what breed would you say transformed the terrier world ??

what breed would you say has really shaped the working terrier and really brought them forward to the working terriers we have today?? would it have been the patt / lakie / fell / jr / border / beddy / bull

i understand that alot have been mixed to bring the breeds we have today but there must have been a eureka moment when the dogs were first entered and at the time the owner thought that that is the dog that will shape the bushing / ratting / digging world.

whats your thoughts

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i think the locator shaped the terriermen of today more so than the terriers most terriers will go to ground and work weather they ve a locator or not on but how many of todays terriermen could dig to

Compaired to when ? Are dogs harder grafting then when brock was legal ? most of todays hard dogs would be dead in there first encounter ! Dogs of yesterday needed Brains not just blind courage.

It was never needed in decent working jukels,a quick fix that produces more for the wheelie bin than a working kennel.

Posted Images

i would have thought it was the bull n terrier. mix. there are decendents of the bullterrier all around the globe. that and the jrt. without the jack the other coloured terriers wouldnt be where they are now. this breed .also has a world wide following :yes:

• Like 2

Man :thumbs:

man is a factor in everything from the transport on the road down to his own arsehole, so man is always going to have an influance.

but would you say that the introduction of patt / lakie / fell / jr / border / beddy / bull blood is the reason we have the hard grafting dogs that we have today?

Compaired to when ? Are dogs harder grafting then when brock was legal ? most of todays hard dogs would be dead in there first encounter !

Dogs of yesterday needed Brains not just blind courage.

personally i think dogs need brains end of weather it be 50 years ago or today !

Compaired to when ? Are dogs harder grafting then when brock was legal ? most of todays hard dogs would be dead in there first encounter !

Dogs of yesterday needed Brains not just blind courage.

personally i think dogs need brains end of weather it be 50 years ago or today !

and a bit of blind courage ;)
  • Like 1

yes of cousre stig they need plenty of courage but blind courage is more hassell than its worth at times yes on some days it looks impressive but on other s after a long shift to ground it ends up in weeks in sick bay which in turn winds up said terrier as its not getting worked then once fit and ready to go its back to square one with the ground rattling and another lay up ahead some never change but some do eventually learn to take a wee step back and use the brain as well as the brawn !

The locator did more to shape the terriers of today more than any breed

i think the locator shaped the terriermen of today more so than the terriers most terriers will go to ground and work weather they ve a locator or not on but how many of todays terriermen could dig to a dog in a tricky place without a locator there s the twist !
  • Like 5

yea a fair point turkey but imo some of these mute dogs if given a bit more work would settle ! yes some never change there style of work and yes pre locator they d of been no use what so ever but i still think the dogs that were held in high esteem back then before locators are still the best type and what we all should strive to breed even tho we do have locators!hard dogs and i mean dogs that stay till dug not giving an inch and taking all that thrown at them are limited ie they ll never get the work over them that a steady sounding mixer will and there s always that thought of when they ll finally say enough is enough as was once wrote in a book i read anything in a fur coat with 4 legs can be sickened no matter how game it is !

Edited by dee mac

yea a fair point turkey but imo some of these mute dogs if given a bit more work would settle ! yes some never change there style of work and yes pre locator they d of been no use what so ever but i still think the dogs that were held in high esteem back then before locators are still the best type and what we all should strive to breed even tho we do have locators

But surely there blood lives on in some of todays terriers,

Allthough slightly diluted.

TUFFTY