keeping your dog fit

You could walk them as many miles as you wanted per week but 1 run on long ears will do alot more. When mine are running twice a week they dont do much between apart from quickly stretch there legs, resting is just as important when running regular :thumbs:

Rubbish,walking does much more than just getting the dog into shape for its work in the field,so many think that a dog can be taken out of its kennel and worked to its potential,a dog thats strengthened with road walk,getting its feet, muscles, tendons and nails into suitable shape,will fare better and longer when the time arises,a dog that is,nt prepared properly for the task at hand is more prone to injury,usually muscles,feet and tendons.
  • Like 3

Theres fit and then theres running.

Nothings going too get them into the right fittness without running quarry, BUT a dog should be maintained at a certainly level of fittness (Just say the off season) so that its easyer too getting them back into running fit as leave them off and then trying too run stuff straight away your on the path too injury of over worked slacked tendions soft mucsle ect..

I dont give mine road work as such, As i live right in the middle of now where so its 300yrds to the feilds and just get a few mile free running all yr only thing i do is make sure there nails are trimmed and filed back from time too time.

Good grub and rest is just as important as anything eles.

You could walk them as many miles as you wanted per week but 1 run on long ears will do alot more. When mine are running twice a week they dont do much between apart from quickly stretch there legs, resting is just as important when running regular :thumbs:

Rubbish,walking does much more than just getting the dog into shape for its work in the field,so many think that a dog can be taken out of its kennel and worked to its potential,a dog thats strengthened with road walk,getting its feet, muscles, tendons and nails into suitable shape,will fare better and longer when the time arises,a dog that is,nt prepared properly for the task at hand is more prone to injury,usually muscles,feet and tendons.

Your right in what your saying for before there running fit and pre season but once you have them running fit and they stay injury free nothing is no where near as good as being behind long ears. The most important walk when running a few times a week to me is the morning after they have run, this will stretch them off after a hard previous day. Hope i am not talking rubbish again :whistling:

Your right in what your saying for before there running fit and pre season but once you have them running fit and they stay injury free nothing is no where near as good as being behind long ears. The most important walk when running a few times a week to me is the morning after they have run, this will stretch them off after a hard previous day. Hope i am not talking rubbish again :whistling:

No.