Working Bedlingtons 2005

A few Beddy pictures.

Fisrst ones of my young dog Spike with a tree rat he caught tonight.

The last one one taken at Nicky Newburns F&MWTC Show yesterday. Aluns dog Seamus, all the way up from Welsh Wales. A very nice working type Beddy.

post-3549-1184008756_thumb.jpg

post-3549-1184008932_thumb.jpg

post-3549-1184008953_thumb.jpg

post-3549-1184009001_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

how spannable are beddies, ive got one here whos 5 months old and i can just touch my fingers together, i understand i have short stubby fingers (a family curse) but surely at that young spanning souldnt be a problem

A lot are too big, they also need to be narrow because of their size, I can span Milly easily enough as with most of the other dogs, the ones I have put up pics of.

See that gap in the gate behind tag in the pic below...

ireland732.jpg

It's 3 3/4" wide......... :icon_eek:

ireland739.jpg

We couldn't work out how he was getting out.... :no:

This is him laying in the grass, methinks the lil fecker would get through a letter box

ireland730.jpg

David anymore pics from Nicky show ? met Alan in the Rhonnda show, nice type suited to what he does...

That's a great photo! What a squeeze. Is that gap about 4 inches? You'd never believe it without seeing it. My late Beddy was a great one for squeezing under things like gates, but I doubt she'd have tackled a gap like that.

My pup is still spannable, but is over 17 inches at the shoulder, and he's not 8 months old. He doesn't look big, to me anyway, and I got a shock when I measured him. He's the bloke whose brother died of polycystic kidney disease, so I won't breed from him, as he's probably a carrier. It is a variable disease, well known in Bull Terriers in which it has autosomal dominant inheritance; but in Cairns and Westies it is recessive. It is not known in Bedlingtons until now, but looks to be recessive in this case. Has anybody come across it in terriers?

Great read lads Beds aren t common over here any ive seen at the shows are nt nearly as tidy or strong looking dogs as these ones,a fella i know brought one over from England to breed lurchers from and said he never had as hard a terrier in his yard.

Is there no tests you could get done to see whether that dog carries that disease?

Where are you, Pip, if you're not in England?

No, there's no test to screen for the gene for the disease. It's very common in Persian cats, and they do have a gene test for them, but so far they can't get anything working for dogs. They can do an ultrasound to see if the dog has the disease, that is, symptoms, but if the dog is healthy and is a carrier of the dud gene, you can't tell. One day they'll have a test, just as they have for the copper toxicosis gene. One thing I was considering was breeding this Beddie to a Whippet to get lurchers, but I'm now cautious about spreading a disease gene about - if he has it!

I'm not saying that working type BEDLINGTONS don't suffer from illness and disease, but but would I be right in assuming that Bedley's dog is a show bred dog? These PSEUDO BEDLINGTONS carry more than their fair share of medical complaints, copper toxicosis, liver/kidney problems and chronic eye problems to name but a few.

Generally speaking, these mutant parodies of what was once a good all round sporting terrier are a pitifull shadow of the real thing.

I could go on, but there is money in passing these poodles off to the gullible dog buying public, "Looks of the lamb and courage of the lion" - Don't make me laugh.

Where are you, Pip, if you're not in England?

No, there's no test to screen for the gene for the disease. It's very common in Persian cats, and they do have a gene test for them, but so far they can't get anything working for dogs. They can do an ultrasound to see if the dog has the disease, that is, symptoms, but if the dog is healthy and is a carrier of the dud gene, you can't tell. One day they'll have a test, just as they have for the copper toxicosis gene. One thing I was considering was breeding this Beddie to a Whippet to get lurchers, but I'm now cautious about spreading a disease gene about - if he has it!

N Ireland ive never sen a bed work but i do believe the lad as he never got to breed of it as it didn t last that long,so it wasn t a sales pitch

David,

you are dead right: he is a show bred Bedlington. That's all you can get in this country. I'd have got a working type if any had been available. Of course, I could have imported one from the UK, but you have to know what you are doing, what's around, what lines are sound, what breeders are honest etc, etc. Basically I wanted a pet anyway, but one that might bush a few rabbits and be fun to take on country rambles. These show-bred (pseudo) Bedlingtons are great pets and very appealing in character, and I love this little bloke. I hope before long to go to the UK to suss out the dog scene, and maybe bring a good Beddy home.

I wouldn't accept on face value that the show types are worse than others for diseases etc. I'll bet there is CT in working strains, and they wouldn't all screen breeding stock the way reputable show breeders do. Mind you, it was show breeding within a small gene pool than produced a lot of these problems in the first place.

I'd put up a photo of my dog if I knew how.

Not read this thread for a while, sorry about you pup jack :thumbdown:

No worries mate, I put it down to experience and blamed myself... a lot has changed in my life over the last few weeks and I have moved to pastures new...... My GSD's are doing fine, both owners keep ringing me and telling me how good mannerered and well trained they are... Which I knew anyway... My Lurcher bitch is doing fine, Just wish she was with me now... Fecking game everywhere.....

And my terriers, that came with me are settling in well... :D

ireland727.jpg

ireland670.jpg

When I get some time I'll fill u all i as to what I'm doing !!!

nice pics jack im putting that hard fell dog on nickys bitch ill send you a photo of him if you want one let me know coco

jack mike phoned we might breed freddy to maisey they b nice pups

Not read this thread for a while, sorry about you pup jack :thumbdown:

No worries mate, I put it down to experience and blamed myself... a lot has changed in my life over the last few weeks and I have moved to pastures new...... My GSD's are doing fine, both owners keep ringing me and telling me how good mannerered and well trained they are... Which I knew anyway... My Lurcher bitch is doing fine, Just wish she was with me now... Fecking game everywhere.....

And my terriers, that came with me are settling in well... :D

ireland727.jpg

ireland670.jpg

When I get some time I'll fill u all i as to what I'm doing !!!

nice pics jack im putting that hard fell dog on nickys bitch ill send you a photo of him if you want one let me know coco

jack mike phoned we might breed freddy to maisey they b nice pups

Freddy... FFS :no: speak to Printer use one of his..............

• 2 weeks later...