The Traps Are Getting Set Tonight

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The fox has been to Maplin and bought the remote control for the camera   Apart from that I can't help, I'd be asking Socks if he has an alibi myself though

after catching this pair on the new outback cams, lets see if we can entice them into the traps tonight   http://youtu.be/E4vfNp8EKTU     http://youtu.be/faxOpF_Q-D8

Listen you arrogant little fukc I offered you the advice in all faith and the intent to help you maximise your chance of catching the fox's with over 30 years of experience behind me not 2 fukcing min

well, no catches as yet, but foxes haven't been back either, as the trail cams show no movement, also have three cctv cameras that capture and record movement, I think the snow has put them off

Im sorry if my wording, or the way it was typed came across wrongly, it was not intended like that, its just each pest job/species in different, depending on areas, undoubtedly some areas the traps need covering, here in essex/east london (most essex foxes are in fact RSPCA released victims, dumped here) I find its not needed

Im contracted to do pest control for london underground, solid paved platforms and large ballast on the track, covering cage floors is impossible, traps can only be placed and baited from 1am until 6am then need to be removed from station, everything is geared towards not upsetting paying customers, therefore a sheet of 2" mesh 8'x4' is placed on the floor in the bin store area, and baited for a week each evening at midnight with maccy D's and KFC chicken etc, stuff from the bins that they feed on, were conditioning them to walk on mesh, a week later the trap can be set and we normally remove the fox that morning,

doing private jobs, we have either paved gardens,laid grass etc, traps are placed and locked open for a week, customer tells us if trap needs re baiting, once bait has been taken we set the trap for catches

In all honesty, when it comes to our garden, Im too lazy, covering the mesh probably would give us a better catch rate, but Im not to bothered with the foxes, quite happy to watch young cubs playing, its only when they bother our animals that I step in,

the foxes filmed earlier this week were not put off by the security lights going on, nor by our dogs, and they looked hell bent on getting the fly cover off from front of cage, so Im sure when they come back, they will succumb to the steak...

The cage floor doesn't have to be covered in earth .... If the trap is placed in an area where the ground is solid such as a docklands industrial area etc then use a piece a of ply cut to fit to line the floor .... That's takes away the need to get the fox used to walking on mesh and means you can catch him far quicker and move on to the next job ........

What were they trying to get into

the kids rabbits, although these rabbits are nearly as big as the foxes, reckon the would put up a fight

Have you covered the floor of the trap ... Foxes really don't like walking on mesh ...........

well, people say that don't they, maybe Essex foxes don't read those rules, as I've caught and shot around 15 foxes in these two traps, rarely covering the floor

Maybe Essex foxes are as thick as the women then! :tongue2:

Not a chance, and 20yrs of marriage makes me an expert :cray::laugh:
  • Like 1

I must admit and this not being the norm.

I have caught foxes in the first night on uncovered cage floors in urban areas. I doubt it would be the same on a farm etc.

However i guess that foxes expect to walk on strange areas to get food they don't have a problem with uncovered floors.

In most situations a floor would definately be necessary. I don't really control them any longer now I no longer have anything they can damage.

That's an excellent tip from Socks.

I would add that the trap must be stable. A fox is easily put off if the trap rocks as soon as they step on the floor.

I guess that town foxes are much less wary than their rural counterparts.

• Like 1

ok, I'm a PLONKER, the outback cam's for some reason, being me :icon_redface: were not set to come on until half ten at night, as all the video footage was caught after 11pm, yup you guessed it, both foxes turned up at 8.30pm, one in the trap and one hanging around, anyway, after dispatching the fox I've re set the camera for 6pm till 6am

and re baited with salami

sorry bout the picture, crap phone

IMAG0029.jpg

ok, I'm a PLONKER, the outback cam's for some reason, being me :icon_redface: were not set to come on until half ten at night, as all the video footage was caught after 11pm, yup you guessed it, both foxes turned up at 8.30pm, one in the trap and one hanging around, anyway, after dispatching the fox I've re set the camera for 6pm till 6am

and re baited with salami

sorry bout the picture, crap phone

IMAG0029.jpg

Hope it works tonight pal

well, we have a HOUDINI fox, getting in from night work this morning, check traps, first one still set and baited, second one is end of garden, outback cam sideways onto it, bait gone and door shut but no fox, on checking the SD card, we have 4 moments of movement, the first three clips you can clearly see the door is still open, the fourth clip is me with torch checking trap, thats shut and bait gone??? bait cannot be taken from sides or end as smaller mesh in those areas, its a mystery,lol

http://youtu.be/AKJQ_eSbe50

door open

http://youtu.be/X2_85gwqIQ4

door closed

yet no clip of door shutting????????