They had to be snared, shooting wasn't an option, one shot would have alerted the keepers and would have chased the birds back onto the moor and had the farmer or crofter been caught they'd have lost their tenancy and their livelihood.

They were snared in the years when there were huge numbers, my old boy told me that by late afternoon mid September the stooks would be black with them and a bag of fifty or sixty could be taken, lifted under the cover of darkness.

Just another example of the efficiency of the snare!

Cheers.

I have just read a book called <GULLAG BOSS> its about how the prisoners survived in the Siberian camps, the snow was very deep and almost covered the bushes ,partridges fed on the buds and the prisoners set horse hair snares among them,this provided enough meat plus some to preserve.

I agree with Mickey, don't be too quick to ridicule someone's idea, I don't believe there's many creatures on this planet that can't be snared. It would need a bit of thought and ingenuity in some cases but I reckon could be done!

Intrestingly during and just after the second war thousands of grouse were snared when they came down to visit corn stooks in the fields that bordered grouse moors especaialy in Aberdeenshire and Banffshire. In those days it was a way in which some tenant farmers and crofters paid the annual rent or the local poacher could make a bob or two.

I didn't think grouse would feed on wheat..... :blink:

I agree with Mickey, don't be too quick to ridicule someone's idea, I don't believe there's many creatures on this planet that can't be snared. It would need a bit of thought and ingenuity in some cases but I reckon could be done!

Intrestingly during and just after the second war thousands of grouse were snared when they came down to visit corn stooks in the fields that bordered grouse moors especaialy in Aberdeenshire and Banffshire. In those days it was a way in which some tenant farmers and crofters paid the annual rent or the local poacher could make a bob or two.

i bet they would after 3ft of snow for 3months, the grouse and white hairs were on the lower feilds the last time we had snow for while, hunger makes animals do funny things

i bet they would after 3ft of snow for 3months, the grouse and white hairs were on the lower feilds the last time we had snow for while, hunger makes animals do funny things

I don't think the stooks would be left out till the snow came, the sheaves would be put into the stack to await the thresher.