Fitting Terriers?

Reading the posts on here, working terriers that suffer from fits, and strokes and sadly pass away seems to be relatively common. I was wondering if this is something that could be hereditery, and as worker to worker mating is preferable, does this perpetuate the illness. Could there be a medical problem that goes un-noticed by terriermen? My sympathy lies with any people that have lost a dog lately, no wish to cause any offence. Or is it just that the tykes give their all underground?

I would say its a lot to do with the work they do under the sod,its bound to take its toll on them.I had a red lakey type bitch that was hard as nails and in the end died from kidney failure brought on according to the vet by the stress from working to ground.

I had a nice red lakie that took fits.my mate has his litter brother as a pet and this dog is the same but not to the same degree

Some strains of lakie ( KC stuff ) are known to carry canine epilepsy so I put it down to this

The dog was PTS at just over a year old and it was a great shame but IMO any dog what so ever that has this problem should be PTS

If its a pet and you can afford the constant vets bills then that's your choice but a working dog should never be put through it

• Like 1

I lost a terrier a few weeks back now , it took a massive fit and had to be put to sleep , it had what they call a (seizure)sorry about the spelling , about a year back , the fits only lasted about 1 min and then he was back to normal , but the last fit was nearly an hour and he didn't make it , but I've got the mother to this dog and she has shown no sign of fitting ,but I've heard after talking too a few people the it's common in staffs ? Maybe my dog had staff in its blood a few generations back , who knows ,the sire was of old nuttall stuff ,