I struggle wi carrots ,I done frenchies this year soon got fed up wi um tbf

I struggled as well with germination this year, I don't normally have a problem. They forked and I think its because I tipped the peat from last years Tomatos pots and dug it in. To much goodness I think. Still never too old to learn something.

Cheers Arry

3 minutes ago, Arry said:

I struggled as well with germination this year, I don't normally have a problem. They forked and I think its because I tipped the peat from last years Tomatos pots and dug it in. To much goodness I think. Still never too old to learn something.

Cheers Arry

I.over fertilised some once and they went long as your arm but thin as pencil,this year was just germination problems, well say that they came through lovely then disappeared up the own arses

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Black neck said:

I.over fertilised some once and they went long as your arm but thin as pencil,this year was just germination problems, well say that they came through lovely then disappeared up the own arses

A friend germinates Carrot in compost in lengths of guttering then just make a little trough and slide them in it works for him. I have done short lengths like that to fill in gap before now.

Cheers Arry

23 minutes ago, Arry said:

A friend germinates Carrot in compost in lengths of guttering then just make a little trough and slide them in it works for him. I have done short lengths like that to fill in gap before now.

Cheers Arry

Worth a go mate

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

After the first frost yesterday i took up all the marrows , pumpkins and i think Scotland's not the place for growing them outside , The courgettes fruited like weeds and where great fried with a bit of butter , The sweetcorn despite hand pollinating them every day the corn on the cobs is like join the dots so next year i will give it a last chance in the greenhouse , Other than that i will just grow potatoes in tubs mainly first earlies but some maincrop and apache if i can get the seed tatties 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Heres a curious one and interesting I think. Last year I saved some runner bean White Lady seed I just saved the longest beans and dried them. All the seed were pure white as the originals. I sow the seed end of February and the germination was 100% and I was chuffed. When it came to flowering this year I had about 25% red flowers. I remembered I had two red variety one on the end of the row the previous season and they must have cross pollinated but the seed was all white. Well save some of the longest beans again and left to dry in the green house. To my surprise on splitting them for the seed I now have pure white seed and pure black seed. I'm going to have to try half a row of each I think just to see what happens.

IMG_6711.jpeg.90d4679cc47215608c7852147690bd50.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Arry said:

Heres a curious one and interesting I think. Last year I saved some runner bean White Lady seed I just saved the longest beans and dried them. All the seed were pure white as the originals. I sow the seed end of February and the germination was 100% and I was chuffed. When it came to flowering this year I had about 25% red flowers. I remembered I had two red variety one on the end of the row the previous season and they must have cross pollinated but the seed was all white. Well save some of the longest beans again and left to dry in the green house. To my surprise on splitting them for the seed I now have pure white seed and pure black seed. I'm going to have to try half a row of each I think just to see what happens.

IMG_6711.jpeg.90d4679cc47215608c7852147690bd50.jpeg

Cheers Arry

Maybe they're like lab pups...

• Haha 1