collie greyhounds

Had collie and Irish terrier crosses right back to the mid 60's but when I was concentrating on hares or foxes I progressed to salukis and wheaten or bull cosses, although some of these crosses, especially the Irish terrier, would do all.

Using logic.........collies have been bred NOT to apply the mouth.......in other words, to hunt, stalk and get in position but to hold back at the crucial moment of strike. So I find it hard to credit a lurchers prey drive to whatever collie genes may be in its makeup.....I suppose it depends on how you define prey drive.

having had 3 colliexs with 1x colliex grey Bryn now, never thought collies were added for pre drive. more for (brain,good feet+coat, wind + bidable,) I think the prey drive comes from the running dog side. Lets face it alot of collies will only do what they want regards hunting either how many runs they want to do or face what quarry they want. A dog with alot of pre drive will hunt till it drops of face anything what ever the breed of dog . . :yes: Colliexs dont come over to me like dogs like that , you might get the odd few , but most i would say not :yes:

• Like 3

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is mine, 19 mnth old now, and working well, very clever and very commited at work.             Oh yes! and he`s a Hancock dog. Try not to listen to to many people who`ve never owned or e

Stock dog, cattle collie what ever you want to call it is every bit important as the running dog side. A good stock dog that can move a bad cow that wants to eats its lunch day in day out is the kin

having had 3 colliexs with 1x colliex grey Bryn now, never thought collies were added for pre drive. more for (brain,good feet+coat, wind + bidable,) I think the prey drive comes from the running dog

Posted Images

Stock dog, cattle collie what ever you want to call it is every bit important as the running dog side. A good stock dog that can move a bad cow that wants to eats its lunch day in day out is the kind I have and would use again and again.Me personally for what I do , I would stay away from the sheep only type dogs and especially the sheep trial types.

post-10472-0-13594600-1356540887.jpg

Edited by STUNTMAN
  • Like 4

I thought it was always known collies were born with natural pray drive in them regardless of how much work, they have been used for generations because of their working abilities

They are natural born herding dogs, what else would you expect from the working collie?

Would you expect them to be a rabbiting collie to be put to a greyhound or whippet to produce so called proper working parents?

Load of shite!

Collie blood is added to purely to add their prey drive that their ancestors have past down through generations

collies are added to a grey to add prey drive??? :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

fook me, so far in past few days i learnt colliesx's have bad feet an noo collies are added to greys to add prey drive, couldnae script this pish :laugh:

colliexs have bad feet dont think so. the beardie collies have 1 of the best feet on a dog to work the land that they do. my collie/grey will run on any ground from grass,deep ploughed to quarry ground and has never had a bad injury
  • Like 2

I thought it was always known collies were born with natural pray drive in them regardless of how much work, they have been used for generations because of their working abilities

They are natural born herding dogs, what else would you expect from the working collie?

Would you expect them to be a rabbiting collie to be put to a greyhound or whippet to produce so called proper working parents?

Load of shite!

Collie blood is added to purely to add their prey drive that their ancestors have past down through generations

collies are added to a grey to add prey drive??? :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

fook me, so far in past few days i learnt colliesx's have bad feet an noo collies are added to greys to add prey drive, couldnae script this pish :laugh:

colliexs have bad feet dont think so. the beardie collies have 1 of the best feet on a dog to work the land that they do. my collie/grey will run on any ground from grass,deep ploughed to quarry ground and has never had a bad injury

i have to agree with this have seen this dog catch on every surface (even tarmac) without a drop of blood!!!!
  • Like 1

I have to say that the collie cross with the best mouth...the best kill record....I've seen was Templekings Tanner. 3/4 greyhound x Beardie off Handcock. The same man had a 3/4 greyhound x border off a bitch I had sold to Scotty some years previously, I think his name was Ben, and he was a more honest dog who stayed better and had bettter feet. Tanners feet had every toe pointing in a different direction.

I have to say that the collie cross with the best mouth...the best kill record....I've seen was Templekings Tanner. 3/4 greyhound x Beardie off Handcock. The same man had a 3/4 greyhound x border off a bitch I had sold to Scotty some years previously, I think his name was Ben, and he was a more honest dog who stayed better and had bettter feet. Tanners feet had every toe pointing in a different direction.

Remember reading a few articles about tanner in the old working terrier and running dog mags before earth dog running dog mags came out. a pic from one of the articles. was this a dog you knew?

ferretingpics471_zpsc676b4a3.jpg

• Like 1

Iv seen good cillie xs taking all manor of game over the years its all down to you start them to early and they will quit think of it like a kid you would not expect your 5 year old to walk to a 16 old bully and for him to get the betterof him and its the same with dogs give them to much they will jack and even have black outs ask bird lmfho

• Like 1

Iv seen good cillie xs taking all manor of game over the years its all down to you start them to early and they will quit think of it like a kid you would not expect your 5 year old to walk to a 16 old bully and for him to get the betterof him and its the same with dogs give them to much they will jack and even have black outs ask bird lmfho

first off all your a dick. second of all you can give a dog the best start at taking fox putting all the odds in its favour the fact of the matter is if it aint got the heart it aint going to be killing them on a regular basis if at all. thirdly bird said it was with a problem with not getting enough oxygen to the brain? how the f**k as that got anything to do with starting it too young? he could of not started it until it was 3 it would have still had the problem!

first off all your a dick. second of all you can give a dog the best start at taking fox putting all the odds in its favour the fact of the matter is if it aint got the heart it aint going to be killing them on a regular basis if at all. thirdly bird said it was with a problem with not getting enough oxygen to the brain? how the f**k as that got anything to do with starting it too young? he could of not started it until it was 3 it would have still had the problem!

well no lets look at the problem ray queers how come he dont black out not and run hard or was that the excuse need to move the dog out and join the crew with bayinh lurchers ??????iv had quite a few people pm me and says the stuff ray biggs stuff up that much it make HIM look the fool iv also had someone else say his mrs fid not trust him so take yout toung from up peoples arses and lighten up ya muppet 60LB IN WEIGHT GOOD TURN OF PACE GOOD COAT IM SICK OF SEE THE SAME SHITE OVER AND OVER AGAIN HOPE THE GSD WORKS OUT FOR YOU BIRD GOOD LUCK BUT DONT BIG IT UP AND THEN FOOK IT OFF AT 16 MONTHS OLD PASSIN OUT OR KILLED YA MRS N NEXT DOORS CAT

• Like 1

god youve got a bee in your bonet aint you, whatever the reason bird got rid of tod for, has fook all to do with anybody else but bird. his dog his choice, yes he may go on abit but is what your doing any different :hmm: simple fact is not all dogs stay with the same owner from 8 week until death due to a variety of reasons sadly not all with the truth attached, not the case with tod from what ive read. at the end of the day he was given away in good faith end of. as ive said before im glad everything has worked out for him and his new owner and long may it continue, god help the lad if at some point in the future he has to get rid of him as he will have to face another spanish inquisition like this one and the one last night :thumbs:

well no lets look at the problem ray queers how come he dont black out not and run hard or was that the excuse need to move the dog out and join the crew with bayinh lurchers ??????iv had quite a few people pm me and says the stuff ray biggs stuff up that much it make HIM look the fool iv also had someone else say his mrs fid not trust him so take yout toung from up peoples arses and lighten up ya muppet 60LB IN WEIGHT GOOD TURN OF PACE GOOD COAT IM SICK OF SEE THE SAME SHITE OVER AND OVER AGAIN HOPE THE GSD WORKS OUT FOR YOU BIRD GOOD LUCK BUT DONT BIG IT UP AND THEN FOOK IT OFF AT 16 MONTHS OLD PASSIN OUT OR KILLED YA MRS N NEXT DOORS CAT

what (sad fecker you are) get life . ive told you for the last time you are 1 person that , ( who opinion ) means jack shit to me :yes: . So carry on with your sad life , prob this is the only thing you good for . :laugh: thats it for me over+ out :bye:

god youve got a bee in your bonet aint you, whatever the reason bird got rid of tod for, has fook all to do with anybody else but bird. his dog his choice, yes he may go on abit but is what your doing any different :hmm: simple fact is not all dogs stay with the same owner from 8 week until death due to a variety of reasons sadly not all with the truth attached, not the case with tod from what ive read. at the end of the day he was given away in good faith end of. as ive said before im glad everything has worked out for him and his new owner and long may it continue, god help the lad if at some point in the future he has to get rid of him as he will have to face another spanish inquisition like this one and the one last night :thumbs:

why do you keep sticking up for bird or is it true you see him and give him all the info off here and tell him to tell people not to do topics on certin dogs and you will lift there ban sounds a bit strange to me one rule for one one rule for another

why do you keep sticking up for bird or is it true you see him and give him all the info off here and tell him to tell people not to do topics on certin dogs and you will lift there ban sounds a bit strange to me one rule for one one rule for another

:laugh:

post-896-0-54433200-1356710214.jpg