Technical Wizadry And Ferreting!!!

As I was driving down the A38 on Friday night windscreen wipers on full blast and with the forecast the same all weekend I questioned the wisdom of a Sunday jaunt out with SeanC. But it was bright and clear Sunday morning, I tried to wake my lad as he had insisted he wanted to come but was struggling to get his head off the pillow..... just getting the gear out of the door and Fin appeared at the bottom of the stairs "Dad, wait I'm coming"..........

We met Sean at 8 and he followed us down to the farm, gear out and it was a short walk to the first hedge........ We walked along the hedge waiting for the dogs to mark, once we had a decent mark we set a few purse nets, a stop net to any going back on us and a few run nets a long the top of the hedge......... Now Sean got his Technical stuff out, mini video cameras to set in the hedge, some controlled by an I pad... Fin loved it all... Ferreting and technology thats heaven for a 7 year old :laugh:

"put the camera where you think a rabbit will bolt" Sean said " :hmm: :hmm:" I thought ...Ferrets in, rabbit bolts straight into the run net and grabbed by my terrier.... no camera near it.. obviously :laugh:

then another bolted as I was setting a net in the hedge, luckily Martha was on it and pinned it in the stop net... The rabbits were'nt easy to bolt and the ferrets were constantly on the move, 1 ferret had gone on a bit and bolted a rabbit which come back towards us and hit a stop net, with a camera set on it :toast: .......... I hope it was on properly ( We'll find out later when Sean puts the incrimnating evidence on)....

We picked up and I suggested crossing the road to another hedge which is broken down into lots of smaller buries, a few rabbits were out Sean saw a likely looking lie and give it a kick for a rabbit to bolt out of and away...... we walked the length of the hedge and the dogs marked a few bits the first was a bout 8 holes, a few purse nets on and a little long net around the back, the bolt holes to the front were left for Seans big dog to have a run....... the ferrets were in for ages with no sign, we started to question a false mark when finally 1 bolted to the field to be swiftly picked up by Seans big dog....... which was wearing a camera harness, yes a camera harness.... it's like ferreting with David Attenborugh :tongue2:........

we let a ferret work on a bit with no nets, my Jack russel was quivering over a hole, I knew what was coming.... a big buck flew out straight into the terriers mouth it was great catch, unfortunately there was no camera on that one....

We finishe the day on a set of about 15 holes, we had walked on with a pocket of purse nets each and just netted a couple of holes and stopped the runs, around the edge.. ferrets in and after 5 mins or so one flew out into 1 of the netted holes, quickly pinned by Seans cracking little border, as I got stuck on the barbed wire...

The little border was marking a bolt hole and wouldn't leave it, Sean put a ferret in the hole and instantly a rabbit bolted and ran straight into the run net... result, and a nice way to finish the day.......

It was an enjoyable mooch, and the dogs earnt their keep, its the sort of place you need a dog to mark, all the buries look good but they don't all hold, both terrirs were bang on..... even if Bella is a little to enthusiastic with her marking :laugh:

Edited to say, we finish the day with 7, not big numbers but really enjoyable :thumbs:

And it can't be denied Sean takes a great photo

270113FerretingExeter_00432.jpg

270113FerretingExeter_0009.jpg

270113FerretingExeter_0022.jpg

270113FerretingExeter_0018.jpg

270113FerretingExeter_0025.jpg

270113FerretingExeter_0062.jpg

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 9

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I was driving down the A38 on Friday night windscreen wipers on full blast and with the forecast the same all weekend I questioned the wisdom of a Sunday jaunt out with SeanC. But it was bright and

I took my nipper for his first taste of ferreting the other week, and had the same...lol...   Nipper-"Dad Dad DAAD" me: "Shhh you gotta be quiet to not scare the rabbits" Nipper- "Why dad?" Me -"

A few more pics  

As I was driving down the A38 on Friday night windscreen wipers on full blast and with the forecast the same all weekend I questioned the wisdom of a Sunday jaunt out with SeanC. But it was bright and clear Sunday morning, I tried to wake my lad as he had insisted he wanted to come but was struggling to get his head off the pillow..... just getting the gear out of the door and Fin appeared at the bottom of the stairs "Dad, wait I'm coming"..........

We met Sean at 8 and he followed us down to the farm, gear out and it was a short walk to the first hedge........ We walked along the hedge waiting for the dogs to mark, once we had a decent mark we set a few purse nets, a stop net to any going back on us and a few run nets a long the top of the hedge......... Now Sean got his Technical stuff out, mini video cameras to set in the hedge, some controlled by an I pad... Fin loved it all... Ferreting and technology thats heaven for a 7 year old :laugh:

"put the camera where you think a rabbit will bolt" Sean said " :hmm: :hmm:" I thought ...Ferrets in, rabbit bolts straight into the run net and grabbed by my terrier.... no camera near it.. obviously :laugh:

then another bolted as I was setting a net in the hedge, luckily Martha was on it and pinned it in the stop net... The rabbits were'nt easy to bolt and the ferrets were constantly on the move, 1 ferret had gone on a bit and bolted a rabbit which come back towards us and hit a stop net, with a camera set on it :toast: .......... I hope it was on properly ( We'll find out later when Sean puts the incrimnating evidence on)....

We picked up and I suggested crossing the road to another hedge which is broken down into lots of smaller buries, a few rabbits were out Sean saw a likely looking lie and give it a kick for a rabbit to bolt out of and away...... we walked the length of the hedge and the dogs marked a few bits the first was a bout 8 holes, a few purse nets on and a little long net around the back, the bolt holes to the front were left for Seans big dog to have a run....... the ferrets were in for ages with no sign, we started to question a false mark when finally 1 bolted to the field to be swiftly picked up by Seans big dog....... which was wearing a camera harness, yes a camera harness.... it's like ferreting with David Attenborugh :tongue2:........

we let a ferret work on a bit with no nets, my Jack russel was quivering over a hole, I knew what was coming.... a big buck flew out straight into the terriers mouth it was great catch, unfortunately there was no camera on that one....

We finishe the day on a set of about 15 holes, we had walked on with a pocket of purse nets each and just netted a couple of holes and stopped the runs, around the edge.. ferrets in and after 5 mins or so one flew out into 1 of the netted holes, quickly pinned by Seans cracking little border, as I got stuck on the barbed wire...

The little border was marking a bolt hole and wouldn't leave it, Sean put a ferret in the hole and instantly a rabbit bolted and ran straight into the run net... result, and a nice way to finish the day.......

It was an enjoyable mooch, and the dogs earnt their keep, its the sort of place you need a dog to mark, all the buries look good but they don't all hold, both terrirs were bang on..... even if Bella is a little to enthusiastic with her marking :laugh:

Edited to say, we finish the day with 7, not big numbers but really enjoyable :thumbs:

And it can't be denied Sean takes a great photo

270113FerretingExeter_00432.jpg

270113FerretingExeter_0009.jpg

270113FerretingExeter_0022.jpg

270113FerretingExeter_0018.jpg

270113FerretingExeter_0025.jpg

270113FerretingExeter_0062.jpg

i had to double take on your first pic, i thought you'd photoshopped a fox head in there for a second ha ha ha. great pics and write up mate

ATB

Baz

i know its cheeky pal, but much the camera strapped to the lurcher skin ye?? can pm me if ye prefer, or tell me to fook off lol :D

Sean will have to answer any questions about cameras mate, I've no idea...

Cheers

Kev

love that terrier and beddy whippet, is it a half x or a 3/4? :thumbs:

them pictures are top quality, excellent, looked a top day, i normally just skip to the pics but your pics made me read it :D

Thanks a lot mate, the photos are by Sean he can use a camera no doubt.... She's 3/4 whip mate, the terriers mad, but useful lol...

Cheers lads

I'm the same Sirius, first went around his age, either ferreting, fishing, lamping, nesting... always outside... great memories too, :thumbs:

Fin kept nicking the coffee out of the flask and was a bit revved up for a while ... I swear if I had heard "Dad......." one more time, I was going to scream....... how many questions are there in a 7 year olds mind :laugh:

• Like 1

.. I swear if I had heard "Dad......." one more time, I was going to scream....... how many questions are there in a 7 year olds mind :laugh:

I took my nipper for his first taste of ferreting the other week, and had the same...lol...

Nipper-"Dad Dad DAAD"

me: "Shhh you gotta be quiet to not scare the rabbits"

Nipper- "Why dad?"

Me -" Because you do or they wont bolt"

Nipper - "Why Dad?"

Me (no reply)

Nipper- "Dad Dad Daad Daaaaaad but why"

Me- (head in hands)

:laugh: :laugh:

• Like 4