• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

They're good strong pup's! :clapper: its good to see proper worker to worker pup's as most litters you see advertised have solely rabbitin parents living off a "yeah the grand sire was a hard earth dog but the dam and sire have only seen rabbits and rats" :icon_eek: type of attitude that'll eventually water down the proper foxing beddy earth dog blood. I think beddy's should be bred more responsibly like other breed's (fells,patt's etc.) whereby earth dog to earth dog, worker to worker are bred, this in turn should keep the true working beddy blood alive instead of turning it into mix mash hit or miss type dog that seems to be getting more common. sorry about my rant :icon_redface: but what are your views?

cheers

They're good strong pup's! :clapper: its good to see proper worker to worker pup's as most litters you see advertised have solely rabbitin parents living off a "yeah the grand sire was a hard earth dog but the dam and sire have only seen rabbits and rats" :icon_eek: type of attitude that'll eventually water down the proper foxing beddy earth dog blood. I think beddy's should be bred more responsibly like other breed's (fells,patt's etc.) whereby earth dog to earth dog, worker to worker are bred, this in turn should keep the true working beddy blood alive instead of turning it into mix mash hit or miss type dog that seems to be getting more common. sorry about my rant :icon_redface: but what are your views?

cheers

don't be sorry about the rant mate... I totally agree, if it don't work it shouldn't be bred from, get them in the ground and test them... if they're any good and there's a need to breed, do it !!!

note to everyone: ask yourself this.. WILL I ADD TO THE GENE POOL OF GOOD WORKING BEDLINGTONS IF I USE MY DOG AS STUD OR BREED BREED MY BITCH, if you are not sure of the answer, you shouldn't be doing it ... JMHO...

don't get me wrong i think rabbits and but especially rats are the bread and butter for the beddy's but they should do the job they were bred for and thats foxes and other biting vermin. As for putting it upto a fox and see what happens that could be done and said for any terrier, i mean that a russel free to a good home in the adtrader might do a fox but i think we've all heard of exceptions that work but on the whole worker to worker produces a higher success rate in litters, as its a selection of certain desirable traits. As for the rabbiting beddy litters then i've no doubt some will do the job even if they're parents didn't but its pot luck what genes/traits (call it what you will) pass on from they're lines.

Purists say that beddy to beddy is the way to breed such as the gutchcommon or KC beddy's, but i believe sometimes when and if needed an injection of fresh blood such as fell, lakey or perhaps glen of imaal is needed to improve coat, jaw, gameness etc would be beneficial but what do people think about outcrossing?

cheers

My view is that you should at least get them in front of a fox - the results can be surprising.

As for rats and rabbits, it's all good fun, but any dog can do that.

would you ever breed spike to another beddy dave? or just for lurchers?

To the right bitch I would Kev, and if the progeny didn't work out , I'd leave it be.

To many dog owners get kennel blind, and want to let their (sometimes untried or unsuitable) dogs add to the genepool, this is done sometimes to boost their own ego, but adds little of a positive nature to the true working Bedlington.

In answer to your question, I would say my dog had every chance of turning out some handy lurchers. - All I need is someone with a greyhound. ;)