lurchers " English shepherd dog " anyone tried them?

cant see why it would it be any better than a collie x to be honest but could be a usefull x

shelgathering1_zpsdd714c70.jpg

The English Shepherd is an extremely versatile breed of working dog of the collie lineage, developed from farm dogs brought by English and Scottish settlers in the 18th and 19th centuries to the usa

Unlike some other herding dogs, as a breed English Shepherds have not been specialized to work one species of livestock.

The English Shepherd primarily is used on small diversified farms that have a number of different livestock species, including cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, and fowl. English shepherds both herd and protect livestock.

Temperament

The English Shepherd temperament is the defining characteristic of the breed, with high intelligence and often a unique type of kindness for those in his home, both animals and people. The English Shepherd is often an independent worker. English Shepherds are adaptable and learn routines quickly. Some can be watchful of strangers and are more one-person dogs. However, once he accepts people or children or stock as his own, there are few better caretakers than an English Shepherd.

If the dog's desire to enforce order is not channeled and directed to a suitable end by a strong, confident leader, he may exhibit many undesirable behaviors. Nevertheless, English shepherds can thrive as companion dogs in environments that provide sufficient mental and physical stimulation.

Working Life

English Shepherds are very quick to learn farm routines and will work independently with little training, but will benefit from some training and guidance. More than just a specialty herding breed, the English Shepherd is also a guardian of property and livestock, and a hunter of game and vermin on their territory. English Shepherds are also known for their ability to track and 'tree' raccoons and squirrels.

The modern English Shepherd is best suited for farm work, but they are used for hunting, search and rescue (SAR), therapy, and as competitors in dog agility, obedience, Rally obedience, tracking, and flyball.

English Shepherds are often larger than Border Collies, but the quickest way to tell the two apart is to put them on stock. Border Collies tend to herd with a distinctive strong eye contact and a crouching stance, while English Shepherds have an upright, loose-eyed herding style. English Shepherds can work all types of stock—from the meanest bull to baby chickens. Compared to others, they are prized above specialty herding breeds for being as gentle as possible or as tough as necessary with the stock.

This ability to rate their stock stems from the great empathy they have for their family and livestock. With the right upbringing, this empathy makes the English Shepherd a wonderful family dog. However, the same bossy nature which this breed excels at in keeping order on the farm can cause havoc in the local dog park where the English Shepherd often appoints himself as the leader or alpha dog.

I've looked at your extract on wikipedia and it seems to me that it was written by an American. Now I've nothing against Americans but often their "doggy" people get a bit over enthusiastic about things like herding ability. I've seen OESs, ("dulux" dogs) on sky TV described as "herding" but the footage doesn't really show much more than chasing. On utube you can find footage of show bred beardies supposedly herding but it's obvious that the sheep being herded are bottle reared and would follow their shepherd whether the dog was there or not.

I'd advise you to be VERY sceptical of claims of herding ability unless you've seen it for yourself. These dogs may be very capable but I've seen nothing yet to convince me that they'd be any better,or even as good as, the right border collie.

• Like 2

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prick ears and pig ugly.........but give me purpose over pretty anyday !!!   "Say Cheese !!"

wanted....................     some sucker to buy this dog so i can use it for stud an peddle the new colliex

Posted Images

cant see why it would it be any better than a collie x to be honest but could be a usefull x

shelgathering1_zpsdd714c70.jpg

Yes thats why I asked on here if anyone had one or had seen lurcher crossed with one!

The more you look at them and think about drovers dogs, men which were on the road for weeks at a time, this dog fitted the bill for them and must have been a very good hunter, there is only one way to find out for shore and thats to breed 1 litter of lurchers if this uk breeder with these 3 stud dogs will let use! I have sent her a email, sending a tex in a bit, I have a good bitch here just need the right dog.

Edited by kevin-Day

"Hot Tip" - find out if this woman imported them to work livestock and arrange to go and see them herding before getting too excited about them. Good luck anyway :thumbs: .

Just phoned the breeder and importer she has a litter of pups now 2 dogs 1 bitch left.

Edited by kevin-Day

shit

like 137 of your posts...

well come on just look at that dog why would you breed with that :blink: mug

We are talking lurcher real working dogs not longdogs :hmm: there is a lot more to lurchers than just killing hires :yes: do saluki longdogs make very good lamping pot fillers. :cray::blink:

ive got a collie xs 5/8 3/8 u silly mug :laugh:

Isn't it just a rebranding excercise? Something with a different name that will attract customers? I was born in a border collie household. My old ma told me the reason I was late learning to walk was because the collies herded me into corners when I did try to walk lol. I thought I was just a lazy b*****d!

• Like 2

When I was a kid there was packs of dogs like that round my aunties in manchester, bit of variation in the leg lengths but all black and tan collie mongrel looking things. My mate had one too and that old dog probably had hundreds of pups to his name coz he was always vanishing for the day and many a time we found him tied to a bitch on the rec ;)

Yeah they used to be lots dogs on the streets years ago but you dont see any these days not down my way anyway! the breeder up in Derby said she has a bitch with a very strong hunting drive, :yes: much leaner looking same shape as a saluki, she said her stud dog has a low hunting drive his more boxy, :bad: the breeder also told me she has a young dog that she bred which has just won the fly-ball championship! :thumbs: but she wont let anyone use them over other breeds :hmm: she said people have asked about putting her dogs over collies. :angel: She also said she has a litter of pups now but 650 each so thats the end of it for now! :cray:

If anyone would like to know more or buy a pup try Edenvillage UK English Shepherds Contact: Jackie Phone: 01642 671910

Edited by kevin-Day
  • Like 1

Wondered how long it would take for the advert! Buffooner

Lol,I suppose they are original droving dog lines,untouched,re discovered ,blah blah blah.

Seen dogs like that sold as pups for £120 up round hay on wye pmsl.

yeah £650 for original droving dog and at the end of the day they look to be a old line of Collie lurcher also there not KC doys yet!! :thumbs:

So £120 up round hay on wye sounds like you could be on the right track.! LOL :D

Edited by kevin-Day