Working Bedlingtons 2005

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

Been some great dogs on this thread :thumbs:

i was just wondering does anybody have a working bedlington(full bred) for sale,only want it for bushing and used on rough ground.if you have the right dog then please p.m cheers

Sniper ;)

BRL its a well known fact that bedlington blood was added to pats and lakie/fells now and then you will see one with a curly top knot and hare type feet you get the odd throw back spring up now and then that has a lot of bedlington traits

I heard/read somewhere that the bedlington terrier has the hardest bit of all the earthdogs, now I would have to be clear i am making a comparison to Jack Russels, Lakelands, Fells, Patterdales not Staffs or Strong Terriers. I would think this was to do with the job the Bedlington evolved to do which was to despatch a fox ran that was in an undiggable place. Also I have read that it used to be a tactic of the old fell breeders that when they noticed a drop in hardness in their lines they would infuse some bedlington blood. Can any of the Bedlington breeders confirm or dispell these things.

There are a lot of Myth and legends surrounding Bedlingtons, there's a lot of history that has been written about them, truth is today, Bedlingtons as a whole are a far cry from what they originally were... a good 'hard' working bedlington is very difficult to find, a 100% genuine digging bedlington dog that I would use for stud is a myth.. I have yet to see one.. and haven't seen one in the last 10 years.. I hoped to find one through this site... I started the thread back in 2005 and am still looking..

I have failed myself on breeding a good 100% digging type... a few of mine have gone on to others and are working..

I've recently lost Tag due to him not winning and not liking it, digging lads will know what I mean, Coco needs bringing on by someone with more patience than I have, he's a tad nervous and spooky around strange dogs, that's no good to me as I work with a pack of foxhounds... he's gone to a lad of here who I know will spend time and effort with him, hopefully he will turn out a good digging dog, he goes to ground now at 8 months old and has an exceptional nose, maybe by the middle of next season we might see some good results..

So, at this moment I have Milly (retired) and the two pups as pictured above, both seem very forward, the bitch pup more so, at times being a fecking nuisance as she is into everything and nothing phases her.. fingers crossed for another 2 years... Bedlingtons... pah.. who'd have em !!! :blink:

Oh, and if anyone knows of a good DIGGING dog that is 100% and has a couple of seasons under him, let us know..

I won't hold my breath though