Bringing On Chicks

Hi all just a few questions on hatching and rearing chicks. A have got a small incubator ready to hatch some chicks but was wondering of some ideas how to bring them on in brooders as I don't have a lot of room. Any ideas or pics would be great. Thanks for reading

paterdalejoe thats pretty much how i do it but i put a sheet of hessian over the shavings for a week to 10 days its easy rolled up with the shit inside. ;)

johnpop you wont need much room for six chicks your hutch should do them until three weeks, i would have them off the heat by then too and start to harden them off for outside.

News paper can be worse than shaving, never had a problem with shavings, but had bow legged chicks on news paper as it can be slippy.

I start out with n old towel for the first week, then straight to shavings.

One of those cheap indoor rabbit cages, about 1.5 foot by 2.5 foot with heat lamp does for about 12 chicks untill feathered then an out door moveable run, and back in at night for a couple of weeks, then in with the rest of the birds

Easier in spring than winter.

do you know what breed your chicks will be ? large fowl or bantams? i like to mix some wild bird seed with the chick crumb as poultry corn can be a bit big for chicks to handle , also theres a very good mix of seed in it compared to poultry corn , in my experience you cant beat a broody hen rather than incubator but you shouldnt go far wrong with a heat lamp in the brooder . Ive never had a problem with sawdust/shavings although i tend to use a sheet of newspaper for 1st few days atb phil