saluki natural retreiving?

Salukis are not natural retrievers but if they bond and are part of a pack ( not kept out in a kennel/shed) then they will try their hearts out. There is also a natural instinct - or so I have found - to hold the prey and wait.

Saluki lurchers have had many generations of being bred for a totally alien landscape so you can't blame them for being confused! :whistling:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This bitch, Willow, was a natural retriever. Without any form of training she just wanted to present me with her catches.....even through thick hedges with barbed wire fences. Only after the long runs

In my experience some saluki bred lurchers struggle to remember to come back themselves never mind retrieve game, salukis were bred to run long distance at a high speed & are exceptional at this.

99% of what determines whether or not a Saluki type will retrieve depends on the bond the dog has with its owner and how much time the owner spends developing that bond and playing the right sort of g

What's the difference between retrieving pre-ban and now?

the difference is most people would associate a saluki type and pre ban to hare coursing. and the difference between a hare and a rabbit is alot.

Really? I thought hares just had bigger ears? The rest of them is the same though and they run the same.

are you pissed? or new to the game haha! hares running the same as rabbits, and only difference being longer ears..... :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

What's the difference between retrieving pre-ban and now?

the difference is most people would associate a saluki type and pre ban to hare coursing. and the difference between a hare and a rabbit is alot.

Really? I thought hares just had bigger ears? The rest of them is the same though and they run the same.

are you pissed? or new to the game haha! hares running the same as rabbits, and only difference being longer ears..... :laugh: :laugh:

Look at my Avatar Pic :boogy:

• Like 1

No one is saying there not clever, just that they are not natural retrievers. The odd one might but not many do. I've only ever had 2 natural retrievers, both bitches and neither had saluki in them. My old dog, ( now 10 ) is probally the most obedient dog I've seen, but he won't retrieve game. He will fetch balls and dummy's all day long and the odd rabbit but everything else he just stands over. He is heavily saluki saturated.

No one is saying there not clever, just that they are not natural retrievers. The odd one might but not many do. I've only ever had 2 natural retrievers, both bitches and neither had saluki in them. My old dog, ( now 10 ) is probally the most obedient dog I've seen, but he won't retrieve game. He will fetch balls and dummy's all day long and the odd rabbit but everything else he just stands over. He is heavily saluki saturated.

yea i kno what yoursaying but most saluki x iv seen do

This bitch, Willow, was a natural retriever. Without any form of training she just wanted to present me with her catches.....even through thick hedges with barbed wire fences. Only after the long runs on big land would she stand over her kills, catching her breath till I got to her.

DSCN0364.jpg

Stunning bitch that

ive a 3/4 saluki grey, and he was a natural retriever didnt teach him a thing as a pup, let him be a puppy till he was 12months, took him out and straight back, and thats with all game, i think its alot to do with trust in salukis, just my opinion tho shaun

ive the same x ina bitch and she is exactly the same mate straight to hand.also my bro in law has a saluki bull whippet. I gave him that does the same.

99% of what determines whether or not a Saluki type will retrieve depends on the bond the dog has with its owner and how much time the owner spends developing that bond and playing the right sort of games with the dog as a pup. All mine have retrieved with minimal retrieve training, and whilst I'd never say that I am a top trainer, I do spend a lot of time making my dogs feel valued and important to me. Carrying prey home (back to the den) is, or should be, a natural instinct in all canines. It's generally people who mess up how their dogs feel about them. Just my experience with this sort of dog.

• Like 2