Working Bedlingtons 2005

sj good idea ill find some white board and knock one up , where do you get this to small from SJ its the way forward if the breed is to survive as a working terrier, went to hereford game fair today and put coco in [ any terrier over 12 months] and won it judge said quote -- my god a proper bedlington i havent seen one like that for years we used to have a fair few around the valleys, good to see a worker well done my lad -- said it all really

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

sj good idea ill find some white board and knock one up , where do you get this to small from SJ its the way forward if the breed is to survive as a working terrier, went to hereford game fair today and put coco in [ any terrier over 12 months] and won it judge said quote -- my god a proper bedlington i havent seen one like that for years we used to have a fair few around the valleys, good to see a worker well done my lad -- said it all really

I wonder how many will take up the offer of having their pics taken, hope they all do would be good to see...

Well done with Coco, it wasn't me that paid the judge I don't know him, honest :whistling:

Anyway back to size, for a dog I would say that tag is on the small side, not that I'm complaining, get the working side of it right, I'm sure we can up the height a bit, if a good sound working bitch was to be used... If he does cover Milly I will certainly be keeping some larger of the bitches back...

Sorry to be a fly in the ointment SJ, but a great number of "Bedlingtons" would pass this white board test with flying colours, but the same handy sized dogs will never see the sharp end of a fox, and if they did , most wouldn't have the pluck to deal with it.

Coversley, I got a Vixen and two largish cubs on friday night with my 17" dog, in quite a tight spot in an earth under some scrap cars in my mates scrap yard. He told me a bloke had been in a while back with two Russel types, and all the dogs did was a lot of barking, with no end product.

My big lad was in and out in 35 minutes, job done.

Lets not forget that it's Bedlingtons we are talking about here, and if anyone thinks that by merely miniaturizing these dogs, this will bring back the glory days, they are deluded.

GN had some whoppers in his yard from time to time, and he recognized that these dogs have other qualities worth saving.

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that most of the very small types I have seen at recent shows have Lakie blood in their veins. I'm not knocking it as working terriers go - I've had such dogs myself, and very good they were, but theres no disguising their ancestry.

I spoke to Printer on the phone a while ago, I asked him if I could buy his bitch pup, I even said he could retain breeding rights. He answered with a polite no. :D

Edited by david2363
Sorry to be a fly in the ointment SJ, but a great number of "Bedlingtons" would pass this white board test with flying colours, but the same handy sized dogs will never see the sharp end of a fox, and if they did , most wouldn't have the pluck to deal with it.

You're not being a fly in the ointment mate, I'm just trying to drum up some discussion.. it was not meant to be a test I am genuinly interested to see the range in size of the dogs out there . For us ALL to see...

Lets not forget that it's Bedlingtons we are talking about here, and if anyone thinks that by merely miniaturizing these dogs, this will bring back the glory days, they are deluded.

GN had some whoppers in his yard from time to time, and he recognized that these dogs have other qualities worth saving.

I agree, I know Tag is small, when put in fron of that board he look's really small, shocked myself to be honest, and YES I would prefer him to be at least an inch or two bigger... I've said his size will be the undoing of him, he just doesn't realise that he hasn't got the jaw power of a bigger dog..

I handled 'Blue' Georges' old dog when I was up at his yard years back, I only wish that Tag had half his make up and jaw strength...

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that most of the very small types I have seen at recent shows have Lakie blood in their veins. I'm not knocking it as working terriers go - I've had such dogs myself, and very good they were, but theres no disguising their ancestry.

True, cant keep putting other breeds into these been done to death......

I would of thought from my limited knowledge that aiming to keep the size down is fairly important as over sized is more of a problem with bedlingtons than undersized.

I think if you breed good workers to good workers then the size often creeps up, as with working pedigree whippets which i often see at 23"

Shepp

Guest proudy

Can the people who work Bedlingtons to ground tell me what style of working do their dogs use? As in the old days they were mute & engaged their quarry, I'd find it strange to have a baying Bedlington. Also, the dogs I've seen at shows sizewise over the years seem more like whippets., these seem far too small & the well made dogs are getting on "18 - "20.

Can the people who work Bedlingtons to ground tell me what style of working do their dogs use? As in the old days they were mute & engaged their quarry, I'd find it strange to have a baying Bedlington. Also, the dogs I've seen at shows sizewise over the years seem more like whippets., these seem far too small & the well made dogs are getting on "18 - "20.

up and at em, mixing it, killing and trying to draw their quarry, if they cant get a hold on it you will hear them baying.. :whistling:

What are you saying 14" is to small, to work fox ??? small for a Bedlington yes, to work, hmmm that's a matter of opinion.. :whistling:

Guest proudy

up and at em, mixing it, killing and trying to draw their quarry, if they cant get a hold on it you will hear them baying.. :whistling:

What are you saying 14" is to small, to work fox ??? small for a Bedlington yes, to work, hmmm that's a matter of opinion.. :whistling:

"

No mate, what I'm saying is the "13 dogs I've seen have had no substance, no weight about them. They look like Bedlington x whippets with snipey heads. The stronger dogs that are well made are 4 - 5 inches taller. Just my opinion Jack :thumbs:

"

No mate, what I'm saying is the "13 dogs I've seen have had no substance, no weight about them. They look like Bedlington x whippets with snipey heads. The stronger dogs that are well made are 4 - 5 inches taller. Just my opinion Jack :thumbs:

You know you're right, he is lacking in substance I wish he was bigger and had a bigger head and stronger teeth, but I can only work with the tools I have at the moment,

I can try to improve on it, Milly isn't lacking in substance, she throws big pups and by putting him over her I'm hoping to get some bigger stronger bitches that will hopefully earn their keep..

All opinions are welcomed, it's good to see others are taking some interest, Cheers Proudy !!

Guest proudy

"

You know you're right, he is lacking in substance I wish he was bigger and had a bigger head and stronger teeth, but I can only work with the tools I have at the moment,

I can try to improve on it, Milly isn't lacking in substance, she throws big pups and by putting him over her I'm hoping to get some bigger stronger bitches that will hopefully earn their keep..

All opinions are welcomed, it's good to see others are taking some interest, Cheers Proudy !!

My comments weren't aimed at ur dogs Jack as I haven't even seen ur dogs. I'm talking of the dogs I've seen in the north east mate. Its the same as the people who keep borders up here, never seen one with any working scars, then the usual crap is 'a terrier doesn't have to have scars to mean it works', meaning the dog is sitting baying 6ft away or they're really kidding themselves. Its good that there's someone who is perservering with a breed & working them the way they should. How long have u been breeding/working them Jack?

My comments weren't aimed at ur dogs Jack as I haven't even seen ur dogs. I'm talking of the dogs I've seen in the north east mate. Its the same as the people who keep borders up here, never seen one with any working scars, then the usual crap is 'a terrier doesn't have to have scars to mean it works', meaning the dog is sitting baying 6ft away or they're really kidding themselves. Its good that there's someone who is perservering with a breed & working them the way they should. How long have u been breeding/working them Jack?

I've had bedlingtons, bedlington type for nearly 20 years now mate, had some failures, had some good, and some exceptional ones..

The ones that have bayed 6ft of their quarry have no place in my yard, I prefer them to be up close and personal.. Milly has killed more to ground than have bolted Tag is heading the same way, they don't give an inch... as said in an earlier post his size will be the undoing of him if he continues to work like this..

I haven't bred many litters in all of this time, but Milly having retired from working Fox to ground, because of her working style is now my only option for breeding something useful.. fingers crossed....

The problem with size will always rage ,regardless of breed. As different areas have different size earths.For example around here it is mainly dug out rabbit warrens or bales.Completely different terrain to borrans of elsewhere. No one will agree.I do agree that enough out crossing has happaned

its not all about keeping the size down as differnt land require different styles but for an earth dog its got to be able to get up to its quarry, an 18inch pot belly lump is no use the same as a tiny thing with no bone structure or muscle power my ideal dog would be 14 in tts good strong head just spanable with the heart of a lion iam nearly there with Ted hes a strong dog but a little bit big in the chest but hey you can t have everything but ill keep trying because iam a tenaous barsteward, on the other side i have a patterdale bitch with a small head strong body and is to hard for her own good shes a mixer not a bayer but a bloody good working earth dog all the same, its whats in the dog!! not the make up BIG or small